Green Season with Alwyn Myburg - Moremi Game Reserve

Alex The Lion

Alex The Lion

I traveled to Botswana at the end of January for 10 days, a little too short, though good to escape the UK winter.

I won't provide a day by day account, though just a few images as I get the time to edit them. I have forgotten how beautiful the Green season can be. What you lose in quantity of sightings is often compensated for by verdant landscapes and moody lighting. I was fortunate that due to the lack of rain, the green grasses around 1st, 2nd, 3rd Bridge and Mboma Island were low enough to allow me to take the images I wanted. We did spend some time in Xini and on the Gomoti (full of Lechwe and Lion who just hid in blue bushed) though 2nd Bridge was the most productive area.

Logistics were a bit of nightmare, as they closed Xakanaxa airstrip the day before flying, though Heli Horizons came to the rescue, and helped with some aerial images too.

_DSC1624_DxO-1.jpg.3a77bda35935cb02a05e65b11622c72c.jpg

_DSC1180_DxO-1.jpg.332258977f7916888aad957723050a8a.jpg

_DSC3232_DxO-1..jpg

Edited by Alex The Lion

WOW! There are very nice images! @Alex The Lion

I love the photo of the stork. It has an atmosphere and show that it is not always necessary to lighten the shadows. It could be also low-key.

So, you get out of the car to get a low angle?

Did you camp? 

Have you had a lot of rain during your stay?

Alex The Lion

Thanks @ElenaH

The green season really helps to create the more moody/dark images, and the grass provides the contrast that enables everything to pop.

In terms of  the low angle, there are a lot of factors playing into the effect. My primary shooting body has a 400 F2.8, though to get more lens compression, I often have a 1.4x converter on it.

I also had a filming platform built and have a vehicle with no doors. Sitting on the platform places me level with the foot well. I can then hang the camera over the edge and use an Atomos monitor attached as my viewfinder. It can make composition a little tricky at times. However, in the case of the stork, I was flat on my stomach.

The filming platform, which you can see below allows low angle photography without really affecting animal behaviour.

PXL_20240126_171455597.jpg.6a8971839d291945376867f4336f5583.jpg

This was one location we camped. Having got stuck Infront lions at sunset along the Gomoti. We were some 200m from the nearest wood source and ended up not being able able jack and get the axels clear. We spent the night in the vehicle until we got pulled clear in the early morning.

We setup up a rough mobile camp in different locations. In terms of weather, one light shower, and very hot the rest of the time. You can tell it's an El Nino year, the grasses are already dying in places.

The grasses were certainly shorter around 2nd Bridge. The soils are sandier there though it could also be a result of the patchy rains, with more falling over Xini and Blackpools.

Edited by Alex The Lion

Alex The Lion

@ElenaH

Not having access to a filming platform and no door at the lodges in the concessions is one reason I don't visit.

I had planned on a lodge based trip this January, though operators were not keen to let me use a filming vehicle even if I paid additionally.

Edited by Alex The Lion

14 hours ago, Alex The Lion said:

However, in the case of the stork, I was flat on my stomach.

Don't they (rangers) say you something regarding getting out of the car? Are they strict or nobody saw it anyway? I am just planning my trip to Bots and will be staying in Third Bridge in Moremi. I've been there a few times but normally I am in Mana Pools and there you can walk without guide so, lying on the stomach is a natural position there. But the animals are also used to humans. The question is how it is in Moremi. On the camping ground you are out anyway. But somewhere on the way .. ecxept you are stuck ;-)  it could be a problem because of the rules.

Just thinking how was your night in the middle of Moremi in the car..  without doors.

Edited by wilddog
moved to Moremi-Planning & Logistics in Trip Planning

Alex The Lion

@ElenaH

Take whatever the guide says about Lion prides and Dog packs with a pinch of salt. These dynamics can change in a couple of days.

Edited by wilddog

madaboutcheetah

Looks like another stellar safari @Alex The Lion- Botswana rocks!!! 

Adding to your comment on the Dogs/ Lions ....... Not just what guides say - but, what you see on social media ....... Some people as you know on FB/Instagram hang on to Lions that are long long long gone !!!! 

You know what i'm talking about ..... ;) 

6 hours ago, madaboutcheetah said:

Adding to your comment on the Dogs/ Lions

Folks, it was in the book (issued in 2023) - it was just said that there is a resident pack around third bridge and another around Xakanaxa-Dead Tree Island  and the third like come-and-go. Theoretically the dynamic can remain as this.

Edited by wilddog

I thought only professional filming staff were allowed to have signage on their vehicles saying ‘ do not follow , filming vehicle’. Surely as a self- drive tourist you can’t stop others following the same wildlife?

@JulianI think you will find @Alex The LionIS a professional and has hired vehicles and drivers/guides as indicated above

Edited by wilddog

Alex The Lion
39 minutes ago, Julian said:

I thought only professional filming staff were allowed to have signage on their vehicles saying ‘ do not follow , filming vehicle’. Surely as a self- drive tourist you can’t stop others following the same wildlife?

@Julian

I have a film permit from the Government for Moremi Game Reserve. This requires me to to place all the signage on the vehicle, as you can see in the attached picture.

For each visit I have get a separate permit from the Parks Board for the duration of my time there.

The "do not follow" sign is because the permit allows you to drive off road. There are clear rules that we are not to place ourselves in positions that interfers with others game viewing. However, quite often we base  ourselves in more remote areas of the park that few people visit. For example, along the Gomoti. Even places like Xini are not busy with only a few mobile operators in the area. Fortunately Xini is too far from the public campsites, and they have to leave the area quite early to return to camp.

I do share the driving with my guide, as that is part of the experience for me.

I'm going to explain the process to in the other thread.

Edited by Alex The Lion

The planning and logistics thread for Alex' Moremi trip can be HERE

Edited by wilddog
Correction

@Alex The LionWOW! that image of the dog with the impala head is stunning. I bet it would make a good print.

Alex The Lion
11 minutes ago, wilddog said:

@Alex The LionWOW! that image of the dog with the impala head is stunning. I bet it would make a good print.

Thanks, I've quite a few from this series. Just fortunate so many variables came together.

Edited by Alex The Lion

Alex The Lion

I'm quite please with the next couple of images. Not always the easiest subjects to photograph, the green season made it easy! I also stop to photograph more subjects this time of year, partly as predators are more scattered, which I think subconsciously affects your  expectations.

I've also started editing using linear camera profiles, which provides softer subtle hues in many cases.

_DSC9608_DxO-1.jpg.e60194e39313e4cf3d69b524292abede.jpg

_DSC0098_DxO-1.jpg.e530a5420d843febbefeefb7fc7fbd71.jpg

Alex The Lion
8 hours ago, madaboutcheetah said:

Looks like another stellar safari @Alex The Lion- Botswana rocks!!! 

Adding to your comment on the Dogs/ Lions ....... Not just what guides say - but, what you see on social media ....... Some people as you know on FB/Instagram hang on to Lions that are long long long gone !!!! 

You know what i'm talking about ..... ;) 

It certainly does rock @madaboutcheetah

Was photographically more rewarding than July, though I think that is how the predators pop out of the green backgrounds.

Alex The Lion

Final image for the weekend.

Sunset over Xini Lagoon. A blend of two images

.PanoEdit.jpg.feaabae35efedb8e2994d307b8982370.jpg

The photos are simply stunning @Alex The Lion

@wilddogI can't open the link you posted. Not sure if the issue is on my side or not...

3 hours ago, Alex The Lion said:

I've also started editing using linear camera profiles, which provides softer subtle hues in many cases.

@Alex The Lion, Alex, what are those linear camera profiles? 

THe pictures are really great, the deepness of saturation is different.

Alex The Lion

@ElenaH

https://tonykuyper.wordpress.com/2021/07/23/the-linear-profile-a-new-beginning-in-light-room-and-camera-raw/

Effectively, when you process a RAW file, the camera profile you choose will "boost" the image from a pure flat raw file.

I choose to create my own flat profile and work in the adjustments I choose. It can be easier to work with highlights and shadows. I don't just press "Auto" like the article suggests.

Edited by Alex The Lion

thank you, @Alex The LionI have already found that site and downloaded the profiles :rolleyes:

I also found a few tutorials on youtube how to create one. I know that each photo-development program uses its own curve but I didn't know that you can override it with the own profile.

Alex The Lion
23 hours ago, ricmiles said:

@wilddogI can't open the link you posted. Not sure if the issue is on my side or not...

@ricmiles

Thanks, the green season made it a lot easier.

Edited by Alex The Lion

23 hours ago, ricmiles said:

Corrected now 

Alex The Lion

Sunset over the winding waters of the Delta.

Gomoti-Sunset.jpg.886a667a8f991ad58032fa6aed7ce3ea.jpg

Alex The Lion

Looking back at th above image, I think I need to revisit it with a gradient filter to work on where the distant landscape meets the sky.

This is a blend of 3 images and is very typical of the Botswana green season. Distant rain covering the sunset with tall clouds being lit up either side. Each of the 3 photos has 5 bracketed exposures, though I have been a bit lazy and not blended them.

Image looking west from Mboma Island.

Sunset---Mboma-Island.jpg.63cb19e4794012ef461a7097042d0db1.jpg

Edited by Alex The Lion