Mana Pools as a photographic destination. Trips 2022 and 2023.

ElenaH

pscrimshaw
6 hours ago, ElenaH said:

it depend also on the time you are going. What month are you going? and year? 

Most likely September/October 2025. I really want to give myself the best possible chance then

michael-ibk

What a fantastic thread, thanks so much for doing this Elena. So many familiar locations, and you showcase them with so many beautiful photos. Excellent, excellent photos throughout. Mana Pools really is such a unique destination, and a happy place for me. Bravo bravo bravo, this topic really deserves more attention.

On 4/20/2024 at 7:10 PM, michael-ibk said:

What a fantastic thread, thanks so much for doing this Elena. So many familiar locations, and you showcase them with so many beautiful photos. Excellent, excellent photos throughout. Mana Pools really is such a unique destination, and a happy place for me. Bravo bravo bravo, this topic really deserves more attention.

Oh, thank you very much, Michel! I have been three for some times staying long and therefore thought to give it more details, tell about possibilities and special places. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

@pscrimshaw, if I may intersperse:

Wild dogs are extremely mobile animals. They move fast and cover massive distances, having very large territories. On the other hand, when they are in an area they are relatively often spotted.

For this reason they are very much hit-and-miss for self-drivers, as self-drivers don't have the network and constant presence in an area.

Wild dogs are in my opinion one of the species that most require a guide to see them. If you do self-drive, try to ask others in the area where the dens are, as that's your best bet to find them and you have chosen a good time of year for that. But it might still be a good idea to hire a guide for the first day or so?

Edited by Peter Connan

Walking in on the den is frowned upon, as it may force the dogs to move on.   I believe the dogs normally den in June and go nomadic in September. 

Best to have a walking guide