...shows promise but needs to try harder

Soukous

As true now as it ever was.

The problem is I'm not really a birder and numbers really don't motivate me. I do love taking photos though and equally love seeing photos taken by others as they inspire many of my travels.

So will BY 2024 be any different? I doubt it. 

The weather recently has not been very favourable for photography, but posts in my local WhatsApp bird group make it clear that there are plenty to see.

#1 - Bewick's Swan - Cygnus columbianus

Boyton, Suffolk. Jan 2024

Why is it that white birds, which almost always look very clean, choose to locate themselves in the middle of muddy ploughed fields?

and how do they manage to still look so clean?

and how do they select the location that places them at the furthest point from anywhere we might try to view them from?

Bewick's Swan

Bewick's Swan

RSPB Boyton Marshes has been given a significant expansion recently. 

For many years it comprised a relatively small scrape which yielded up reasonable results and the sea wall was a good place for owls. 

Last year (2023) the reserve was made much larger and a new scrape was incorporated. The sightings at this new scrape have been very good indeed, but only if you use a telescope. There is no way to get close enough to the new scrape for photographs. There are plans underfoot to remedy this. 

RSPB Boyton is still a lovely place for birding with the hedgerows often as productive as the scrape.

#2 - Shelduck - Tadorna tadorna

RSPB Boyton, Suffolk. Jan 2024

shelduck

#3 - Blue Tit - Cyanistes caeruleus

RSPB Boyton, Suffolk. Jan 2024

It was there so I took a photo. It saves waiting for them to arrive in the garden

Blue Tit

#4 - Cetti's Warbler - Cettia cetti

RSPB Boyton Marshes, Suffolk. Jan 2024

A delight to photograph if only because this warbler always proudly announces its presence. Knowing it is there and getting a photo do not always go hand in hand,

Cetti's Warbler

but I was lucky.

Cetti's Warbler

Cetti's Warbler

Cetti's Warbler

after a rewarding visit to RSPB Boyton there was a temptation to continue on to Walberswick where flocks of up to 80 Snow Buntings had been seen in recent days. But I was there a week earlier and got photos of Snow Buntings - did I really need to go back so soon just to get a BY tick? 

I really must try harder ;)

Ooh, I almost forgot to mention, 2024 marks Big Year entering it's second decade.

Way back in 2014, there were only 5 contributors and we didn't even keep a running total of the species posted. :o

The camera has not been out of the cupboard yet this year, all a bit busy on stuff at the moment.

A Red Kite is wandering around above our house and garden again after being absent for a few months, keeping my eyes open for a Marsh Harrier or two which we tend to see in the Spring.

Mind you, a trip to the Dominican Republic in February should yield some nice bird pics!

Glad to see you are in for 2024 @Soukous

A wonderful Cetti's - they are so hard to photograph.

(and I have never yet seen a Bewick's Swan!)

Brilliant Cetti's pictures, @Soukous.

7 hours ago, Soukous said:

after a rewarding visit to RSPB Boyton there was a temptation to continue on to Walberswick where flocks of up to 80 Snow Buntings had been seen in recent days. But I was there a week earlier and got photos of Snow Buntings - did I really need to go back so soon just to get a BY tick? 

I really must try harder ;)

yes you must. Who knows when this glorious weather will return? Some of us have not had the luxury of seeing them in the uk….

Edited by Tdgraves
Typo

I gather Cetti's warblers are quite shy, but these are stunning pics!

I agree on the Cetti’s: beautiful shots and so hard to get!

14 hours ago, Soukous said:

did I really need to go back so soon just to get a BY tick? 

Yes! Seize the moment.

Kitsafari
8 hours ago, Tdgraves said:

yes you must. Who knows when this glorious weather will return? Some of us have not had the luxury of seeing them in the uk….

x2!

Gorgeous photos to kick off this year's BY threads @Soukous and those of the the cetti's are just the best ever. 

Peter Connan

A wonderful start!

OK @Tdgraves @Galana @Kitsafari good to know you all think I need to make more effort :P

I agree but, enjoyable as it is, there is more to life than looking at birds :o

22 hours ago, Tdgraves said:

yes you must.

Oh all right then.

Not nearly as nice a day today as yesterday, but the wind had dropped and the cloud cover meant it was a bit warmer. So off to Walberswick again, largely motivated by a friend who had not seen the Snow Buntings.

There were more of them than last time, probably around 50 now, although numbers have been reported as high as 80. We managed a good half hour watching them settle & take off and settle & take off before walkers with a dog made them fly away.

# 5 - Snow Bunting - Plectrophenax nivalis

Walberswick, Suffolk. Jan 2024

They are a delight to photograph because there are so many variations in plumage

Snow Bunting

Snow Bunting

Snow Bunting

Snow Bunting

# 6 Linnet - Linaria cannabina

Walberswick, Suffolk. Jan 2024

Linnet

BRACQUENE

Great start Martin and of course I love your Cetti’s ; was my favorite bird in 2023 ;)

Aren’t you glad you went??

You must be glad you went after all and I certainly am. Beautiful photos.

See. I knew you could do it. Great result.

Here you go, Martin! Are these taken from the ground level?

1 hour ago, xelas said:

Here you go, Martin! Are these taken from the ground level?

I was sitting on the shingle, which was VERY cold. 

Kitsafari

lovely photos of the buntings. thank you for suffering on cold shingles to bring these images for us, and of course for your BY!  

#7 - Greylag Goose - Anser anser

Aldeburgh, Suffolk. Jan 2024

Not the goose I was hoping for. There were Barnacle Geese and White-fronted Geese in the fields, but not close enough for a photo. Maybe with an OM1 a 400mm lens and a 2x internal converter I would have had a chance :P

Greylag Geese in flight

Greylag Goose

4 hours ago, Soukous said:

Maybe with an OM1 a 400mm lens and a 2x internal converter I would have had a chance :P

You should try this combo while in SA :D! Great photos with Nikon!

5 hours ago, xelas said:

You should try this combo while in SA :D! Great photos with Nikon!

Don't forget to add a 2x optical teleconverter as well, then you're at 3200mm FF equivalent!