UK bird numbers continue to crash

Soukous

Data shows 48% of species declined between 2015 and 2020 with woodland birds faring worst

"UK bird numbers continue to crash as government poised to break own targets

Data shows 48% of species declined between 2015 and 2020 with woodland birds faring worst

Helena Horton Environment reporter

Thu 13 Apr 2023 12.21 BST

Bird populations in the UK continue to crash, new data shows, as campaigners predict the government will fail to meet its own nature targets unless radical changes are made.

Statistics released by the government show that bird populations continue to decline in the long and short term. In 2021, on average the abundance of 130 breeding species was 12% below its 1970 value. Though much of this loss was between the late 1970s and the late 1980s, caused mostly by relatively steep declines in woodland and farmland birds, there was still a significant 5% decrease between 2015 and 2020.

Between 2015 and 2020, 24% of species increased, 28% showed little change and 48% declined. Woodland birds continue to fare the worst, with a 12% decline between 2015 and 2020."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/apr/13/uk-bird-populations-continue-to-crash-as-government-poised-to-break-own-targets?CMP=twt_a-environment_b-gdneco

This is tragic news. I think the growing trend amongst house owners to remove their trees, bushes. grass etc to make way for paving/decking and artificial lawn is having a really bad effect on local basic species. There are many I no longer see around my house, notably thrushes, sparrows etc. and in the village, no swallows, pied wagtails and yellow hammers.

I have noticed a massive change over the last 60 years. Growing up in a village, winter visitors to the garden included bullfinches, chaffinches, goldfinches, yellowhammers, wagtails, blue tits, great tits, coal tits, as well as the ever present house sparrows, tree sparrows, dunnocks, starlings, blackbirds and song thrushes, wrens and robins.

Now I only live 10 miles from where I grew up, and although it is a more urban area there is plenty of woodland, river, canal, river valley parks, etc all close by.

Also even though we have a garden that specifically attracts birds, a relatively large pond/rockery with constant clear moving water , and I put a lot of food out for birds,  the variety of species ( and numbers within those species) has declined hugely.

I might see one bullfinch and one song thrush on one occasion in a year. Haven’t seen a yellowhammer in the garden for probably 40 years. Likewise haven’t seen a tree sparrow for probably 30 years. Rarely see a wren in the garden or pied wagtails.

There are however a few species that I hardly ever or never saw in our garden as a child, which are now frequently seen - magpies, wood pigeons , collared doves, and feral pigeons (these feral pigeons  are becoming too numerous and a bit of a nuisance as they will eat any food and make a lot of mess).

Occasional visitors are  jays, a male grey wagtail ( with a yellow belly) and very occasionally with its partner, and  long-tailed tits and greater spotted woodpecker. Also saw a redstart on one occasion a year ago.

Edited by Julian

On 4/14/2023 at 12:23 PM, Julian said:

the variety of species ( and numbers within those species) has declined hugely.

sadly so true

it is a long time since I've seen Bullfinch, Greenfinch or Coal Tit in our garden. Blue & Great Tits still come throughout the year, as do Robins & Wrens but the variety is certainly dwindling. Now it is Wood Pigeons, Rooks, Jays and Magpies. :(

Towlersonsafari

we moved to our home in 2000 and touch wood, things have been pretty stable, perhaps improving( or we are noticing more)  but with occasional fluctuations. We put sunflower hearts and suet pellets out. We are lucky with bullfinches, sadly no coal tits, and when it is very cold we get occasional Reed Buntings and Yellowhammer. We are just starting to see more Green finches and chaffinches and the only Bramling i saw all winter was in the garden for about 4 weeks- this year we have heard Chiffchaff singing and have had blackcaps take  the suet . perhaps the favourite sight is to see a row of House sparrows sitting on the bench before taking a dip in the pond though!

35 minutes ago, Towlersonsafari said:

we moved to our home in 2000 and touch wood, things have been pretty stable, perhaps improving( or we are noticing more)  but with occasional fluctuations. We put sunflower hearts and suet pellets out. We are lucky with bullfinches, sadly no coal tits, and when it is very cold we get occasional Reed Buntings and Yellowhammer. We are just starting to see more Green finches and chaffinches and the only Bramling i saw all winter was in the garden for about 4 weeks- this year we have heard Chiffchaff singing and have had blackcaps take  the suet . perhaps the favourite sight is to see a row of House sparrows sitting on the bench before taking a dip in the pond though!

@Towlersonsafari

I see you are in Northamptonshire. From the species you see I guess you must be in a very rural location in that county?

I ‘m in North Bucks, so not far from you.

Towlersonsafari

hi @Julianwe are in a village with an arable field behind us, and there are quite a few mature trees both around the field and in the garden but very close to Wellingborough so we are mostly rural- . Our local nature reserve Summer Leys does attract its fair share of rarities- last week there was a Kentish plover, white stork and common cranes- all of which of course I missed!

North bucks is not far away at all-as a child I used to live in a small village near Olney

My Big Garden Bird watch list this year was

Pied Wagtail

Black Cap

Gold Finch

Gull (no idea what kind)

Blue Tit
Great Tit

Long-tailed Tit

Great Spotted Woodpecker

Wood Pigeon

Robin

Dunnock

Jackdaw

Starling

Blackbird

Nut Hatch

Green Finch

This was in a one hour period from 11am. Most turned up in the first half hour. Counts were low. The garden is located on the edge of Kenilworth with open fields beyond the houses and Finham Brook on the other side of the road. The Brook used to fill the mere surrounding Kenilworth Castle. Some years we get Reed Buntings, Red Polls, Grey Wagtails, Coal Tits. We now have  several Jackdaws and Magpies and squirrels who are smashing the bird feeders to get at the seeds and fatballs as well as causing a general nuisance.