Zim Girl's 6th Big Year 2023

Zim Girl

Thank you @TonyQ.

26 minutes ago, PeterHG said:

Excellent photos! I don’t know how common the Coal Tit is for you, but I haven’t seen one in years…

We see them regularly on our garden feeders Peter, and also quite easy to find, especially in woodland.

Edited by Zim Girl

I am also impressed by the Coal Tit ! Never seen one until now this or last year but who knows I might find it in the next week together with the Crested one  ;)

Thank you @xelas, @BRACQUENE and @Galana.

20 hours ago, BRACQUENE said:

I am also impressed by the Coal Tit ! Never seen one until now this or last year but who knows I might find it in the next week together with the Crested one  ;)

Now I would be very impressed with finding a Crested Tit. We will be on the hunt for them in the Cairngorms in June.

Peter Connan

Really lovely shot of the pigeon!

michael-ibk

I´m fascinated with all your Coal Tit fascination - it´s our most common breeding bird here in Tirol. So if your craving gets too strong I can show you a couple of thousand. :D

Lovely photos Angie!

Lovely photos!

well we've never seen a coal tit or a crested tit, and we hope we'll get chances of better sightings of all the tits in May!

Dave Williams

Excellent photography and some great sightings Angie. I haven't seen Twite in a few years although there are some fairly reliable spots not too far away.

Crested Tits are still on my wish list for some decent photo opportunities whereas the Coal Tits that frequent our garden are ignored. Strange isn't it how familiarity changes your perspective and vice versa. Today's lifer is tomorrows also ran.

Kalaharikind

What lovely birds! The Kestrel and Feral Pigeon are lovely.

Your photos have such a gentle and tranquil feel to them - I really enjoy that! 

16 hours ago, Kalaharikind said:

What lovely birds! The Kestrel and Feral Pigeon are lovely.

Your photos have such a gentle and tranquil feel to them - I really enjoy that! 

Thank you very much for saying.

I also love that yourself and @Peter Connanboth liked the feral pigeon when you have so many lovely ones in SA.  

So now to a bird that I was hoping to save for number 50.  However I am keeping back so many now in the hope that I can do better, and with the weather so rubbish at the moment, it might take too long.  Knowing that I probably won't beat my UK best from last year, I am trying to only post the photos I am happy with.  I have so many that just needed better light/angle/closer etc, etc.

Early last week we spotted a Barn owl hunting in fields about 20 mins away, down the lanes from our house, while walking the dog.  I didn't have my camera but the owl was quite distant so wouldn't have been good pics anyway.  A couple of days later we tried again, this time with camera.  But just as we got close to the owl field it poured with rain.  We carried on for a bit and then turned round when it stopped raining.  The sun came out and as we got back close to the field we saw the Barn owl fly across the road and off down to the far end of it.  We quickly sneaked along the cover of the hedge to the gate and watched.  It was a long way off across further fields but we waited and slowly it worked it's way back towards us.  

There are lots of photos, but I make no apologies as IMO, in this country watching a Barn owl hunting for around 15 minutes is up there in top wildlife experiences and I love owls :D.

UK 46.  Barn Owl

P1550602c.jpg.ebb444fd211200c2e5b2148434dd9fb8.jpg

P1550604c.jpg.dffbc0f2b778d00e71226ad59f97e372.jpg

P1550608c.jpg.fe30b059dc1b1789c2b7c55d6d7ab2d2.jpg

P1550620c.jpg.809d11b327c562e6dbfb9ba0427f4eb8.jpg

P1550623c.jpg.b17733e2432f4de4d15b7065a9c9690e.jpg

Then it turned and flew right towards us.  It came to within a few metres before veering off.  This was my best picture as I just couldn't get the camera to refocus in time as it got closer.

P1550633c.jpg.42eb8d41db5262462da8ba49b3698a31.jpg

It carried on hunting across the field and seemed to be doing ok as it dropped to the ground a few times.  We also saw a second owl fly into the field and they flew close to each other just for a few seconds and then we lost sight of it.

A last couple of pics of the first owl before it disappeared into the distance.

P1550649c.jpg.2daf0047abb993d95e45f8e94da27a4c.jpg

P1550652c.jpg.d5a83494c6922a3240b13bdc5d17d2a0.jpg

Near home  -  17/03/23

Edited by Zim Girl

That is an amazing sequence of the Barn Owl hunting! What an experience that. It’s have been. I’ve never seen a Barn Owl in the daytime, let alone take photos on one. The fact that it was some distance away in the first photos gives a great view of the whole scene. Of course I’m green with envy here, but I do manage to share your joy in having captured these moments ;) !

A brilliant sequence of the Owl. What an exciting sighting!

Thank you @PeterHG, @xelas, @Galana and @TonyQ.

We were fairly buzzing after that encounter, and only a walk away from home!

Just a shame I couldn't get it in focus when it flew right up to us.  Honestly, anyone with a proper camera would have got some stunning pictures.

We will keep an eye on the area now to see if we can see them again.

Kalaharikind

What an incredible experience! You could have posted even more pics without anyone complaining! 

michael-ibk

That´s extraordinary Angie - as you say, a top wildlife sighting! Wonderful!

Peter Connan

What a lovely experience and sequence of shots. It would send me buzzing as well!

On 3/25/2023 at 8:45 AM, Peter Connan said:

What a lovely experience and sequence of shots. It would send me buzzing as well!

Thank you Peter.

• 3 weeks later...

UK 47.  Marsh Tit

P1550993c.jpg.8a76eec314ff81751c35893d7d871e83.jpg

RSPB Leighton Moss  -  27/03/23

UK 48.  Common Chiffchaff

P1560220c.jpg.af5e209f2ca28ce8ddc4254829044742.jpg

Nr Aldcliffe, Lancashire Coastal Path  -  08/04/23

Foulshaw Moss reserve in South Cumbria is famous locally for it's breeding Ospreys, (the current pair have just returned for their 10th season), however this winter it has also become the place to go for Water Rail.  There is a pair that regularly appear under the feeding station.  We have been four times this year and have seen them every time.  They are very quick as they whizz out for the seeds that fall from the feeders.

UK 49.  Water Rail

P1540481c.jpg.4b3757da37d1dac149e788b58d8608a3.jpg

P1550225c.jpg.2ba1c6bcdec09946d11b32d8d7a889ee.jpg

P1550232c.jpg.150b45a2b6dc8764f4d28a3b7cf2a6b6.jpg

Foulshaw Moss  -  04/03/23