Northern Botswana Trip Report

Guest sniktawk

From my experience, I believe that John is correct. Though if the spillway were to flow, that would only add to the confusion. I can never remember which way it actually flows...................

The majority of the Linyanti is actaully past the WS concession, around the area of the Chobe enclave. Last year, was the first tiem I had seen certain areas flooded, including Lake Liambezi

From what i've read the Okavango side of the Selinda Spillway is 30 metres higher than the Linyanti end. So I'll leave it to you to decide which way it flows. Nevertheless the amount of water that pushes up the spillway when the Linyanti River is flowing strongly would make you think it flowed in both directions.

Lake Liambesi also flooded a few years back displacing many people.

Geoff.

Alex The Lion

Thanks for that info Geoff. The backfill on a lot rivers can give the impression of a revere flow. It happens on the Chobe/Zambezi and Luangwa/Zambezi confluences too. I always thought the Delta was lower than the Kwando/Linyanti river system. I think that may only be the case once the Okavango has passed the Gumare fault line.......As I am back in Bots on Tuesday, I will source that geopgraphical study report on the delta that many of the camps have in book form.

If the cartographers approve, I'm on board with Greater Linyanti!

Guest nyama

A book recommendation: "Kalahari: Life's variety in dune and delta", by Mike Main (ISBN 978-1-86812-001-7, Southern Book Publishers (Struik), 1987). If you ever find a copy at a 2nd-hand bookshop or at Abebooks.com - buy it!

• 2 weeks later...
A book recommendation: "Kalahari: Life's variety in dune and delta", by Mike Main (ISBN 978-1-86812-001-7, Southern Book Publishers (Struik), 1987). If you ever find a copy at a 2nd-hand bookshop or at Abebooks.com - buy it!

Plenty of copies available on abebooks at the moment - just been looking for a different book so checked this while I was at it.