michael-ibk

2 hours ago, Ginny said:

@michael-ibk

I really have enjoyed your wonderful photos, but WOW! those last two are exceptional!!

Couldn't agree more!

9 hours ago, michael-ibk said:

It is a cool grimace - just a shame  there was vegetation between the Hyena and my camera. (Now I´m sounding like your Elephant Dung critic, I know. ;-))

:)Not at all... after all, you still posted the image. My critic probably would have binned it. To me,

the grass is a minor vexation which doesn't spoil the overall atmosphere. Sure, I would have moved it or myself if I could, but it would probably have meant missing the shot.

I am very much enjoying your trip report and of course your beautiful pictures @michael-ibk it reminds me of our time in Mana Pools in August also guided by Doug.

You were very lucky with your dog sightings. We only saw them once quite far away. They were already surrounded by lots of cars. Doug was very annoyed by some people blocking the view and getting out of their car with a bottle of beer and approaching the dogs in flip flops.

We had a great time with Doug, staying in Stretches Goliath camp for four nights and afterwards two nights at Chikwenya camp for water activities. 

:wub::wub::wub:

for the dogs! you were so blessed to be right in the mix of their play! 

Fantastic dog sighting, Michael.  Such a privilege to be close to them like that.

Great shots of the wild dogs, Michael! Also amazing flight shots of the roller.

23 hours ago, Ginny said:

I really have enjoyed your wonderful photos, but WOW! those last two are exceptional!!

Thanks Ginny. Just this once, the Roller flew off exactly where I wanted him to. :)

22 hours ago, Zubbie15 said:

how fortunate to be in the right place.

I thank Doug for that. With his experience he was quite sure they would come down eventually - and he was right.

20 hours ago, John M. said:

Couldn't agree more!

Thanks John!

12 hours ago, Athene said:

You were very lucky with your dog sightings. We only saw them once quite far away. They were already surrounded by lots of cars. Doug was very annoyed by some people blocking the view and getting out of their car with a bottle of beer and approaching the dogs in flip flops.

We had a great time with Doug, staying in Stretches Goliath camp for four nights and afterwards two nights at Chikwenya camp for water activities. 

Sounds like a great trip, Doug is always saying how nice the Chikwenya area is - I´ve never been. Shame about the Dogs, they are not a given in Mana. During my first trip we only had a subpar sighting of them, this time I was more lucky. Are you doing a Trip Report? Would love to hear more about your Mana experience!

10 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

for the dogs! you were so blessed to be right in the mix of their play! 

Thanks Kit, it was a wonderful experience indeed!

6 hours ago, PeterHG said:

Great shots of the wild dogs, Michael! Also amazing flight shots of the roller.

Thanks so much Peter!

Doug is right. The area around Chikwenya is beautiful. Lovely view from the lodge onto the floodplains with lots of animals around. However, the lodge is very posh and maybe a little bit over the top, food was excellent and rooms beautiful. We did two motorboat trips around an island close to Chikweya where we saw lots of different birds and ellies. 

I am not sure about the trip report; my husband is still editing his photos from Kenya 2021:(

Damn you're good!  Loving this vicarious safari with you and Andreas! (and Doug!)

Is Mana your favorite National Park in Africa?  I remember a thread on here that asked that question and so many answered Mana Pools...I have only visited by canoe but I love the hazy light and to see Boswell perched on his hind legs would be worth it all by itself!

Love the Lilian's love birds!  So beautiful!  I remember seeing a flock alight on a small tree and it's one of the lasting impressions I have of Africa...there's a black headed variety we saw in Ruaha I think, but the Lilian's are my favorite.  Keep the TR coming---love seeing and reading about your safari adventures---maybe y'all will let me tag along on one of these trips to Mana in the future!

@gatoratlarge

Thanks so much Joe, it´s been too long since we travelled together. You´re welcome to tag along anytime to anywhere! It´s hard to pick favourites in Africa, but I would probably say yes, just because the walking experience is so extraordinary in Mana.

TR for Mana is over but you could always check out the continuation to Gonarezhou and the Vumba here.

Wow, the dogs! And the shot of the hyena with the nyala leg. Just stonking stuff!!!

Dog frenzy is right.  They were having a blast and you did a great job capturing it.  Our time in the water together was a bit more subdued, thank goodness.  Some fabulous photos! You had good luck all along!  So did Doug.  A brown house snake sharing your tent is considered good luck in Mana Pools I believe. 

No wonder you were all in such good spirits when we met up for the Vumba Mountains and Gonarezhou. 

Thanks Lynn. We were in good spirits just because we saw you! :)

1 hour ago, michael-ibk said:

Thanks Lynn. We were in good spirits just because we saw you! :)

But of course!

• 2 weeks later...

Caught up. Great dogs at play. I love it when this happens. You earned that piece of luck.

More please.

• 1 month later...

It took me quite a while to catch up with your TR @michael-ibk but it was totally worth it, I know Mana Pools is your favourite place and it´s understandable, what a magical place, unfortunately I don´t think I´ll go there, I won´t be able to drag Patricia to a walking safari, that would probably mean divorce :P.

By the way, I hated you a little bit because of that close enconter with dogs, it´s not fair, I´m yet to see one, let alone having them playing around me...

Great pictures, as usual.

michael-ibk

Thanks Pedro, a relief your hatred is still low. I swear I won't ever see Dogs again before you see one. 🙂

I will just close my eyes in Mozambique this year. 😜

Of course you could always come along. 😎

22 minutes ago, michael-ibk said:

Thanks Pedro, a relief your hatred is still low. I swear I won't ever see Dogs again before you see one. 🙂

I will just close my eyes in Mozambique this year. 😜

Of course you could always come along. 😎

You´re not making a good case in your favour...

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2023 at 8:34 PM, pedro maia said:

Dear Michael,

Thanks for sharing your photos and videos, very entertaining to watch and you have presented the magical feel of mana pools very well.

Kind regards 

Johan

• 2 weeks later...

Amazing report! Great pictures! Thank you! I can't wait to visit Mana Pools NP!

michael-ibk

Thank you @Nik63, glad you enjoyed it. It is a magical place - when are you going? 

Africalover

Fantastic appetizer - going there in September. Canoeing, Mana and Chitake, can’t wait.

michael-ibk

I´m sure you´ll love it @Africalover, Chitake especially is exactly your kind of place I think. On the flood plains you have to make a bit of an effort to get away from the crowds but it´s certainly possible.

On 4/21/2023 at 5:06 PM, michael-ibk said:

Thank you @Nik63, glad you enjoyed it. It is a magical place - when are you going? 

@michael-ibkI'm planning to go with my wife at the end of July. It will be a short break both in Mana Pools NP and Hwange NP. I should finalize the booking very soon.