Chile 2023: Puma, Mountains and much more….

TonyQ

Susanne dropped us at the Endurance Aparthotel. We had really enjoyed having her as our guide. She was good at working with our tracker to find Pumas and she was very good company.

Next morning a flight to Santiago, overnight and then the long flight back to London.

Overall Summary

The days we spent birding around Santiago and on the Pelagic trip were wonderful days. Really enjoyable and with a superb Bird Guide. Better than we expected

The time we spent on our own in Punta Arenas was relaxing and enjoyable. Going to see the King Penguins was very good.

Our main reason for going to Chile was to track Puma. We thought this experience was outstanding. The views of the Puma were far better than we expected. It is an amazing experience to follow them on foot, and to be able to get so close (in particular on day one). We saw a good range of behaviours, and saw Puma on each of our tracking sessions.

The landscapes, particularly in the Andes and Patagonia are stunning. We loved our trip to Chile.

Thank you for following along with the report!

Edited by TonyQ

Such a fantastic report @TonyQ.  Loved all your pictures and narrative.  Glad that it turned out really well for you.  The pumas alone would have made the trip for me but you also had so much other great wildlife and scenery.  I know Chile is not a cheap place to visit but it sure looks like it's worth it.

Thanks for sharing your travels.

Alan

Thank you for this awesome report which encouraged me to re-schedule our cancelled Chile trip! Fantastic pumas, birds, and scenery too. Great to see that you had what looks like mostly good weather, and lots of blooming plants too...we will go about 3 weeks later in November which should mean even more blooms. I can't wait :)

michael-ibk

And thanks from me Tony, this was such a good report, just wonderful sightings and photos. Got me trying to make this trip happen too, in 25 though. A long wait! 

Thanks from me as well @TonyQ. I'm also one who got to thinking about Chile while reading your report, unfortunately for me the puma tracking requires participants to be 18 (and my youngest is only 6). So I doubt I'll be doing it anytime soon, I'll have to live vicariously through all the reports that apparently will be coming. 

Kitsafari

Such a fabulous TR! The pumas were just outstanding. Ive been keen on a puma tracking adventure When I first read @gatoratlarge's report. But i had to wait till hubby was ready.  Your report helped speed up his interest so thank you!

kittykat23uk

I'd also like to do one at some point, although the three we saw at barranco alto pushed it down the priority list a bit 😂😂😂

Great report, Tony.  You did really well with the puma sightings.  

Thanks for sharing. On my list and almost at the top.

@TonyQThanks for a great report. The information is really helpful. I’ve been to the TdP for two short visits before although not for wildlife and I am seriously considering joining one of the small group puma tracking trips with Far South in mid-May and will now also look into adding the Penguin day trip (although it gets pricey as a solo traveller).

Thanks again for sharing this wonderful experience!!!!

pedro maia

Thanks for the report Tony, I really enjoyed it, what a fantastic trip!

Towlersonsafari

again really enjoyed the report- what a lovely holiday @TonyQ

Double Dare

I am going in October, hopefully.  I hesitate to say I will definitely be there as this will be the fourth time I have scheduled this trip!  I am going with Far South and will be staying at Hotel El Ovejero Patagonico.  

Your photos and trip report have made me very excited for my trip!  Hopefully, I will have excellent sightngs!  Thank you for posting.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for your kind comments and encouragement during the report.

I hope (and expect) those of you who are visiting will have a wonderful time!