Kitsafari

Your Gymnogene/African Harrier Hawk is all fluffed up, really gorgeous.  What a life and death struggle for the newborn wildebeest fleeing the hyenas.  You left the little guy standing, but it looks grim for him.  The feisty zebra shots are wonderful.  Roller-controller at the airport ha ha.  What a great trip!

10 hours ago, Zubbie15 said:

Thanks for sharing @Kitsafari, 10 months until my return to Kenya so this was really appreciated. It seems so long away, and yet the time will fly as it seems to do these days.

I'm surprised a driver would let a tourist out near a leopard, and that the Rangers wouldn't go anything about it. It seems like a recipe for a disaster for everyone! 

This was our guess but given that the leopard kept looking that direction and low, we think our speculation could be right. for one thing the thick bushes hid the person from our sight and he could have gotten out the other side of the car but laid flat on the ground to shoot through under the vehicle belly.  

I started late here but it was totally worth, what a great trip, it’s hard to highlight only a few of so many fabulous sightings, I have to go to the Mara sometime.

It was a very beautiful end to your trip and some beautiful photos, especially the birds and sunsets (I had forgotten about Mara North sunsets and remembering them makes me very happy - only two months to go!). Love the zebra brouhaha! 

Mara North and Olare Motorogi --your favorites come through big time!  The second week of January seems to be a fine time to go.  Thanks sharing this outstanding safari.

michael-ibk

I’m glad you had such a successful trip - an abundance of awesome sightings. Great photos from both of you, and i also appreciated the videos. Very interesting sequence of the Hyena hunting that calf. While it is certainly known they are active and successful hunters i have never observed that personally. Thank you for sharing, a very enjoyable report.

thank you @pault  - are you heading back to Serian? whereabouts are you going? 

Thanks @Atravelynnand @michael-ibkfor the thoughts! :) 

Unfortunately no Serian, although it was a toss up with Kicheche Bush Camp. For ‘special’ reasons it has ended up as Elephant Pepper in MNC this time. Otherwise Laikipia Wilderness Camp and Loisaba (neighbours).