Around the Great Australian Bight

Soukous

Some really beautiful birds and wonderful photography Martin!

Regarding owning 4x4's and being too scared to use them, I think the expense is a major part of the problem.

But for some reason most 4x4 drivers seem to be very scared of airing down their tires sufficiently. Once you have done that, sand mostly ceases to be a concern.

My uncle had some Major Mitchells (he was a very big parrot breeder, with over 300 cages at one stage). I can't remember them being anywhere near as beautiful as yours.

1 hour ago, Peter Connan said:

My uncle had some Major Mitchells (he was a very big parrot breeder, with over 300 cages at one stage). I can't remember them being anywhere near as beautiful as yours.

I was very lucky to catch them in beautiful light

Great report with fantastic photos!

Another thank you for the interesting report and the fabulous photos!

And from me - gorgeous photos Martin, and really enjoyed the narrative. Thanks! 

On 11/11/2023 at 9:07 PM, Soukous said:

For the moment let’s stick with the Gang-gangs) we heard the distinctive call of a Gang-gang Cockatoo. Once you’ve heard it is really is unmistakable.

That call like a creaky door is quite common around our town in South Gippsland  and when they're feeding on their favourite wattle seeds in my neighbour's garden they're quite confiding and allow a close approach where I could almost reach over the fence to touch them.

Thanks for a most enjoyable report with wonderful photos - in particular loved the Major Mitchells and the Bronzewing.

5 hours ago, Caracal said:

Thanks for a most enjoyable report with wonderful photos - in particular loved the Major Mitchells and the Bronzewing.

thanks @CaracalThe Major Mitchells were a real delight, all the more enjoyable for being completely unexpected.

I saw quite a few Bronzewings, Common & Brush, but this was the only one that posed for a decent photo.

Thank you @Soukousfor a fascinating report with beautiful photos.

No birder’s holiday is complete without a trip to a sewage works:D

• 2 weeks later...

Those Major Mitchell / Pink Cockatoos are simply stunning, worth missing afternoon nibbles.  That Singing Honeyeater about to consume a bee is a fantastic shot.

• 4 weeks later...

Really enjoyed this report @Soukous, somehow I missed it until today. Some lovely birds despite the weather challenges, the various cockatoos being the clear winners for me.