Jump to content

Breathtaking Moments in Mana Pools, Zimbabwe During Our Self-Drive Safari


JPS

Recommended Posts

In the golden haze of September 2023, we embarked on a wild, self-drive journey into the heart of Mana Pools, Zimbabwe. Fueled by wanderlust and a thirst for thrills, we orgnaised every twist and turn with the help of our South African 4x4 tribe. Our mission? To unveil the raw, unfiltered beauty of Mana Pools in a mesmerizing slow-motion video that captures its essence and beauty. But wait – there's a twist! Brace yourself for an electrifying bonus scene at the end: a huge elephant crashes our bushcamper kitchen, catching us off guard while my wife was sleeping inside.

 

Enjoy it, and if you have any questions about how the trip was planned or what tools and equipment I used, I'm here to spill all the details.

 

_MGL0039.JPG.6a47bbd3cc22a64b777fb1bf67623357.JPG_MGL0031(2)-Verbeterd-NR.JPG.06e99917a7d7d5fb46b1f0e2d809870c.JPGIMGL8390.JPG.dcea2a0efaaefdb5b8d9376fe8138652.JPGIMGL2925.JPG.32b0f561e5a9395b6f62a811d0c40ea0.JPGIMGL2855.JPG.1c7e28db2f24e85c8e49e36bfa1f6fa0.JPGIMGL2797.JPG.7981a177f104ed4190a926c30ff3ba70.JPGIMGL2768.JPG.f6c38b5d100765c731cd2a289a365816.JPG_MGL9994.JPG.ac22000ad4d519586a37fd3da5fe8011.JPG_MGL9683.JPG.d147e895c60e7210edcd1ad583bffb8b.JPG_MGL9634.JPG.ae90677f45fb811813eb1025de5ec414.JPG_MGL9456-Verbeterd-NR.JPG.75b4251b6b8277440cc7acd6947b2e92.JPG_MGL9452.JPG.3fc68aed1ccf54917edf39ac9b4fcda1.JPG_MGL9439-Verbeterd-NR.JPG.5b9f8d1b16697809aa7d3f48e2b6ad01.JPG_MGL9420.JPG.72b2d5a263ff6c32a6a48d1d590946f6.JPG_MGL9238.JPG.69d6b30b06c92b4d5abf2be7c38be06e.JPG_MGL9190.JPG.f8098c7e11fbc5e5a5facbdc9c2f9969.JPG_MGL9089.JPG.63e49d0fe355c84fd2d0bb240c00f8e7.JPG_MGL9052-Verbeterd-NR.JPG.f22ac022c338b2fa2ce0b895d4af726a.JPG_MGL9001-Verbeterd-NR.JPG.1cf4da428ab83ff693224cab56a188bb.JPG_MGL8839.JPG.8d0150b7a8445cadb1df82ac47b19379.JPG_MGL8775.jpg.cac4992e2e854fe43f58ff2e343edee8.jpg_MGL8385.JPG.6bd4ed2d1a582801412663c837ec94ed.JPG_MGL8295-Verbeterd-NR.JPG.27f04d3aa9728de02037c7af7b2e50de.JPG_MGL0331.JPG.552d53933dc5600cfefd78fd134b39c2.JPG

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

wilddog

A throughly enjoyable video of my favourite place in Earth.

 

I am watching it in the UK,  with my morning coffee, and being transported back.

 

You had some wonderful moments .

 

But a giraffe? There are none in Mana Pools

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, wilddog said:

A throughly enjoyable video of my favourite place in Earth.

 

I am watching it in the UK,  with my morning coffee, and being transported back.

 

You had some wonderful moments .

 

But a giraffe? There are none in Mana Pools

Thank you for taking the time to watch and share your thoughts! I'm delighted to hear that the video brought back fond memories of your favorite place on Earth, even all the way from the UK. I'm grateful for your kind words about the moments captured.

Regarding the giraffe, I appreciate your keen eye and attention to detail. You're absolutely right; there are no giraffes native to Mana Pools. The inclusion of the giraffe was a litle touch of Hwange NP, there are three clips not from Mana, the Girafe, the running Lions and Rhino at the beginning, they are from antelope park, but 99% is from Manapools. I'm glad you still enjoyed the overall experience despite the oversight.

 

Cheers!

 

Johan and Natalie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

wilddog

Hwange would explain it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tom Kellie

~ @JPS: Such lovely colors in low lighting conditions!

 

Your images are inspiring.

 

What superb sightings.

 

The bee-eater in flight!

 

Thank you!

 

      Tom K.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Tom Kellie said:

~ @JPS: Such lovely colors in low lighting conditions!

 

Your images are inspiring.

 

What superb sightings.

 

The bee-eater in flight!

 

Thank you!

 

      Tom K.

Thank you for your kind words, Tom! I'm thrilled to hear that you found the images inspiring and that you enjoyed the sightings captured in the video.

The bee-eater in flight was indeed a magical moment to witness and not easy to capture. Nature truly has a way of mesmerizing us with its beauty.

 

Thank you for taking the time to watch and appreciate the video. Your support means a lot!

 

Wishing you many more inspiring moments in nature!

 

Cheers

 

Natalie and Johan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

WOW! What an amazing professionally made film! Excellent colours and thrilling moments! You cut the footage very good and keep me engaged. The running lions are fantastic ;-) You have also seen the interaction between hyena and wild dogs! Stunning sightings! You included also yourself, Natali and your guide and I found it very good because it adds to the story. I also like the change (the cut) of moving pictures to stills of the same sightings.

It was especially interesting for me to watch this video because we were there the same time approximately. 

Do you take your videos in RAW and make a grading? 

I also noticed how good the sound is done. Not every camera records the sound when taking video in 60 or 120fps or slow-mo. So, you recorded the sound separately, I assume. Very well done!

The voice-over is done by AI , right? 

 

Super film and beautiful photos. I remember that running through the water waterbuck! It is nice! And you also have a photo of it. During taking a video? The other waterbuck in the group: firstly I thought it is a photo because they were so still standing and watching at you but then the right one came into the frame :lol: 

The pictures have an analog touch. Very well done! Thank you very much for sharing it with us!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Atravelynn

Some spectacular "footage."  The hyena action shots with the wild dogs and the lions in the background are unique. So many closeups! Sights and sounds, both natural and musical combine for a most professional looking production.  The Zimbabwe Tourism Authority could not come up with anything better, though they'd likely omit those last moments with the mischievous elephant.  Thank you for posting this work of art.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ElenaH said:

Do you take your videos in RAW and make a grading? 

 

 

I haven't watched the video but there is no such thing as "filming in raw". What you perhaps mean is filming in a so-called "flat" profile like D-log and then grade to your liking or use pre-compiled LUTs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Atravelynn

That flat profile like D-log pre-compiled LUTs sure turned out well!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, ElenaH said:

WOW! What an amazing professionally made film! Excellent colours and thrilling moments! You cut the footage very good and keep me engaged. The running lions are fantastic ;-) You have also seen the interaction between hyena and wild dogs! Stunning sightings! You included also yourself, Natali and your guide and I found it very good because it adds to the story. I also like the change (the cut) of moving pictures to stills of the same sightings.

It was especially interesting for me to watch this video because we were there the same time approximately. 

Do you take your videos in RAW and make a grading? 

I also noticed how good the sound is done. Not every camera records the sound when taking video in 60 or 120fps or slow-mo. So, you recorded the sound separately, I assume. Very well done!

The voice-over is done by AI , right? 

 

Super film and beautiful photos. I remember that running through the water waterbuck! It is nice! And you also have a photo of it. During taking a video? The other waterbuck in the group: firstly I thought it is a photo because they were so still standing and watching at you but then the right one came into the frame :lol: 

The pictures have an analog touch. Very well done! Thank you very much for sharing it with us!

Thank you so much for your incredibly detailed and thoughtful feedback! I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the film and found it engaging. Capturing those thrilling moments in the wild is truly a privilege, and I'm glad they resonated with you.

Regarding your questions:

  1. No, I typically shoot my videos in 4K standard format with R5 120 frame rate and edit with magix video pro x

  2. Sound is indeed crucial in videos, and I'm glad you noticed the quality. For scenes with high frame rates or slow motion, I do record sound separately and sync it with the footage during editing to ensure clarity and fidelity.

  3. Yes, the voice-over is generated by AI. I do not like to hear my own voice with that Dutchie accent:unsure:

  4. I'm glad you enjoyed the analog touch in the photos. I strive to create a cinematic and immersive experience, and it's rewarding to hear that it resonated with you.

Thank you once again for your kind words and for taking the time to share your thoughts. It means a lot to me.Especially after reviewing your work :) 

 

Kind regards 

 

Johan and Natalie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, ice said:

 

I haven't watched the video but there is no such thing as "filming in raw". What you perhaps mean is filming in a so-called "flat" profile like D-log and then grade to your liking or use pre-compiled LUTs.

Yes, Elena is using the correct terminology. According to the manual, the Canon EOS R5 is capable of recording full-frame 8K 30p 12-bit RAW video and full-frame 4K 120p (4:2:2 10-bit) video internally. While I personally didn't shoot in RAW and don't claim to be an expert in video terminology, her description seems to accurately reflect the capabilities outlined in the manual.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Atravelynn said:

Some spectacular "footage."  The hyena action shots with the wild dogs and the lions in the background are unique. So many closeups! Sights and sounds, both natural and musical combine for a most professional looking production.  The Zimbabwe Tourism Authority could not come up with anything better, though they'd likely omit those last moments with the mischievous elephant.  Thank you for posting this work of art.

Thank for your generous and enthusiastic feedback! I'm thrilled that you found the footage captivating and the production professional. Capturing those unique moments in the wild was truly a privilege, and I'm glad they resonated with you.

Your kind words about the combination of natural sights and sounds, along with the musical elements, mean a lot. It's my goal to create an immersive and memorable experience for viewers, and I'm delighted that it came across that way to you.

As for the mischievous elephant moment, it's all part of the raw and authentic beauty of nature, isn't it? Sometimes the unexpected adds an extra layer of charm to the experience.

Thank you again for your support and for appreciating the work. 

 

Wishing you many more moments of awe and wonder in the wild!

 

Kind regards

 

Johan anmd Natalie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, JPS said:

Yes, the voice-over is generated by AI. I do not like to hear my own voice with that Dutchie accent

I still do voice-over by myself however I don't like my accent, too. :blink:  But my partner mentioned that the accent is better than AI because it gives a touch of personality and he likes when a human is talking to him (well... :D )

However, you have found quite a good AI ! It speaks with emotion. what did you use? The free versions of text-to-voice are not so good. For me it is always a question: talk myself or take a better (not a freeware) AI ..? hmm

 

19 hours ago, ice said:

I haven't watched the video but there is no such thing as "filming in raw". What you perhaps mean is filming in a so-called "flat" profile like D-log and then grade to your liking or use pre-compiled LUTs.

To be honest I am also not an expert in video but saw N-RAW (NEV) and ProRes RAW HQ 12-Bit (MOV) in my camera as a video file type. The first one NEV seems like a video-RAW to me. However, I can be mistaken. 

I personally don't use those formats because I think that I need to know how to use them and because they take a lot of space on the card. That would mean to have more cards, to download the cards more often and charge my notebook more often. And in the camping conditions it is not always possible. So, I can only charge from the car and if I don't drive too much (like in Chitake Springs, for example) then it's a problem. After all I need to charge my batteries as well. 

So, it is definitely a better way to make a video production but not at the moment. As an amateur wildlife film-maker I think I need to bring the nature colours and don't need to grade .. well, it depends, of course. If I had an electricity I would probably done N-RAW.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/1/2024 at 6:23 PM, ElenaH said:

I still do voice-over by myself however I don't like my accent, too. :blink:  But my partner mentioned that the accent is better than AI because it gives a touch of personality and he likes when a human is talking to him (well... :D )

However, you have found quite a good AI ! It speaks with emotion. what did you use? The free versions of text-to-voice are not so good. For me it is always a question: talk myself or take a better (not a freeware) AI ..? hmm

It's completely understandable to have preferences regarding voice-over accents, and it's great that your partner appreciates the touch of personality that a human voice brings.

Regarding AI voice generation, there are indeed various options available, ranging from free versions to more advanced paid versions. The quality of AI-generated voices has improved significantly in recent years, with some platforms offering more natural-sounding and emotive voices.

As for the specific AI I used, I utilized a paid version of a text-to-speech service that provides high-quality, natural-sounding voices with emotional inflections. While free versions may not always offer the same level of quality and customization, there are certainly paid options worth exploring if you're looking for a more polished result.

Ultimately, the decision between recording your own voice or using AI depends on your preferences, time constraints, and the specific needs of your project. Both options have their advantages and can effectively convey your message to your audience. If you're satisfied with your voice-over recordings and your partner appreciates the personal touch, then continuing to record your own voice may be the best choice for you.

However, if you're open to exploring AI options and find one that suits your needs and budget, it can offer convenience and consistency in voice-over production. It's all about finding the balance that works best for you and your project. And not to forget to mention, my wife preferred the AI voice instead of mine  :wacko:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/1/2024 at 6:23 PM, ElenaH said:

To be honest I am also not an expert in video but saw N-RAW (NEV) and ProRes RAW HQ 12-Bit (MOV) in my camera as a video file type. The first one NEV seems like a video-RAW to me. However, I can be mistaken. 

I personally don't use those formats because I think that I need to know how to use them and because they take a lot of space on the card. That would mean to have more cards, to download the cards more often and charge my notebook more often. And in the camping conditions it is not always possible. So, I can only charge from the car and if I don't drive too much (like in Chitake Springs, for example) then it's a problem. After all I need to charge my batteries as well. 

So, it is definitely a better way to make a video production but not at the moment. As an amateur wildlife film-maker I think I need to bring the nature colours and don't need to grade .. well, it depends, of course. If I had an electricity I would probably done N-RAW.

Yes correct, ultimately, the most important thing is to choose the filming and editing approach that best suits your needs and allows you to effectively convey the beauty and essence of the wildlife and nature you're capturing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JPS said:

However, if you're open to exploring AI options and find one that suits your needs and budget, it can offer convenience and consistency in voice-over production. It's all about finding the balance that works best for you and your project. And not to forget to mention, my wife preferred the AI voice instead of mine  :wacko:

:lol:

And what are you using, Johan? Which one AI product (they are many)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, ElenaH said:

:lol:

And what are you using, Johan? Which one AI product (they are many)

AI Voice Generator: Text to Speech

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Safaritalk uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. By using Safaritalk you agree to our use of cookies. If you wish to refuse the setting of cookies you can change settings on your browser to clear and block cookies. However, by doing so, Safaritalk may not work properly and you may not be able to access all areas. If you are happy to accept cookies and haven't adjusted browser settings to refuse cookies, Safaritalk will issue cookies when you log on to our site. Please also take a moment to read the Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy: Terms of Use l Privacy Policy