Serengeti 23' - My Most Successful Failure (Olakira & Namiri)

ricmiles

madaboutcheetah
17 hours ago, SdW said:

O my mistake. I meant Dunia to go to Moru kopjes. Can you go there (and to Seronera) from Namiri as well?

I wouldn’t go there .... I avoid the crowds there ..... if you want to add a camp, you are better off going to the highlands in the crater. There will hardly be any vehicles in the crater that time of the year.

Wow, you are quite the trooper for going on safari with this kind of injuries  - hats off! A catrastic fantastic safari, you really had awesome Cheetah sightings especially. I love Hyena pups, and that sighting must have been pure safari magic - the stuff that makes us go back and back and back and back. The Eagle you were asking about is most likely a Tawny Eagle (Brown Eagles can be tricky to ID). Interesting you feel that Cheetah sightings are better managed in Kenya - not sure I´d agree with that, Cheetah harrassment in the Mara has always been awful. Had to laugh about your comment worrying about food you being Italian. But living 20 kms from your border I certainly do understand! :)

Thank you for the comment@michael-ibk! My addiction to the African wilderness is too strong... having missed the summer trip and needing to pass through Nairobi for work it really felt like a no brainer to go!

Those tiny hyenas made my afternoon. Puppies are always a treat but having so many around and that close was truly magical. Thank you for IDing that brown eagle for me. I only recently started noticing the world of birds but will try and dedicate more time to learning about them in future safaris. As per the Mara management of Cheetahs, I am surprised to hear that. I haven't been many times, but in the Mara triangle I often saw rangers actively following mums with cubs to make sure tourists did not get too close. I only assumed that was normal routine on their part but could be wrong. It is also possible that it is the case in the Triangle but not in the Reserve, being managed by two separate entities. 

madaboutcheetah
6 hours ago, ricmiles said:

Thank you for the comment@michael-ibk! My addiction to the African wilderness is too strong... having missed the summer trip and needing to pass through Nairobi for work it really felt like a no brainer to go!

Those tiny hyenas made my afternoon. Puppies are always a treat but having so many around and that close was truly magical. Thank you for IDing that brown eagle for me. I only recently started noticing the world of birds but will try and dedicate more time to learning about them in future safaris. As per the Mara management of Cheetahs, I am surprised to hear that. I haven't been many times, but in the Mara triangle I often saw rangers actively following mums with cubs to make sure tourists did not get too close. I only assumed that was normal routine on their part but could be wrong. It is also possible that it is the case in the Triangle but not in the Reserve, being managed by two separate entities. 

Mara Triangle is well managed - but, across in the Mara reserve it's a complete mess!!! As I always say, "support the conservancies" 

• 2 months later...
TravelMore
On 10/25/2023 at 10:17 PM, ricmiles said:

Thank you@TravelMore. Namiri truly is a remarkable place. Might be my favourite location visited in Africa up to now. Will go into details soon! Make sure you ask for Moinga if he is available, he is the head guide at Namiri and is absolutely outstanding. 

Thanks@Zubbie15

So I tried requesting Moinga for our trip and astoundingly, this was the response.

"However, Moinga is now one of the Asilia Fundi guides so to guarantee him there is an extra charge of $400 a day. Would this be something you are interested in doing or are you happy to just have a request?""

Considering we are paying an up charge to ensure a private vehicle, I stuck to a simple request.  Just adding this in for a data point for future travelers.

madaboutcheetah
1 hour ago, TravelMore said:

So I tried requesting Moinga for our trip and astoundingly, this was the response.

"However, Moinga is now one of the Asilia Fundi guides so to guarantee him there is an extra charge of $400 a day. Would this be something you are interested in doing or are you happy to just have a request?""

Considering we are paying an up charge to ensure a private vehicle, I stuck to a simple request.  Just adding this in for a data point for future travelers.

Yes he’s been a fundi guide for a couple of years already ..... 

@TravelMore I was at Namiri plains last November.  I think all the guides at Namiri plains are very good. Keko was our guide and he was excellent.

@TravelMoreForgive my ignorance on the matter, but what's a Fundi guide? I'm sorry to hear about the request. I always found Asilia to have good guides so you should be in good hands even without Moinga. 

Edited by ricmiles

TravelMore
On 2/13/2024 at 6:03 AM, ricmiles said:

@TravelMoreForgive my ignorance on the matter, but what's a Fundi guide? I'm sorry to hear about the request. I always found Asilia to have good guides so you should be in good hands even without Moinga. 

Not sure. Perhaps @madaboutcheetahcan tell us?

madaboutcheetah
11 hours ago, TravelMore said:

Not sure. Perhaps @madaboutcheetahcan tell us?

a fundi guide is a private guide …. One you can book for any of their properties because of their vast expertise in the various parks in Tanzania 

@madaboutcheetahI see, thanks for the explanation. I was not aware of the additional charge and during my time with him, Moinga told me he was head guide at Namiri. Probably was referring to the past. 

• 1 month later...

The photografic vehicle is nice. Are the other vehicle’s at Namiri Plains open vehicle’s as well?