PeterHG's eighth BY

PeterHG

I find waxwings beautiful, so I appreciate all the stunning photos, although I expected more from you!

Thanks all! 

I'll add some birds again from earlier in the year, which I had not posted so far.

286. Egyptian Goose. Arkemheen, August

P8041766-X2.jpg

287. Eurasian Magpie. Arkemheen, April

P4257670-X2.jpg

288. Garganey. Arkemheen, May. One of the very few I saw this year.

P5049967-Edit-XL.jpg

289. Great Cormorant. Arkemheen, January. Very common. I don't know why I hadn't posted this one before.

P1116187-Edit-X2.jpg

290. Purple Heron, Ameide, April. Only one or two sightings this year.

P4176177-XL.jpg

291. Western Jackdaw. Texel, May. With a common tern, trying to keep it away from its nest

P5141600-Edit-X2.jpg

292. Dunnock. Flevoland, April

P4156122-Edit-X2.jpg

293. Greenfinch, Ameide, April.

P4054819-Edit-XL.jpg

294. Curlew Sandpiper. Arkemheen, September.

P9052265-XL.jpg

295. Tree Pipit. Leusden. April. This is all I got this year.

P4196864-Edit-XL.jpg

296. Yellowhammer, Overijsssel, May. The only sighting of the year.

P5202371-XL.jpg

297. Red-backed Shrike. Overijssel, May. Rare in our country so also the only sighting.

P5182231-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

I wish all my friends here a Merry Christmas !

And to you Peter. If these are your end of the years ebcs, I'm gonna kill myself. 😁

Thanks for the kind wishes and the great photos!

Hope you had a merry Christmas, and wishing you a happy Boxing day!

23 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

If these are your end of the years ebcs, I'm gonna kill myself. 😁

Not at all, Michael. I did much better in the EBC category (and quite often) , but somehow I mostly delete those before realizing I might need them at the end of the year... :) . 

On 12/25/2023 at 5:04 PM, michael-ibk said:

And to you Peter. If these are your end of the years ebcs, I'm gonna kill myself. 😁

that might be a slight over-reaction

3 hours ago, Soukous said:

that might be a slight over-reaction

You may be right, but who are we to question Austrian traditions…..

1 hour ago, PeterHG said:

You may be right, but who are we to question Austrian traditions…..

:lol:

Happy New Year Peter ! The past year we both had our health issues but overcame them and thank you for helping me discover the OM-1 and that incredible 300 mm lens :)

And the same wishes to you, Peter! I am glad to came to like the combo and I do hope to see lots of beautiful photos from you next year. Starting with Rwanda, of course!

I had hoped to be able to reach 300, but it was not to be. Just some final duplicates, taken few days ago. . 

PC309646-Edit-X2.jpg

PC309726-Edit-X2.jpg

PC309701-Edit-X2.jpg

PC309762-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

Well, I haven't decided yet in what form I'll participate in the BY thread this year, but participate I will. I wish all my birding friends here a very happy and bird-rich 2024! I really look forward to seeing everyone's contributions again in the months to come.

michael-ibk

Glad you are in again a Peter, as always really enjoyed your beautiful photos. 

@PeterHG, this year total you will surpass with Thai birds only in 2024!

Edited by xelas

16 minutes ago, xelas said:

this year total you will surpass with Thai birds only in 2024!

I hope so and look forward to it. Thank you for all your valuable tips! It is still very uncertain whether we can actually do the trip. Aftermath of my cataract surgery, unfortunately. But who knows, there is still some time.

michael-ibk

Fingers crossed for you Peter! 

Kitsafari

What a set of beautiful photos to end your 2023 count with. I'm so glad you'll be back in 2024 with more excellent photos to look forward to.  are you planning a Thai trip? 

21 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

Fingers crossed for you Peter! 

Thanks, Michael!

34 minutes ago, Kitsafari said:

are you planning a Thai trip? 

Thank you @Kitsafari! Yes, we are hoping to leave on the 22nd of January for a self-drive around Thailand. @xelashas provided us with a lot of good info on birding locations and more. I am still struggling with double vision after the cataract surgery two weeks ago and so far it is not improving at all. That will do wonders for the number of birds I’ll be able to see, of course :P ! Unfortunately none of them will be sharp and driving a car is still not possible. I do trust this will get better eventually, but whether that will be soon enough for the Thailand trip is another matter. We’ll see. We’ve never been to Thailand before, so we’re looking forward to seeing lots of Asian lifers….!

Peter Connan

I hope your double vision disappears tomorrow Peter!

46 minutes ago, Peter Connan said:

I hope your double vision disappears tomorrow Peter!

Thank you, Peter!

2 hours ago, PeterHG said:

I am still struggling with double vision

The fantastic OM-1 will do the job for you. And if you need a driver ...

36 minutes ago, xelas said:

The fantastic OM-1 will do the job for you. And if you need a driver ...

;)

Good luck with your eyes, I hope they settle soon

Kitsafari
9 hours ago, PeterHG said:

Thanks, Michael!

Thank you @Kitsafari! Yes, we are hoping to leave on the 22nd of January for a self-drive around Thailand. @xelashas provided us with a lot of good info on birding locations and more. I am still struggling with double vision after the cataract surgery two weeks ago and so far it is not improving at all. That will do wonders for the number of birds I’ll be able to see, of course :P ! Unfortunately none of them will be sharp and driving a car is still not possible. I do trust this will get better eventually, but whether that will be soon enough for the Thailand trip is another matter. We’ll see. We’ve never been to Thailand before, so we’re looking forward to seeing lots of Asian lifers….!

Oh dear. I hope your eyes adjust very soon for the Thai trip. If nothing else, just point and shoot - i do that all the time, sometimes with surprising results, but of course fall far below your standards. Enjoy the food! and colourful birds!