Magical Kgalagadi NP February 2023

JPS

This year, our journey through the breathtaking landscapes of Kgalagadi National Park in South Africa was nothing short of extraordinary. For over three weeks in February, we immersed ourselves in the wild beauty, choosing to explore the enchanting South African side and reside in the comfort of the camp houses.

Crafting a unique trip planning in this popular park, often frequented by swift locals and international tourists alike, was a challenge. Yet, amidst the vibrant tapestry of experiences, we discovered the magic that lies within. Our days unfolded across various camps—Kalahari Tented Camp, Nosob River camps, Gharagab Wilderness Camp, Bitterpan, Kielikrankie—with Grootkolk standing out as the jewel in the crown.

Kalahari Tented Camp, a familiar site, unveiled its wonders in unexpected ways. Witnessing a cheetah making a daring yet unsuccessful attempt on a group of Wildebeest, and later strolling fearlessly past our camp, left an indelible mark. Daily visits from the park's diverse wildlife, accompanied by the haunting serenade of jackals and the symphony of night creatures, transformed our nights into a captivating spectacle.

The Nosob River camp, luxury with a direct view of the waterhole, offered an unparalleled experience. Lions stealthily passing us in the moonlit night, followed later by a trio of hyenas indulging in the waterhole's cool embrace, created a twilight symphony. Amidst the nocturnal magic, a glass of wine became the perfect companion, allowing us to savor the night sounds that echoed the essence of Kgalagadi.

Securing a last-minute reservation at the Kielikrankie camp added a layer of excitement to our journey. A haven for nocturnal creatures, the park treated us to an intense chorus of barking geckos—an awe-inspiring song parade. Encounter with a cape cobra under the veranda brought a thrill, reminding us of the untamed beauty that surrounded us.

Bitterpan, an adventure accessible only by a 4x4 drive, rewarded us with solitude and awe-inspiring views over the dunes.

As the starry sky unfolded its grandeur, the waterhole became a stage for nature's nightlife—spotted owls and a brown hyena provided a captivating performance under the celestial canopy.

In the heart of this vast wilderness, each camp became a chapter in our adventure, but Grootkolk unfolded as a story of its own. This journey was not merely a visit; it was a profound connection with nature's wonders, leaving us with memories etched in the sands of time.

On the last part of our journey, nature gifted us an extraordinary encounter at Groot Kolk. As we ventured through the wilderness, a thrilling surprise awaited us—a majestic caracal, focused and determined in its hunt, oblivious to our presence. Our hearts raced with excitement, and it took a moment for us to realize the urgency of capturing this magical moment. Hastily, we fumbled to turn on the camera, eager to preserve the beauty of this unexpected spectacle.

Upon reaching Groot Kolk camp, we were enveloped in a unique atmosphere that set the stage for another inspiring experience. In the stillness of the night, the magical roars of lions pierced the air, beckoning us to witness their majestic presence. With lantern in hand and camera at the ready, we ventured into the darkness to discover a breathtaking sight—four lionesses and a male lion, their presence casting an enchanting spell. We stood in silent admiration as they graced the camp, disappearing into the shadows of the nearby hills as the night unfolded.

As the evening sun painted the sky with hues of gold, a tender moment awaited us on the road. A lioness and her playful cub captured our hearts, the adorable antics of the young one demanding attention and affection. In the background, the patriarch of the pride revealed the remaining of a recent hunt. The cub's innocent approach toward him brought a subtle hint of disapproval, creating a captivating family dynamic. Entranced by this harmonious scene, we lingered, savoring the beauty of nature's intricate dance in the heart of the wild. Each moment etched in our memories, a testament to the untamed wonders that unfold when we become humble spectators in the grand theater of the natural world.

Kgalagadi National Park remains the beating heart of our adventures—a place that eternally captivates our souls. The love affair with this sanctuary, particularly when intertwined with the Botswana side, unfolds as a tapestry of ever-changing, intensely vivid experiences. Each visit, a unique chapter, adds layers to the profound connection we share with nature.

In the vast expanse of Kgalagadi, closeness to nature is not just a proximity; it's a dance of the senses. Every moment offers a new and extraordinary encounter, weaving a narrative that is both mesmerizing and distinct. The park, with its diverse landscapes and wildlife, becomes a canvas upon which our love for nature is painted in vibrant hues.

Our passion for the untamed beauty of Africa expands with each whispered tale of its magnificence. The more we speak of its allure, the deeper our appreciation grows. It's not just love; it's an evolving symphony of awe and reverence for the remarkable and the extraordinary that unfolds in the heart of Kgalagadi. Each adventure is a testament to the boundless wonders that make our connection with nature an ever-expanding journey of discovery and admiration.

We've embarked on a cinematic journey to capture the untamed beauty of the majestic animals that grace the landscapes of Kgaladi National Park. In this short film, we unveil the raw essence of nature, a symphony orchestrated by the wilderness itself.

Feel the pulse of the earth as it beats in harmony with the vibrant life that inhabits this sanctuary. From the graceful dance of the antelope to the mighty presence of the Lions, each frame is a testament to the awe-inspiring wonders that nature generously bestows upon us.

This film is our humble tribute to the enchanting allure of Kgaladi NP. We invite you to join us in relishing the spectacle of the untamed, to immerse yourself in the grandeur of the wild. Let this be your revenge against the chaos of everyday life—a moment to reconnect with the extraordinary beauty that surrounds us.

Should curiosity spark within you, and questions arise about the depths of this adventure, don't hesitate to ask. Our journey is not just a film; it's an invitation to explore, appreciate, and marvel at the incredible tapestry of life that unfolds in Kgalagadi National Park

Johan and Natalie Seekles

_A5A5983.jpg

_A5A5997.jpg

_A5A6039.jpg

_A5A6215.jpg

_A5A6237 (2).jpg

_A5A6244.jpg

_A5A6251.jpg

_A5A6309.jpg

_A5A6370.jpg

_A5A6386.jpg

_A5A6428.jpg

_A5A6528.jpg

_A5A6546-3.jpg

_A5A6571.jpg

_A5A6573.jpg

_A5A6578.jpg

_A5A6637.jpg

_A5A6776 (2).jpg

_A5A6801.jpg

_A5A6810.jpg

_A5A6826.jpg

_A5A7044.jpg

_A5A7053 (2).JPG

_A5A7090-2.jpg

_A5A7096.jpg

_A5A7139.jpg

_A5A7198.jpg

_A5A7220.jpg

_A5A7312.jpg

_A5A7313.jpg

_A5A7347.jpg

_A5A7374 (2).JPG

3O4A2551.jpg

3O4A2662.jpg

3O4A2693.jpg

3O4A2712 - kopie.jpg

Edited by JPS

Thanks for your trip report. You're bringing back my warmest memories of my trip to Kgalagadi. It was quite enjoyable.

45 minutes ago, optig said:

Thanks for your trip report. You're bringing back my warmest memories of my trip to Kgalagadi. It was quite enjoyable.

You are more then welcome and many thanks for your kind words

@JPSGreat video and photos, really took me back to Kgalagadi :) . Like you, I also really really love the place. Can´t really think of a place I like more. And I can see that you also hire your car from Bushlore, also my no.1 car rental company. A suggestion, if you haven´t been to Mabuasehube, try to go there just once. The route from Nossob to Mabuasehube is an adventure not to be missed and you should be very unlucky not to see a few lions ;) !

7 hours ago, JayRon said:

@JPSGreat video and photos, really took me back to Kgalagadi :) . Like you, I also really really love the place. Can´t really think of a place I like more. And I can see that you also hire your car from Bushlore, also my no.1 car rental company. A suggestion, if you haven´t been to Mabuasehube, try to go there just once. The route from Nossob to Mabuasehube is an adventure not to be missed and you should be very unlucky not to see a few lions ;) !

Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the video and photos. Kgalagadi truly holds a special place in my heart, and I couldn't agree more – it's an incredible destination.

And yes, Bushlore is my go-to car rental company as well; their service has always been top-notch. Thanks for the suggestion about Mabuasehube, Fortunately, I've had the opportunity to visit the area multiple times and plan to continue doing so. This time around, we explored the South African side exclusively, omitting Botswana. I must admit that the experience was a bit more relaxed, however it is slightly less adventurous compared to camping without any protection. Personally, I have a preference for the Botswana side, although I acknowledge that the South African side offers better opportunities for photography and videography.

Beautiful photos!

Watching the video now...

:D

@JPS,  stunning video! Excellent sightings! Beautifully cut video, fascinating scenes and high quality (only once you've lost a focus ;-)) I like very much your very close footage like a lioness where only the eyes were seen. It provides more intimacy. The angle is also gerat. I am still thinking how you capture the scene of a lionesswith a cub drinking, it was on the eye level! Probably they were a bit higher... but it is absolutely fascinating. I love also mixture of slow-mo and normal speed. Really beautifully made! 

The acoustics of the bush are also excellent. I visited Kgalagadi in October, November, December and didn't remember so many different sounds ;-) Probably this is becasue it was in February. O also noticed the flowers! :) nice nice nice!

The only thing I didn't like was the computer voice ;-)  I prefer to hear your accent :D  or the accent of Natalie :) But anyway the quality of video is mind-blowing!

How did you get that Grootkolk? Each time I am trying to book Kgalagadi nothing is available :lol:

Well now you need to make a TR of Mana and Hwange B)

@JayRon,  I also love Mabua and Kgalagadi and rent bushlore vehicles for the last 10 years ;-)  So, we are already three of us, self-drivers with a love to Kgalagadi :D

You can have a look at my adventure: 

Interestingly, this photo got to a (German) book of the Best World Animal Photos (Beste Tierfotos der Welt).

And hier is an Essey:

I booked Mabua for the next year and there was nothing really available for SA part of Kgalagadi (well, Two Rivers only) Now trying to book other stuff in Bots...

But I must say that there sometimes are very rare sightings in Africa .... like Safari Talkers! :wub:

I met Johan and Natalie (JPS) in Mana Pools! And they are certainly not easy to spot ;-)

Stunning photography, and I love the video, so evocative!

That snake... looks like it swallowed a whole baguette

Edited by JimS

16 hours ago, ElenaH said:

@JayRon,   So, we are already three of us, self-drivers with a love to Kgalagadi :D

(well, Two Rivers only)

There are a few more Kgalagadi lovers here. I think @Tdgravesand her husband go almost every year?

I have only been three times, but that's not a good indication of how much I love the place.

However, just checking, Two Rivers or Twee Rivieren?

Two Rivers is on the Botswana side of the river and is operated by Botswana DWNP.

If you meant Twee Rivieren and were not aware of the existence of Two Rivers, it's a great alternative to Twee Rivieren. A relatively tiny camp with much less infrastructure, but of course much quiter.

14 hours ago, JimS said:

Stunning photography, and I love the video, so evocative!

That snake... looks like it swallowed a whole baguette

That snake is one to pay attention to Jim.

A Puff Adder.

Fat, slow and lazy but exceptionally well camouflaged, it is probably the snake in Southern Africa that sends the most people to hospital. Although it perambulates very slowly (and is often stepped on because it relies on it's camouflage instead of moving away), it is one of the fastest-striking snakes around, and it carries a lot of venom of the Cytotoxic kind, causing a nasty wound and lots of pain, but relatively slow to act. I have heard that, if the wound is not correctly treated, loss of limb is not an unlikely outcome.

6 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

However, just checking, Two Rivers or Twee Rivieren

Twee Rivieren, of course. I heard about Two Rivers, but I thought it is a Cross-Border Camp and not for the Tourists (or for thoese who are too late ;-) 

Great to know thta there are more Kgalagadi-Lovers!

Towlersonsafari

like everyone else, lovely video and pictures @JPS

On 12/4/2023 at 4:54 PM, ElenaH said:

@JPS,  stunning video! Excellent sightings! Beautifully cut video, fascinating scenes and high quality (only once you've lost a focus ;-)) I like very much your very close footage like a lioness where only the eyes were seen. It provides more intimacy. The angle is also gerat. I am still thinking how you capture the scene of a lionesswith a cub drinking, it was on the eye level! Probably they were a bit higher... but it is absolutely fascinating. I love also mixture of slow-mo and normal speed. Really beautifully made! 

The acoustics of the bush are also excellent. I visited Kgalagadi in October, November, December and didn't remember so many different sounds ;-) Probably this is becasue it was in February. O also noticed the flowers! :) nice nice nice!

The only thing I didn't like was the computer voice ;-)  I prefer to hear your accent :D  or the accent of Natalie :) But anyway the quality of video is mind-blowing!

How did you get that Grootkolk? Each time I am trying to book Kgalagadi nothing is available :lol:

Well now you need to make a TR of Mana and Hwange B)

Hi Elena,

It's wonderful to reconnect with you, and I appreciate your feedback. Regarding the eye level, the unique perspective is a result of the GoPro positioned low on the door, occasionally resulting in great effects.

Managing Grootkolk bookings involves a constant vigilance, staying on top of things, and handling last-minute cancellations. It's a dynamic process that requires adaptability.

As for the use of computer voices, both Natalie and I experimented with it. However, the experience of hearing our own voices made us feel a bit queasy. Consequently, we reverted to the familiar computerized voice, acknowledging that while it may not be ideal, it's certainly gentler on our stomachs :)

Wow, cinematic journey is right.  You have a beautiful creation that combines the wildlife, music, and very professional narration by you (or computer you) and the lions and jackals. Great use of slo-mo and b&w. Never seen such a fat Puff Adder. Didn't one get in your vehicle in the past?  Perhaps you'll encounter that adorable lion cub again on a future visit.  Thank you for posting this "invitation."

On 12/7/2023 at 4:35 AM, Atravelynn said:

Wow, cinematic journey is right.  You have a beautiful creation that combines the wildlife, music, and very professional narration by you (or computer you) and the lions and jackals. Great use of slo-mo and b&w. Never seen such a fat Puff Adder. Didn't one get in your vehicle in the past?  Perhaps you'll encounter that adorable lion cub again on a future visit.  Thank you for posting this "invitation."

Thank you for your feedback! Yes, we had a unique experience with a puff adder in our car before – quite a story. It's reassuring to hear that you're inspired to go exploring again. We can't get enough of it ourselves. Today, I'm heading to Kruger National Park for three weeks, another fantastic place to encounter a variety of wildlife.