A Birding safari (with some extras) in the Western Ghats of Southern India

janzin

6 minutes ago, janzin said:

I likely did crop most images, as you know for small birds 500 is barely enough. I did have the 1.4 TC with me and probably could have used it at times but since we were walking most places it would have been problematic to put on and take off, so generally it stayed in the bag. The 800Pf would be great if you can carry it! Too heavy for me :)  We just got the 180-600Z lens which would be a perfect choice I think, especially if you are going for tigers as well. Where in India are you going?

As for the airlines, we had no issues with overweight (our camera backpacks were never weighed, although I did book Premium Economy on our Vistera flights which gave us a bit more allowance. It was only a few dollars more than economy. ) Be aware though that in India you will be required to take EVERYTHING out of your camera bag for airport security. And I mean everything--every lens, body etc. So pack with that in mind, make sure to keep your eyes on everything as Indian airports are quite chaotic!

Thank you so much for the amazingly speedy reply! I am glad to hear the 800mm PF will come in handy (always nice to be able to justify a guilty purchase!).

We are hoping to do the Pantanal in June, and India/Maldives at the end of November and beginning of December. For both trips, I am looking at bringing 3 bodies (Canon R5II or R6II, Canon R3, and Nikon Z8) with a variety of lenses (RF 14-35mm, RF 24-105mm, RF 100-300mm F2.8 (with 1.4x TC and possibly 2x TC) and the 800mm PF). If some of the rumored lenses come out I can rethink this strategy. How are you liking the 180-600Z? Taking everything out of our camera bags sounds like a true nightmare to me!

This will be a first trip to India for us, so tigers will definitely be a priority, among many competing priorities. We were looking at Satpura, Pench, Kahna, and Bandhavgarh for our first experience, though this could change as we do more research. It's still a ways away. 

I just learned of SafariTalk recently, and it has been a treasure trove of beautiful photos and incredibly useful information! I am so grateful to have found it and for all of the valuable advice you and others have posted for other travelers to learn from. 

Thank you again!

oh boy, mixing Canon and Nikon creates a lot of extra stuff to carry! Different chargers not to mention the lenses etc! Can you narrow it to just one brand? :)

Haven't really had the 180-600Z long enough to say much and it's been raining here since I got it :(  It's more for my husband who will replace his Tamron 150-600 with it. But I did take it out briefly the other day and it seems really sharp and on par with the Tamron at the very least. Personally I will probably stick with the 500PF + 1.4TC for local birding as even the 180-600 is a bit heavy for my taste. But for safari or a trip where there's birds and mammals both I think it would be great.

2 hours ago, janzin said:

oh boy, mixing Canon and Nikon creates a lot of extra stuff to carry! Different chargers not to mention the lenses etc! Can you narrow it to just one brand? :)

Haven't really had the 180-600Z long enough to say much and it's been raining here since I got it :(  It's more for my husband who will replace his Tamron 150-600 with it. But I did take it out briefly the other day and it seems really sharp and on par with the Tamron at the very least. Personally I will probably stick with the 500PF + 1.4TC for local birding as even the 180-600 is a bit heavy for my taste. But for safari or a trip where there's birds and mammals both I think it would be great.

I don't mean to derail your thread, sorry !

I used to shoot one system at a time, but then I wound up switching systems a few times when an exciting new body or lens came out. Since I decided to shoot both Nikon and Canon, I have been much happier as I can use the lenses that I like best from both systems. Canon has nothing like Nikon's 800mm PF but I really like their RF100-300 2.8. So I decided to keep one of each and it works very well for me. I really like the Nikon Z 400 4.5 and the Canon 14-35 too.

I primarily charge the cameras in body using USB-C, so chargins is pretty streamlined. I don't use much flash when I travel (not sure how a tiger would react to that), so those get left behind too. Two bodies would probably be just fine. I just like being able to do casual wide angle shots without needing a lens change. But cell phones work for those scenic shots in a pinch too.

I look forward to hearing more about your take on the 180-600mm if you wind up using it more. The 500PF is a lovely lens in a very compact package. It has been one of my favorite lenses (though I downgraded to the Z400 4.5 to get a native lens). I can see why you like using it so much, and as we see time and time again, your results are phenomenal!

• 1 month later...
Dave Williams

Just caught up with the rest of the report and admired the photographs wondering what gear you were using so the additional chat at the end was very useful too.

Been there done that running two systems ( Nikon and Canon) for a brief period many years ago before realising it didn't work...well for me anyway but now you have me wondering! From having had a series of Canon 1D bodies and big primes I now favour anything that weighs less but that tends to come with compromises of either lack of reach or lack of light. Just been looking and interested that the Z9 plus 500PF comes in at 2800gms. More than my R5 plus 100-500 at 2103 gms but although a superb combination it needs good light. I have been considering a 400mmf4 DO but that with the R5 is slightly heavier than the Nikon set up you have and not as good a combination I don't think. Interesting!! 

@janzinwow, wow, wow! I don’t even know what to say, your images are that beautiful. Completely engrossing report, tiger sightings be damned 😁

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @Sangeetaand @Dave WilliamsWe just returned from Botswana a couple of days ago so just now catching up with ST and saw this thread resurrected :)

Dave and @WildSpotter my husband used the new Nikon 180-600 exclusively in Botswana and it seems the perfect safari lens. I even used it on one drive when he stayed back to rest, and found it really easy to handle.  More on that when I get around to that trip report!