Costa Rica – it was “a little damp”

AfricIan

22 minutes ago, AfricIan said:

Annie - I have a confession, it's a Frosted not Frosty Flasher, I only realised my mistake when checking its scientific name and found that the Frosty range is Cuba through to Puerto Rico not Costa Rica.  I hope you agree that even Frosted Flasher is much more fun than Astraptes alardus :)

Dare I say, Ian, your explanation put the 'icing' on the cake for me? (Boom!)

The sloth is just adorable, what lovely photos. Is its coat really that green, or is that a trick of the light? It makes it look as though it's covered in a sort of Spanish moss type substance. And, I think it's the only green I've ever seen on a mammal, unless you count hippos emerging from a dambo covered in Nile cabbage.

42 minutes ago, Galago said:

Is its coat really that green, or is that a trick of the light?

No Annie, it really is that green.  Green isn't the "natural fur colouration" which is a more normal brown but their very slow movement and high humidity of their environment allows algae to grow in their fur and that's what gives them the green colour.

Apologies, I've just realised I've not included the extensive sightings list from Baru & Marino Ballena National Park

Birds: White-necked Puffbird, Wedge billed Woodcreeper, Black-hooded Antshrike, Chestnut-sided Warbler, American Pygmy Kingfisher, Red-lored Parrot,
Grey-headed Chacalaca, Scarlet Macaw, Melodious Blackbird, Magnificent Frigatebird, Palm Tanager, Green Honeycreeper, Golden-naped Woodpecker,
Tropical Kingbird, Snowy Egret, Bare throated Tiger Heron, Brown Pelican, Peregrine Falcon, Common Black Hawk, Amazon Kingfisher, Blue-winged Teal
Tricoloured Heron, Black-crowned Tityra, Golden-hooded Tanager, Blue Dacnis, Red-eyed Virio, Montezuma Oropendola, Scaly-breasted Hummingbird, 
Boat-billed Flycatcher (29)

Mammals: Collared Peccary, Agouti, Coatimundi, Brown-throated three-fingered (toed) Sloth, Mantled Howler Monkey (5)

Reptiles: Anole Lizard, Spine-tailed Iguana, Pacific Basilisk (3)

Sorry about the delay folks and thanks for waiting!

On 1/8/2023 at 5:14 PM, janzin said:

I was about to say "that's not a Hairy Woodpecker!" as it looks totally different than "our" Hairy Woodpecker in the Eastern USA, but I looked it up and indeed it is a Costa Rican subspecies. I didn't know, don't think I've ever seen one there.

I'm glad I got it right! I'm not a birder by any stretch of the imagination so most of the ID's have come courtesy of Gustavo/Lesley's list and the Merlin Bird App ;)

Part 4: Corcovado National Park, Pacific coast (Casa Corcovado Lodge)

Heading further down the “West Coast Highway” we turned off to Sierpe and a cruise down the Sierpe river into the Pacific Ocean with more things to see:

AL9nZEW7_kb1jAIDwF1fcgzhJ0kj3DP7f1XUMVf5

Yellow-crowned Night Heron

AL9nZEXesZjUfJ68gWp2XdXahSijs1VVVexrDcnl

Green Tree-boa

AL9nZEVw69YEhijJXFE6_AWdn6u_9es7uU0KntUJ

Common Potoo

AL9nZEVleaypS8szyP133Qbsy0UiKDQs1V0eMrZ3

White Ibis

AL9nZEW2FtyXPN5aQwncOfDzD4dhGtBwp1JyvNr4

Northern Tamandua (Anteater)

AL9nZEX9oT10zrGuPztcbJhIXVt3LHhXBvvTects

Turning left out of the river mouth into the Pacific & down the coast to Casa Corcovado – and this is where things got “a bit damp!”
We knew that Casa Corcovado was a “wet landing” ie no pier for the boat to dock so we were all prepared in our shorts & beach shoes, our luggage was in waterproof sacks, Barbara & Gustavo had dry bags & everyone else had “protection” for cameras etc.
The transition from river to ocean was a bit up-and-down but our skipper judged the swell to perfection and the ride down the coast was uneventful however the landing was anything but. The boat had to navigate through the rocks with the waves smashing against them, wait for a lull then nip through, spin round & back up to the beach where a small army of folk were waiting in the water to hold the boat as we disembarked one at a time.  Unfortunately, we got hit by a wave and everyone at the rear, including me, got absolutely drenched.

Video - "wet" landing

IMG_8411.jpg.699b68da76330c38c6fd765b4e71f475.jpg
Thanks Trish!!

Once we got up to the lodge, courtesy of the little tractor – the path up is STEEP, our rooms were outstanding and the hammock “pagoda” was pressed into service as an unofficial drying rack.

EBYAE6214.JPG.14fb7737bfc53b27f77292d8be5f1a9b.JPG

AL9nZEWHrxEn5-w1agaoUhbHPZpoVRasHFgawELj

AL9nZEUM7j-fOPiyiNHUf7BJjsQnpb2Vj457fhss  AL9nZEU6cLtWIEBnoLWz2Ip4M-J9eVYCnXwfzrze

AL9nZEXhIBbF317ImbNlFedxTjV9J8fe2_OGSf_A

They do a mean 5pm Margarita (with snacks) & the view isn’t bad either!

AL9nZEUZFPqsbq9kwBalVSw0eL_VoSXzrIAYcP1g  AL9nZEWaW68atKWdDGZAXgeAo3BzU-TBBqFVDdd8

The grounds were, once again, lovely to wander around and Gustavo was intrigued when I referred the “walking trees” as Triffids ;)

AL9nZEWZV_SRhl2WC9Dxw8bfkXkiiYAKPoEgO_uq

Edited by AfricIan
Correct video link

You had me at "Margarita "...:)

I've always wanted to stay here in addition to our usual stop at Bosque del Cabo so looking forward to hearing how it was. 

Alan

Again, there was much wildlife to be seen in the extensive lodge grounds & trails.  The trails were very wet & muddy so the lodge issued wellies were most welcome and it rained!

XYQZ5208.jpg.8a4e01eae55d8878cef0fc8754b10fd7.jpg

SFSH5250.jpg.7b25e66159862a4a4bdf5cd6d0a6f00f.jpg

AL9nZEXyF1xbvH2bLx2fmHNYJtTzHvKW_MapC2v2

Scarlet Macaw

AL9nZEWPGa57ic9JFtQPIizHHRdV0nTBEfQM0Y2h

AL9nZEXrGZ9VTND0_LMB98YWOMEG2l00OQ7rqyiG

Broad-winged Hawk (juvenile)

AL9nZEXPWWqBq20owQHlVea0-uRc8cy2SyWd9wjr

Crested Caracara

AL9nZEXf4K_AyjVNt46pgIz2RfTwM-eq9RIOG2Hn

Great Curassow

AL9nZEVrAyxFzMZIoAzfW-IsYb2Qw0HiPIPkS780

Baird's Tapir

AL9nZEVwarDQjBkBW3aSFacn_aQtm-O5BR9ODlB_

AL9nZEVKVnUWsZu2HVc2-LCVrZ_MixIOb8Qdh3EG

IMG_0529.jpg.97b4d23f452c8cf43b3fd5db0e018e7e.jpg

Crested Guan (one from Lesley)

IMG_0483.jpg.8d72005aff9cd9dc52ee927a7641fe61.jpg

Central American Spider Monkey (& another of Lesley's)

AL9nZEWMLc4e6c-KZCHRPAErHt7snMk18FDMTrYj

Yellow-throated Toucan

AL9nZEW51p7L-A88wGocFsPvZ2OsdycU1jXl9YIm

Great-tailed Grackle

AL9nZEWv8sYILYR4f7MgfW2QjmQlcLaiADeld6f3

Bare-throated Tiger Heron

AL9nZEWkoY5KaL1YGQ1GI66a-bTnlh9YmG4Qio_c

Common Black Hawk

We also headed back out on the boat to do some snorkelling at Caño Island but the weather in the previous days had stirred the sediments up somewhat so the water was a bit murky however it was great to get into the warm waters and we see did lots of colourful fish and some cool things both on the way out & on the way back.

IMG_1263.jpg.4a1d9ef127a940ceda24f1f669040799.jpg

Pantropical Spotted Dolphin (+ Frigate Bird looking for a cheap meal!) 

AL9nZEXdx2qMeb-6PsxP6gtkuqOQSoeOARkdK0Ah

Humpback Whale (calf)

And mother - amazingly close to the shore!

AL9nZEVn6YWJmpD4LNaa-AOJA9e9x_6n1FAr7LwO

AL9nZEV2cSruj1yv-aXA6ZPNViVyyIT342wZrUVJ

Corcovado Sightings (birds): Little Blue Heron, Cattle Egret, Yellow crowned Night Heron, Common Potoo, White Ibis, Osprey, Yellow-headed Caracara,

Yellow-throated Toucan, Spotted Sandpiper, American Oystercatcher, Black-throated Trogon, White Hawk, Great-tailed Grackle, Crested Guan, Great Currasow, 

Broad-winged Hawk, Brown Booby, Black Tern, Masked Booby, Royal Tern, Laughing Gull, Laughing Falcon (22)

(mammals):  Northern Tamandua Anteater, White-faced Capuchin Monkey, Central American Spider Monkey, Baird's Tapir, Humpback Whale, Pantropical Spotted Dolphin

(reptiles & other): American Crocodile, Green Tree Boa, Tropical Wolf Spider

Next: Part 5 - Piedras Blancas NP, Playa Nicuesa Lodge

Edited by AfricIan
Add acknowledgement

Holy crap, you had tapirs just wandering around the grounds?  Were they habituated?

1 hour ago, Atdahl said:

Holy crap, you had tapirs just wandering around the grounds?  Were they habituated?

These weren't in the lodge grounds as such @Atdahl, but at the farthest end of the "picnic area" by the beach   The main buildings are about twice as high up the hillside as the "Margarita sunset point" so there is much less human traffic than around the lodge buildings.  They are at least "semi-habituated" as they weren't fazed by us so long as we kept a good distance away from them but when Fabien (he of the dancing lemur impression at the end of the landing video :D) did a face-plant in the mud when he slipped trying to creep a little bit closer they disappeared into the forest in a flash.

Wow, awesome to see Tapir!

Thanks @Atdahl& @michael-ibk, I'd hoped to see Tapir but would have been happy to get a glimpse through the trees so to see them grazing in the open was "a bit special".  Thanks also to everyone else for hanging in there, not long to go now ;)

Part 5 - Piedras Blancas NP, Playa Nicuesa Lodge

Nicuesa Lodge is on the Golfo Dulce so we jumped back into the boat for the short trip up to Drakes Bay, transferred to a minibus and over the peninsula to Puerto Jiménez where it was back onto another boat across the bay to Nicuesa Lodge.
En-route, we’d stopped off at a small trapiche to see how they used traditional methods (& equipment) to crush the pure cane juice from the canes and turn it into “Miel” (honey?) & a very tasty “fudge”.  We also stopped at a “gold mine” – standing by a stream in the rain watching someone panning earth wasn’t my cup-of-tea but the coffee & breads afterwards made up for it. 

It was dry & clear right across the Golfo when we left Puerto Jiménez but about half way over our destination disappeared from sight and we resigned ourselves to another soaking. :( 

Rooms at Nicuesa Lodge were, once again, excellent

AL9nZEUWmswm6mtWmPEH6OkD9JxBqXcjjunI7bjH

AL9nZEUtWwYtW13czqeqybKA_1IBt3mw2ZuskqIC  AL9nZEVJHfKay9FrjVuDXgUhlxE-Aq2wWA2WPnm-

But this was frequently our view out and as a consequence everything was constantly damp
AL9nZEXkwjAczzzIyEAogiD0rf96faqzp91wasi- 

AL9nZEXDoIjtUPFpANO39itT63E2mmFyAr8m_xle  AL9nZEXti-m-MnV_eE4xYOcqt6YnhN_4QvYMfZ4Y

Again, wellies were provided for walks on the trails and on the beach.
UGKG0131.jpg.8dad4fdf8d2fc70b276953ae8095099a.jpg

(Thanks Barbara)

AL9nZEUCXIuwTfBm8vs2T5lf6TVrDh82sB_UkXQ4

Flat-backed Millipede

AL9nZEUZJV0dzENkCp-MZzPnyxSZV5-QFrTjVxJI

How many Flat-backed Millipede can you count (some may be "cuddling")

We had a “close encounter” with a Fer-de-Lance that was at the side of the trail, quite close to the lodge - well done to our local guide for spotting it :o

AL9nZEUAGpDcK28U81czkJKjy-U1usUGjPrRAHIE

AL9nZEX1qlLWrFaDgZwz087NqG8tBknLWQBph6DF

AL9nZEWUxspnNVEY_-iOMW97POInXxb4EuATOm61
White-faced Capuchin

AL9nZEUu-Dx58eaxa-5bRM0QirlLdovffbtA6UdK

Owl butterfly

AL9nZEWn_ePfYicg3GW0OEsmodj6l40v8pZSVpWL

Leaf-mimic katydid

AL9nZEUuYwKxGExne7r7lmvTFNuSk6tAKklDFSRq

Yellow-throated Toucan

AL9nZEWxHkH7R8dssKQh1Ii67ryZn930i33EZ_-g

Great Curassow (Vicky's iPhone again!)

AL9nZEXA3FasGI7fojxt0Ru9U8fSVIAeh8Xon3c2

Summer Tanager

AL9nZEVUKUmEh8_EZATpbX1Y5Lk8nV14R8AUVnDz

White-tipped Dove

AL9nZEV98XMG8u31yKMa14pvDRmIczTW2DvYvCAc

Eyelash Pit Viper (again, iPhone through Gustavo's spotting scope)

IMG_0647.jpg.bf8dace58aa6f05e4d598ba788ef410d.jpg

Basilisk eating its Crab lunch (another from Lesley)

AL9nZEUOTD_JmX8vjyxZ_hVknmrLKfrPHVu-tXgL
Carmine Skimmer Dragonfly

We also had an enjoyable morning cruise down the Rio Coto mangroves, which again produced some good sightings:

AL9nZEUSG2uB-aNJwg8z2cxVErioUD5kQekHa-Ck

Ringed Kingfisher

AL9nZEXMc4-tStIhWMufwWZxoafd00Jm04-NWWcp

Snowy Egret

AL9nZEWaXr5WvkMosu9GixjpzZyFpv8RRDapXXqR

Juvenile Little Blue Heron

AL9nZEWUaSzimAPjciPToQdhriT4WgpmuJ3PLjCi

Green Iguana

AL9nZEVV1QpxSlvu0kDjJjDq0VZiB-vZtg71ZpQi

Yellow-headed Caracara

AL9nZEVu621d53YZxAM7bFhgS7pmIpSM6nsXitz7

Yellow-crowned Night Heron

AL9nZEXLkn7y4jvAUub4OlE1U1nbfm0d340qLx0c

AL9nZEVUfm-3Hp5y71FSAnHyf43urnUkkf7EyDM1

Boat-billed Heron

AL9nZEXPKTjmVgticSF8f1Uj8TDrlddWtTiHxM22

AL9nZEWMKKnneWAl21-uHwUY6fvH-YR52yaWP0Wr

AL9nZEX_83qRzs7pwvi7YJ3t26w6PqPP0XT0AQwb

Cocodrilo (which was the name of our room at the lodge!)

AL9nZEWCGEsGqpSR_uIh_XQrnRob8R3u9P4d4REg

As we headed back to Nicuesa, a school of dolphin and, a first for all of us, “flying” Spotted Rays

AL9nZEXf2-5tDchA54U_EV21ECsbRXXG76F1g5K_

Bottlenose Dolphin

6Y7A2847.jpg.83c00aef8aae0feb70189c4becd131fa.jpg

6Y7A2848.jpg.fce6e92e650b64acb8b88a74c82a77a4.jpg

Eagle Spotted Ray - A huge thanks to Trish who was the only one of us to successfully get a worthwhile photo.

Sightings - birds: Common Pauroque, Double-toothed Kite, Mistletoe Tyrannulet, Purple-crowned fairy, White-tipped Dove, Long-billed Hermit, Ringed Kingfisher, Lesser Yellowlegs,

Green Heron, Scarlet-rumped Cacique, Grey-headed Kite, Pale-vented Pigeon, Groove-billed Ani, Mangrove Swallow, Northern Jacana, Southern Lapwing, Northern Rough-winged Swallow, 
Great Blue Heron, Boat-billed Heron, Whimbrel, Willet, King Vulture, Green Kingfisher, Neotropic Cormorant, Ruddy Turnstone (25)

- mammals: Bottlenose Dolphin

- Reptiles & other: Fer de Lance, Eyelash Pit Viper, Narrow-headed Tree Frog, Glass Frog, Green Iguana, Eagle Spotted Ray (6)

Next: Part 6 – Back to San Jose

What an assortment of fascinating species!  I counted 7 millipedes. Trish clicked at the right second for the flying Eagle Spotted Ray.

On 1/13/2023 at 2:55 AM, Atravelynn said:

I counted 7 millipedes.

Nice try but 7 is a bit on the low side, I can count 14 but then I’ve got the advantage of being able to zoom in on the iPhone’s 12MP original - There was also a bit of an orgy of “cuddling” going on :wub:

Part 6 – Back to San Jose

Our route back from Nicuesa Lodge to San Jose was back across Golfo Dulce to Puerto Jiménez where we’d pick-up the SANSA flight direct to San Jose.
But first, we needed lunch

AL9nZEUazZu45q6XdBeTyXd_rfT21OA8fN7IZRbO

That’s what you call a seafood pizza!

IGCR3140.jpg.3b82551f01cbee89610fa3ca95c71bce.jpg
“Departure Lounge” at Puerto Jiménez airport (Thanks Barbara)

AL9nZEUv5BGpzFWc1Fm8U33K-WPxc22tlH6yEYEX

Grey-headed Chachalaca

Then it was into the familiar cabin of a Cessna Caravan for our flight north.  All started well with a great sunset over the Pacific

AL9nZEWq2LEGk5APTAPLY1aJzulpynxBkDottfDk

AL9nZEVPXvKaYmadX_fE8VhXkvheGjc1wR1Hbebt

but when we got about as far north as Marino Ballena NP we started circling :(. The captain was also checking the weather radar display which was a very disconcerting mass of red – he flicked it on then pretty much straight off again so I don’t know if he was trying not to worry his passengers but eventually he came onto the PA to say that there were big thunderstorms ahead and San Jose was currently closed so we were diverting to Liberia (town not country!) to refuel and see what the weather was going to do. Picking his route through the weather display sea of red, I think he did a great job of avoiding the worst of the torrential rain, thunder & lightning before an uneventful landing at Liberia where Lesser Nighthawk & Double-striped Thick-knee added to the bird count.  None of us fancied a road transfer down the Pan-American Highway so it was with some relief that 45minutes later we were told that the thunderstorms had moved south (as if we didn’t know that, having flown through them!), San Jose was open again & all the delayed flights had now landed so we were clear to resume our journey :).

Part 7 – El-Iral

Trish was heading back to France but we had a “spare day” at the end of the trip to tie in with the direct BA flight home so Lesley/Gustavo had arranged for us to head out to El-Iral, a working dairy farm ~10km NE of San Jose where they have good walking trails (& restaurant).  It was a beautiful sunny morning in San Jose & Gustavo assured us that the forecast was good.  
The views from the restaurant were great but by the time we’d ordered our lunch, sorted which trail(s) we were going to walk and downloaded the app/appropriate maps the clouds were rolling in.

AL9nZEU3-8ixC9g2fLXssRouHsD_qRprHd2FyBAk

We’re a hardy bunch though and “enjoyed” a couple of hours walking the trails where a Long-tailed Silky Flycatcher added to the birds list before an excellent lunch and back to San Jose. 

SODY0039.jpg.cfa38185b6427ce567f52ae4d5904f17.jpg

(Lesley)

AL9nZEUE2diZavXCo7SuOyntPi27IdrlM-D7gism

AL9nZEXSWkmAIQMJBzJzaSwUFRi1Ydl3sNqKbaOH

Conclusion: , it does rain in the rain-forest and we did get “a little damp” at times but as you’ll have seen in the photos, we did have a fair amount of sun and we had a super time. All the lodges were excellent and I’d struggle to pick one over another - they were each great in their own way. Organisation and guiding was first class, we couldn’t have hoped for better travelling companions and our range of sightings certainly exceeded my expectations.

Thank you to Lesley, Gustavo, Barbara & Trish for an unforgettable trip :):) and everyone for sticking with my ramblings!

Thank you for an excellent report, great photos and engaging writing.

It looks like you had a good  itinerary. And as you say, it does rain in the rainforest!

The “flying “ ray is amazing, I didn’t know they did that

1 hour ago, TonyQ said:

Thank you for an excellent report, great photos and engaging writing.

Thank you, I've enjoyed reliving the trip.

1 hour ago, TonyQ said:

The “flying “ ray is amazing, I didn’t know they did that

I didn't either. Prior to this trip if someone had mentioned ray, my immediate association would have been a "Blue Planet" image of a winged fish swimming gracefully through the water, not leaping 6ft into the air, apparently "for fun" although the best reason I've read is to demonstrate their strength and swimming skills.

It was great fun "returning" to Costa Rica through your report Ian, thanks so much for sharing! Very successful trip indeed. Love the flying Manta. :)

Thanks @michael-ibk, throughly enjoyable trip & I’m so jealous of Trish for those ray photos, tempered by the knowledge that I got the only decent shot of the Tamandua & best one of the Quetzal - what goes around comes around :)

Great trip report, Ian. I am glad that you showed us that there is still plenty of new locations to be visited in The Land of the Pura Vida! Wet ... yeah, it can be wet in Costa Rica. And cold.

Edited by xelas

offshorebirder

Flying Rays, Baird's Tapirs - Holy Cow, man!

On 1/20/2023 at 10:25 AM, xelas said:

yeah, it can be wet in Costa Rica. And cold.

We were obviously aware that it was likely that we'd get wet at times Alex and were also warned that we should pack some warm clothes for the "cloud forest" part of the trip but it was never too cold. Although we were weight restricted for the flight back up to San Jose we were able to leave a bag of "warm clothing" in the minibus when we jumped into the boat at Sierpe & were reunited with it back in San Jose.

On 1/21/2023 at 2:08 AM, offshorebirder said:

Flying Rays, Baird's Tapirs - Holy Cow, man!

Some things we were "expecting" to see Nate, some things we were "hoping" for and some, like the flying rays, were just never on the radar - even now!

• 1 year later...
Dave Williams

I'm late to the report but reports don't always get my attention unless I'm investigating possibilities! A really enjoyable read and some fabulous sightings. I must admit wet conditions are far from ideal and one I would avoid where possible, but the Lake District wouldn't be so if it wasn't a high rainfall area and likewise Costa Rica's rain forest!

I have to say that of all the sightings the flying Manta was top for me!

Thanks Dave, it’s always a pleasant surprise when a TR suddenly reappears on the recent activity list. 
Yes, it was wet a lot of the time but it only restricted, never stopped, us doing what we planned to do. Whether it would have been appreciably drier going in, say, January  I don’t know but given that “seasons” seem out of kilter everywhere these days I suspect probably not. 
That “flying” ray sighting was so unexpected it remains one of my all-time favourites & I’m so glad that Trish managed to capture the moment