Northern Pantanal in search of Jaguars (July 2023)

Whyone?

@Whyone?I was waiting to see if this lodge still feeds animals and obviously they do.  I purposefully avoided them on our trip due to that practice since it's one I don't condone and my only way to vote is with my wallet.  However, early in our travels we did attend the same thing at a lodge in Belize not knowing any better.  But, now I do. So, thankfully we saw truly wild ocelots at other locations but I too view the baited ocelot sighting as not very satisfactory when I look back.

By the way, I believe the bird in question is a Streaked Flycatcher.  My first guess was Sulfur Bellied but they don't appear to be in Brazil so I am going with Streaked :)

Loving your pics!

Alan

Many thanks Alan @Atdahl.....and I  think you are correct - Streaked Flycatcher it is!

Thanks for sharing @Whyone?, it's always interesting to see how different things can be between two trips to the same area and around the same time. When we were there we heard of a couple of nascent efforts to develop hides for ocelots that won't involve any baiting, so maybe some day that will be an alternative in the area. 

Like @Atdahl, I avoid Southwild because of their baiting practices (they do it elsewhere as well, including baiting Maned Wolves elsewhere in Brazil, and they tried to set up bear baiting in Connecticut but were thrown out of town.) The owner is quite controversial and most of the guides I've spoken to in the Pantanal don't have nice things to say about him.  

Anyway, excellent report and photos! And I'm glad you got to see the ocelot after suffering through the bites and the waiting. (I would definitely not be brave enough to climb that tower!)

Very cute marmosets in Rio, and interesting scenery shots.

You did very well for sightings, and got some beautiful photos.

Thank you for posting 

On 9/1/2023 at 1:00 PM, TonyQ said:

Very cute marmosets in Rio, and interesting scenery shots.

You did very well for sightings, and got some beautiful photos.

Thank you for posting 

My pleasure @TonyQ, I'm pleased the report was of some interest.  

Thanks from me too - really enjoyed the report and the great photos. The Anaconda especially was super-cool! 

Thank you Michael - much appreciated.