PeterHG's BY in whatever form it will take.

PeterHG

Probably too late but bon Voyage anyway.

• 1 month later...
PeterHG

We're back from our Thailand trip and I.m working my way through the photos. A trip report is also in the making. In the meantime there was a little break in the rainy days and I drove to a nearby location where a rarity had been spotted. It took me some time to actiually find it as it was accompanied by a flock of lookalikes....

18. Mealy Redpoll. Blaricum, March 1

P3012232-Edit-XL.jpg

But this was the one I was looking for. Much lighter than the others, which was only visible when the whole flock landed in a nearby tree and then started foraging on the grass. A lifer.

19. Arctic Redpoll. Blaricum, March 1

P3012315-Edit-2-XL.jpg

Kitsafari

welcome back @PeterHG! i was mentioning to hubby on Thursday night that you were in Thailand as he flew up to Bangkok very early Friday morning for a 3-day birding trip (I can't join him as I've been housebound for the last six weeks). I'm anticipating brilliant shots of some beautiful birds from Thailand from you in both BY and TR! 

PeterHG

Thank you @Kitsafari! I don’t know about brilliant shots, I truly enjoyed the birding but photography in the forests was challenging to say the least. All the more appreciation for the quality of shots both you and Herman manage to produce. I hope he is having a worthwhile trip to Bangkok.

10 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

as I've been housebound for the last six weeks)

I am sorry to hear that. It sounds like serious physical issues and whatever the cause I hope you’ll recover soon!

PeterHG

I posted an introduction to a Thailand trip report here: (I don't promise daily updates, but the first installment ay least puts a little pressure on myself....;))

@Kitsafarisorry to hear that you are housebound at the moment. Wishing you a speedy recovery 

PeterHG

Let's make a start with some Thailand bird. As I am only slowly going through my photos, I'll post them in chronological order. If I come across better, post-worthy shots of the same species I'll add them at a later stage and, of course, will take great care not to count them double. Taking into account my advancing age and the aforementione double vision you'd better watch the numbers closely....:rolleyes:

Our first birding stop was at the Pathum Rice Research centre. A nice place to get acqainted with the local birds and still good for a number of lifers. Well, on a first visit to the country that's no surprise.

20 / TH 01. White-rumper Munia. Pathum, January. We did see them again at some other places, though in small numbers

P1241357-Edit-X2.jpg

21 / TH 02. Java Sparrow. Pathum January. An introduced species as I understand. Threatened worldwide. This is the only sighting.

P1241377-Edit-X2.jpg

22 / TH 03. Eastern Marsh Harrier. Pathum, January. Seen at various locations.

P1241425-Edit-X2.jpg

23 / TH 04. Red-collared Dove. Pathum, January. 

P1241399-X2.jpg

24 / TH 05. Germain's Swiftlet. Pathum January. Very common

P1241450-X2.jpg

25 / TH 06. Wood Sandpiper. Pathum, January. A familiar sight...

P1241456-X2.jpg

26 / TH 07. Asian Openbill. Pathum January. Seen at most locations.

P1241463-X2.jpg

27 / TH 08. Eastern Cattle Egret. Pathum, January. The IOC considers it a separate species, so who am I to argue?

P1241478-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

P1241494-X2.jpg

Must be that your double vision works great, as already in your first post from Thailand you have a couple of birds I have missed. No doubt there will be more to enjoy.

Edited by xelas

PeterHG

Thanks Alex! Looking forward to photos from your newly-discovered birding location!

PeterHG

A few more from the Rice Research Centre:

28 / TH 09. Medium Egret, Pathum, January

P1241485-X2.jpg

29 /TH 10. Black-capped Kingfisher.. Pathum, January. Only seen twice.

P1241510-Edit-X2.jpg

30 /TH 11. Black Drongo. Pathum January. Seen in many areas.

P1241518-Edit-X2.jpg

31 / TH 12. Zebra Dove. Pathum, January. Very common in all areas.

P1241534-X2.jpg

32 TH 13. Black-headed Ibis. Pathum, January. Very distant, but happy to have taken a photo. We saw it briefly on one other occasion.

P1241548-Edit-X2.jpg

33 /TH 14. Asian Golden Weaver. Pathum, January. There were probably many more, but none allowed really good shots.

P1241569-X2.jpg

34 /TH 15. Plain Prinia. Pathum, January.

P1241575-X2.jpg

35 /TH 16. Amur Stonechat. Pathum, January. Looking very much like its European cousin.

P1241589-Edit-X2.jpg

Kitsafari
On 3/5/2024 at 11:45 PM, TonyQ said:

@Kitsafarisorry to hear that you are housebound at the moment. Wishing you a speedy recovery 

Thank you @PeterHG @TonyQ - the doctor gave me an all-clear last week though I'll take it easy for the next few days. Just finished booking a 3-day trip to Thailand to nail that spoonie that has evaded me the last two times. 

PeterHG
8 hours ago, Kitsafari said:

to nail that spoonie that has evaded me the last two times.

Good to hear! Go for it.

BRACQUENE

A belated welcome back Peter and a great start of your Thailand birds ! 

PeterHG

Our first day in Khao Yai NP we went out with a guide. We owe him a lot of species we had never found ourselves, but the fact that is was a heavily overcast morning made photography very difficult. Also many of the birds he managed to find were pretty high up in the canopy. Well, record shots then, but we did enjoy so many new birds.

36 / TH 17. Blue-winged Leafbird. Khao Yai, January. We probably saw more, but they were always quite ditant.

P1251619-Edit-2-XL.jpg

37 / TH 18. Rosy Minivet. Khao Yai, January. Only seen a few times.

P1251623-Edit-XL.jpg

38 / TH 19. Asian Fairy-bluebird. Kha Yai, January. A beautiful bird, but it never gave us a good photo opportunity.

P1251670-Edit-XL.jpg

39 /TH 20. Black-winged Cuckoo-shrike. Khao Yai.

P1251672-Edit-XL.jpg

40 / TH 21. Bar-winged Flycatcher-shrike. Khao Yai, January. Only sighting of the trip.

P1251763-XL.jpg

41 / TH 22. Ashy Minivet. Khao Yai, January. Another one of those greysish long-tailed canopy-dwellers...

P1251794-XL.jpg

42 / TH 23. Blue-eared Barbet. Khao Yai, January. I think we got slightly better views later on, but I haven't got there yet with processing my photos.

P1251902-Edit-XL.jpg

43 / TH 24. Taiga Flycatcher. Khao Yai, January. Unobtrusive little bird, but quite common.

P1251869-Edit-XL.jpg

44 / TH 25. Cambodian Flowepecker. Khao Yai, January. At last a little bird that allowed for better shots. Only seen this once.

P1251837-Edit-X2.jpg

45 / TH 26. Great Hornbill. Khao Yai, January. Definitely one of the highlights of the first day in the park. Impressive birds and so large you can hear the wingbeats before you actually see them.

P1251650-X2.jpg

P1262458-Edit-Edit-X2.jpg

Peter Connan

Great Hornbill sure is an impressive bird, and you captured it beautifully!

PeterHG

Thank you @Peter Connan!

Some more from The Khao Yai NP:

46 / TH 27. Thick-billed Green Pigeon. Khao Yai, January. A beautiful member of the pigeon family.

P1251861-X2.jpg

47 / TH 28. Two-barred Warbler. Khao Yai NP. We definitely missed more warbler species than we saw, as they are so small and usually hop about in the canopy, but this one showed quite well.

P1251904-X2.jpg

48 / TH 29. Black-crested Bulbul. Khao Yai, January. Seen in quite a few places. 

P1251932-X2.jpg

49 / TH 30. Grey-eyed Bulbul. Khao Yai, January. A rather dull member of the bulbul family.

P1262164-Edit-X2.jpg

50 / TH 31. Buffy Fish Owl. Khao Yai, January. We owe this beautiful juvenile to our guide, who took us to the spot where they were seen regularly.

P1251920-X2.jpg

Peter Connan

Lovely owl shot!

I get the feeling conditions were very challenging for photography? Low light the order of the day? I think this is the first time I've seen that amazing camera of yours struggle.

Edited by Peter Connan

PeterHG
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

I think this is the first time I've seen that amazing camera of yours struggle.

Your assumption is spot-on, Peter. Our days is Khao Yai were grey, with only some sunshine later in the day and adding to that, many of the birds we saw were high up in the canopy and extremely shy, so most of the photos are heavily cropped. We thoroughly enjoyed the birding in Thailand, but photography-wise it was often challenging, indeed. Well, for an older guy like me, anyway…;)

Edited by PeterHG

PeterHG

Still more from Khao Yai

51 / TH 32 Wreathed Hornbill. Khao yai, January. Another beautiful member of the hornbill family. Only seen in Khao Yai

P1251957-X2.jpg

P2014669-Edit-X2.jpg

52 / TH 33. Yellow-browed Warbler. Khao Yai, January. Quite common, but not always easy to see well.

P1262223-Edit-X2.jpg

53 / TH 34. Brown Shrike. Khao Yai, January. Seen at various locations.

P1262183-X2.jpg

54 / TH 35. Himalayan Swiftlet. Kha Yai, January. Probably more common than we thought as the swiftlets were often high up and we did not search all groups extensively. 

P1262345-Edit-X2.jpg

55 / TH 36. Long-tailed Broadbill. Khao Yai, January. We did not see many broadbills, which is a shame because they are all quite beautiful.

P1272481-X2.jpg

56 / TH 37. Ashy Drongo. Khao Yai, January. Seen at most locations.

P1272502-X2.jpg

57 / TH 38. Puff-throated Bulbul. Khao Yai, January.  We met one noisy group on our walk from the visitor's centre.

P1272675-Edit-X2.jpg

Peter Connan

More beautiful birds!

PeterHG

Thank you @Peter Connan

The last batch from Khao Yai:

58 / TH 39. Common Hill Myna. Khao Yai, January. In spite of the name not nearly as common as the Great and Common Myna. We saw it two or three times.

P1272489-X2.jpg

59 / TH 40. Ruby-cheeked Sunbird. Khao Yai January. The only sighting.

P1272525-X2.jpg

60 / TH 41. Green-billed Malkoha. Khao Yai, January. A non-parasitic member of the cuckoo family.

P1272555-X2.jpg

61 / TH 42. Ashy Woodswallow. Khao Yai, Jjanuary. Very common and often perching on the ubiquitous power lines, so a flight shot was in order.

P1272603-Edit-X2.jpg

michael-ibk

Beautiful photos Peter, great birds! You did very well under these tough conditions. 

PeterHG

Thanks Michael. I’m looking forward to your Oman birds, too !

Having blue sky helps. But have you missed other broadbills in Khao Yai?

PeterHG
37 minutes ago, xelas said:

But have you missed other broadbills in Khao Yai?

I'm afraid so. We did see the black-and-yellow broadbill briefly in Kaeng Krachan, but no others.