Botswana August 2008 Trip report & photos

Canadian Robin

Canadian Robin

Hello everyone!

I am new to this forum. I learned of this site on another popular travel forum that is struggling at the moment due to a change in format. There has been much discussion on that forum about which is the best travel forum and this site was mentioned. So, I thought I would check it out. I must admit, I am impressed. I recognize a few names!

A bit of info about myself and my traveling companion. My husband and I (both Canadians) lived in Cape Town in 2004-2005 and traveled extensively (all self-driving) in South Africa (Kgalagadi, Kruger, St. Lucia, Karoo National Park, Drakensberg, West Coast NP, Madikwe, Hluhluwe-Umfolozi, De Hoop, Addo, Cederberg Mountains) and Namibia (the dunes, Etosha, Okonjima) that year. We have since returned to Southern Africa twice. In 2007, we revisited South Africa and Namibia. In 2008, we visited South Africa, Namibia and Botswana (Moremi and Chobe). In August 2009, we will be self-driving through Kenya and Tanzania for 4 weeks.

As a way of introduction, I offer my trip report and photos from our self-drive through Botswana in August 2008. Enjoy! Robin

http://bert-and-bin.smugmug.com/gallery/65...418318816_Pyvk6

WOW You certainly have the Africa Bug as well. Something we all seem to suffer from.

Self drive is also my preference.

Hello Canadian Robin,

Just started reading your trip report and felt I should say thank you for looking after the Land Rover so well - we used the same vehicle (direct from Albert) in September. Would I be right that your first water crossing was between Khwai and Xakanaga? We were talking to a mobile operator who said that Britz had taken 30 vehicles out of there in September!

Nice to have another self driver on the forum.

Canadian Robin

Yes, dikdik, my husband and I have succumbed to the Africa bug - quite happily though!

Hebob - quite correct - that water crossing was between Xakanaxa and Khwai. We were very lucky to have the advice on how to approach the crossing from the couple at Nxai Pan. Otherwise, we may well have met the same fate as the German couple we rescued or the Brits that you mentioned. Yikes! Do you have a trip report of your September adventure to Botswana posted?

Happy to learn that there are other self-drivers on this forum. There are not many on the other forum that I frequent. Robin

Welcome here Robin,

I read your report previously from when you first posted it on F. It is one of my favorite reports and is one of the reasons I am now considering a self drive trip when I eventually tackle parts of Southern Africa. It won't be for 6 or 7 years as I have to deal with stuff here first. Mainly getting the school fees paid and a long promised trip to Southern Tanzania.

I hope you enjoy Safaritalk and stick around long enough to help give me confidence when I get to the serious planning stage. :o

Canadian Robin

Thank you for your kind words, Twaffle. I am enjoying this site - reading all the trip reports and getting absolutley nothing else done! I hope you will try a self-drive some day - my husband and I enjoy the freedom and independence.

I understand now why some people on F are complaining about the new format. This site is easier to use, although I am still very new at it and still trying to figure it all out. Robin

Robin, I was very frustrated here at first because I made the cardinal sin of not reading all the forum rules and helpful hints. Once I discovered "View New Posts" I started to get on top of it all. I had been missing so much. I also find the email notification great for topics I really want to follow.

Several months later and I still haven't read all the hints and rules but once I felt like I wasn't missing threads and posts I stopped the forum self education. Never read the instruction book, my golden rule! :o

Canadian Robin

Thanks for the "view new posts" tip - that's a great feature. Hopefully, I haven't broken any rules yet! :o Robin

Welcome over here, Canadian Robin!

You and Hebog shared the same vehicle? Small world.

Your exciting report will be enjoyed by many.