Big Birthday at Namiri (cheetah) Plains; Friends, fun, photography, laughs and giggles, toasts and celebrations - A truly memorable safari that was nothing but epic !!!!

madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Dear All,

Back home from Tanzania after a truly epic safari - one which was nothing but filled with memories that will last forever........  

Many Thanks to the Namiri team of Dickson, Queen and their staff - Moses, Jackson, Nengai etc etc., who ensured that all of the smallest details were taken care of!  Many Many Thanks to Moinga Timan who would guide me again during this stellar cheetah safari.  

This particular trip spanned 12 nights in total - but, for the last 5 nights I was joined by family and friends who would help me celebrate my big birthday.  We had the camp to ourselves during this time and it was truly a trip of a lifetime ....... with memories we will all take home forever!!! Thanks to the guiding team - we had 3 other guides in David, Ngiimba and Innocent.  

Thanks also to Chef Ryan who came in from Asilia's head base in Cape Town to ensure that we would wine and dine in style ....... 

Many Thanks to @Sangeetafrom Chalo Africa who put this together - it wasn't easy to coordinate and plan with so many guests - but, all organised to perfection.  Many of us had schedules before and after Namiri - some went to look for gorillas in Rwanda, some others went to the Crater ...... While I would park myself in Namiri the entire time!!!  What can I say ????  Speechless ........  But, I will have photographs  of my time there to share as and when I edit.

@Sangeetaalso got video clips to send of all the well wishes from Safaritalk members - that I truly appreciate and it made my day extra special. Thank You, guys ..... 

The day itself could not have been any better ....... Plenty of cheetah; a Champagne bush picnic brunch at Barafu ( just when we were finishing up brunch) there was a huge column of the mega herd that came towards us into Barafu that made it all the more special.  Stayed the rest of the day out and went back to camp in time for a quick shower and spectacular celebratory dinner put together by Chef Ryan, Dickson and the rest of the Namiri staff.........  All I can say is, Asante Sana and I am truly appreciative ......... Words cannot describe anything!!!  Back to a reality check now and this trip will take much longer to adjust to being back home.

I will start off with some pictures of the Great migration ........  While I've seen the migration before - I'm still gobsmacked with the sheer volume of them and even better (absolutely no crowds)......  Here goes!

2023namiri1.jpg.jpg

2023namiri2.jpg.jpg

2023namiri3.jpg.jpg

2023namiri5.jpg.jpg

2023namiri7.jpg.jpg

2023namiri8.jpg.jpg

2023namiri9.jpg.jpg

2023namiri10.jpg.jpg

2023namiri11.jpg.jpg

2023namiri12.jpg.jpg

2023namiri13.jpg.jpg

2023namiri14.jpg.jpg

Edited by madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

The stay wasn't just binging on food and wine ....... We also had a thrill a minute experience in camp.  There were lions around our rooms every night and on one night - a Lioness decided to move her cubs from under@beenas room to the other end of camp to move dens ...... creating utter excitement to all of us who had to be ferried by vehicle to and from our rooms in the dark.  Another night - there was a lioness who was playing football with the rocks in front of room 7.  Good times!!  Will try to find a way to post a video of the lioness and cubs.

For now - 

Missing these cuties ........

We had several cheetah mums and cubs (one with 4 tiny cubs; one with 3 cubs; one with 2 cubs; and many with one cub of various ages) ........ 

Here's a sample of what's to come in this report.

2023namiri22.jpg.jpg

2023namiri16.jpg.jpg

2023namiri15.jpg.jpg

2023namiri21.jpg.jpg

2023namiri24.jpg.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Modern technology helps make a BIF shot easier ..... as seen with this growing Monster!! 

2023namiri19.jpg.jpg

2023namiri20.jpg.jpg

Great to hear you had a wonderful birthday Hari - Belated Congratulations.

Looking forward to following this extra special TR.

michael-ibk

Gorgeous photography Hari. Happy to hear you found the perfect way to celebrate your "big" birthday (getting there myself) - is there really any other way than to do that in Africa? Not for people like us, I think. Again, happy (belated) birthday here on these pages too.

Happy belated milestone birthday, Hari. Celebrated in style and with passion with friends and family in a cheetah studded corner of the Serengeti! Way to go. 

madaboutcheetah

Thanks so much @Caracal@michael-ibkand @AKR1

Honestly - I'm going to have trouble editing these images and keep track of the different cheetah ..........  Anyway, here goes (next bunch of edited images).

I think these feature a mum and one older cub ....

AND

3 cubs from a different mum. 

2023namiri25.jpg.jpg

2023namiri26.jpg.jpg

2023namiri28.jpg.jpg

2023namiri29.jpg.jpg

2023namiri30.jpg.jpg

2023namiri31.jpg.jpg

2023namiri32.jpg.jpg

2023namiri33.jpg.jpg

2023namiri35.jpg.jpg

2023namiri27.jpg.jpg

@madaboutcheetahOh Hari!  Don't you ever stay home?!!  It is great for us that you don't.  You give us such wonderful trip reports and great photos of your sightings.  Happy Birthday too!

The happiest birthday imaginable! 

16 hours ago, madaboutcheetah said:

Honestly - I'm going to have trouble editing these images and keep track of the different cheetah

As long as it is due to the number of cheetah rather than the amount of wine happily consumed, that’s great!

Actually, it’s great either way.

madaboutcheetah

Thanks @margand @pault- Paul hahah ....... far too many cheetah 

In this instalment -  You don't have to go far from camp to have good cheetah viewing in privacy - as can be seen in the first image.  This cheetah mum gives us a grandstand BG of camp whilst she's scanning the surrounding woodland.

Last images are of a big single male on top of Sundowner rock - He's a coward ....... He saw the female with the one grown male cub and possibly assumed they were two males and bolted into a bush.  We proceeded to have a final sundowner of the safari after he vanished.  

2023namiri36.jpg.jpg

2023namiri37.jpg.jpg

2023namiri38.jpg.jpg

2023namiri39.jpg.jpg

2023namiri40.jpg.jpg

2023namiri41.jpg.jpg

2023namiri42.jpg.jpg

2023namiri43.jpg.jpg

2023namiri44.jpg.jpg

2023namiri45.jpg.jpg

2023namiri46.jpg.jpg

2023namiri47.jpg.jpg

2023namiri49.jpg.jpg

Glorious shots as always Hari. The Cheetah certainly delivered for you

So pleased all the birthday planning worked out. Great job @Sangeeta

madaboutcheetah

Thanks so much @wilddog- Much appreciated!! 

Few more from a quick edit ....

1.) One of the 3 Barafu male lions Who have now taken over the Vumbi pride that hangs about Namiri/ Soit and those grounds ......... 

2.) The lone male cheetah in fading light on sundowner rock

And

more images of the mother and the grown male cub moving through the wildebeest herd.  I will send images of her and other super mums to the Serengeti cheetah project to find out who they are and their story (stay tuned).  Right now, the Serengeti Cheetah project are involved in collaring about 10 cheetah in Ndutu to ascertain their movements and their run in with the Masai herdsman and other relevant details..... Will be an interesting study for sure.

2023namiri23.jpg.jpg

2023namiri52.jpg.jpg

2023namiri53.jpg.jpg

2023namiri54.jpg.jpg

2023namiri55.jpg.jpg

2023namiri50.jpg.jpg

2023namiri51.jpg.jpg

Africalover

Super TR - High quality images as always 😊👍👊🏻

Amasing images, stunning sightings! Realy an epic birthday, Hari @madaboutcheetah

What date is actually your birthday if I may ask? I don't see any dates in TR but it looks like you were there in April? Was it raining? 

I see dramatic dark skies behind the cheetah :-)

Nice nice photos! Happy birthday!

madaboutcheetah

Thanks @Africaloverand @ElenaH - Birthday was May 7.  My Namiri Dates were April 27 to May 9.  Yes, a bit of off and on rain ...... but, remember that's what brings the migration and keeps the crowds away!!! 

My Lion king moment - on a picture perfect Serengeti Morning in my absolute favourite part of the entire Mara/Serengeti eco-system - i.e., Gol Kopjes ........ the Gol Kopjes males make an appearance and Moinga got me in position super swiftly to get me these shots.  Chuffed!!! 

2023namiri57.jpg.jpg

2023namiri58.jpg.jpg

2023namiri59.jpg.jpg

2023namiri60.jpg.jpg

2023namiri61.jpg.jpg

2023namiri62.jpg.jpg

2023namiri63.jpg.jpg

2023namiri64.jpg.jpg

2023namiri65.jpg.jpg

2023namiri66.jpg.jpg

2023namiri67.jpg.jpg

2023namiri68.jpg.jpg

2023namiri69.jpg.jpg

michael-ibk

A gorgeous Lion in a gorgeous setting - beautiful!

madaboutcheetah

Thanks @michael-ibk

Interlude - I flew Kenya Airways direct from Mumbai.  Spent a night in Nairobi at the Emakoko.  Too bad it rained all day and I opted not to get in a game drive - but, I was able to see a couple of rhino on the way into camp from the airport.  I love the camp and the atmosphere ....... The lovely time chatting with Rihaz the manager who's also a pro guide who takes guests around all over East Africa.  I have some iPhone photos of camp etc etc., which I will post later in the thread (along with the quirky elevator/cable car that takes you up to the rooms) .  Just FYI.  Highly recommend the Emakoko.  I opted to stay in Nairobi instead of Arusha this year.  I would catch the super early Precision air at 8am from JKIA airport that allowed me to connect to the 11am Coastal in Kilimanjaro.

Indeed, impressive shots. I visited the Gol koppies last month when I stayed at Dunia Camp for 8 days. Saw some great lions in the area, 8 lions in three small groups. Originally (after reading your trip report @madaboutcheetah) I wanted to stay at Namiri Plains, but they were fully booked during two of my 8 days. So Dunia Camp became the choice and I am very happy I stayed there. It is a special place, with its all-female staff. Very informal cheerful atmosphere, excellent service, very good guiding by Zawadi, and she is the best mud-driver I have ever had. Petronilla, the Dunia manager, arranged for me to have lunch at Namiri Plains one day, so I could see the camp. It is a wonderful camp for people who like the luxurious and  modern design, and who want to stay on the plains. I hope the area will not become too busy in the near future, there were a number of mobile camps not far from NP. 

4 hours ago, madaboutcheetah said:

Thanks @michael-ibk

Interlude - I flew Kenya Airways direct from Mumbai.  Spent a night in Nairobi at the Emakoko.  Too bad it rained all day and I opted not to get in a game drive - but, I was able to see a couple of rhino on the way into camp from the airport.  I love the camp and the atmosphere ....... The lovely time chatting with Rihaz the manager who's also a pro guide who takes guests around all over East Africa.  I have some iPhone photos of camp etc etc., which I will post later in the thread (along with the quirky elevator/cable car that takes you up to the rooms) .  Just FYI.  Highly recommend the Emakoko.  I opted to stay in Nairobi instead of Arusha this year.  I would catch the super early Precision air at 8am from JKIA airport that allowed me to connect to the 11am Coastal in Kilimanjaro.

Brought back nice memories of Emakoko from long ago. Are Emma & Anthony ( Childs) still the resident owners? 

madaboutcheetah

Yes they are @AKR1

Awesome pictures of the male lion on the kopjes. Truly reminiscent of the Lion King movie. Walt himself would have been impressed and inspired to animate that lion! 

Atravelynn

You received many birthday gifts in the form of excellent sightings at Namiri Plains.  No wonder there were giggles!

madaboutcheetah

Thanks a lot @AKR1and @Atravelynn

@Biko- The most important factor to me in choosing Namiri Plains is the location.  You can't beat it for access to my absolute favourite parts in the entire Serengeti eco-system i.e., Gol kopjes and Barafu and far away enough from the crowds from Sero. 

This, that and the other ..... Some guests in our group went to Rwanda for a gorilla trek prior and flew into Seronera with Auric Air .... The flight went from Kigali to Sero with an immigration stamp in Mwanza.  They got the Agashya group...... they not only loved their experience, but, apparently the whole family came out of the woods into the wide open making for great photography.  One couple also did the chimp trek and loved it - plus the golden monkeys.

Some others went to the Ngorongoro Crater prior to Namiri.  They did a road trip that would take them from Arusha to the Crater and then down to Namiri.  Ofcourse, we all flew out from Sero to Kilimanjaro for our respective flights home.  Apparently, only two other vehicles in the Crater this time of the year and 5 Black Rhinos for a bonus !!! So, definitely a good time of the year to go there away from the masses of vehicles.

madaboutcheetah

This, that and the other .......  From the state of the herds at the moment, I'd guess they'd be a bit late to get to Kenya this year.  There are still massive columns all the way into Ndutu still ...... 

Alex The Lion

@madaboutcheetahGreat trip report so far!

Could I ask what the travel time is between Namiri and Gol Kopjes? Can you leave camp before sunrise and get there for sunrise for example?