Jim's little warm-up

JimS

No problem at all. Yes, I wouldn’t like it listening all the time!

I’ve enjoyed using it when walking the dog. Previously I wouldn’t have recognised many birds from their song/calls but if I hear something new or distinctive I hit record and see if the app finds a match. 

Anyhow… it’s now January and I didn’t add any to my tally, so 40 it is. 

On to 2024… Happy New Year to all.

Dave Williams

Well now you have a taste for the BY thread you can mount a challenge on the big hitters! more importantly, have fun. HNY!

pedro maia

A very belated welcome to the Big Year, I hope you will participate also in 2024!

Thanks @pedro maia, and @Dave Williams... I saw your post saying you intend to bow-out. Must confess, I thought your multi-year approach had some appeal - I'll definitely continue for 2024 though I wonder if my interest could fade if I'm chasing the same LBJs every year.

25 minutes ago, JimS said:

I'll definitely continue for 2024 though I wonder if my interest could fade if I'm chasing the same LBJs every year.

Or your interest will flame up, sending you to countries you would never consider to visit if not for the Big Year 😀!

BRACQUENE

Glad you will join us again in 2024 !

Kitsafari

the count is secondary to learning about new birds, discovering new places, and more essentially interacting with the others here and just enjoying the birds themselves! Look forward to your 2024!

On 1/6/2024 at 8:34 PM, xelas said:

sending you to countries you would never consider to visit if not for the Big Year

Plus, become more inclined to explore my own country. I'm guilty of being drawn to the exotic while ignoring much of what's on my own doorstep!

8 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

the count is secondary to learning about new birds, discovering new places, and more essentially interacting with the others here and just enjoying the birds themselves!

I was pleased that Fieldfare and Redwing were among the first I saw (and instantly recognised) in this new year, where a few months ago I didn't know they existed.

14 hours ago, BRACQUENE said:

Glad you will join us again in 2024 !

Looking forward to it... I have a few nice sightings ready to add :)

BRACQUENE

Thanks a lot @JimS I agree that the count is not the most important thing and to be honest birding in your own country can be much more rewarding than on safaris or other trips even if you have to work harder to find the birds and patience is the golden rule !