Return to Mapula

Guest sniktawk

Guest sniktawk

Here is our report on our recent return to Mapula Lodge.

In our view the accommodation and food at this lodge is remarkably good, and is totally different in appearance from any other lodge we have ever visited. It is also remarkably good value for money in the Green Season (and the rest of the year) at $300 p.p.p.n. (no single supplement) plus $300 for private vehicle. This no doubt explains the fact that on average during our 5 day stay there were at least 8 guests each day.

The high rainfalls in the region this year have certainly made it wetter and greener than our first visit last September. This also resulted in a reduction in game viewing, principally as a result of the inability to track through the long grass.

Viewing was quite disappointing, although we did see a nice herd of Sable with four calves, two male lions and some good birds. The Wild Dogs hid themselves away apart from the discovery of their overnight camp, we discovered them on the final morning on our way to the airfield, and managed a few good photos until they sped off after some Impala.

All in all a bit of a let down on the game viewing front, hopefully this was just down to the high water levels. We will probably return but later in the year.

Photographs are available at the following in the March 2009 galleries at the following

http://sniktawkwild.zenfolio.com/f648915692

I hope this one works!

Game Warden

Yes indeed, in pic 2 the dog looked to be enjoying him/herself. Some of the lighting looked to be quite harsh.

It certainly does look very green and lush. Love the sable antelope photos, particularly the calves.

I guess you are lucky to live close enough to visit these places on a regular basis. Coming from such a distance as I do, it is one of the worries … that my timing will be off and wildlife viewing will be less than I hoped. Especially when taking the risk of not travelling in high seasons to make it affordable.

Still, I would be happy with some wild dogs and sable along with wilderness.

madaboutcheetah

Hi Ken,

Some lovely pics you have here, indeed! I loved the sable too.....

Thanks for the comments and wonderful photos. I'll be interested in how a different time of year compares.

madaboutcheetah

That's wonderful news, Ken. He is a peach of a guide!!!

Good news for me ,too. I was last guided by him five years ago, and am booked in at Mapula in early November.

Just hope it doesn't coincide with his leave!

Jan

I've just noticed that I'm regarded as an advanced member in my profile! I hope that's nothing to do with my age!!

Not that I've told you.

Jan

Congratulations on your advancement, Jan!

Atravelynn,

I was a slow starter, but now I'll join in with any subject that I have a relevant view on. S. T. is a daily must for

me. I know that Africa is where we all began, and I'm increasingly drawn back.

Jan

• 3 weeks later...
africaaddict
For those of you who may have heard the rumours that Doctor had left or was leaving Mapula, I can confirm that this rumour is totally unfounded.

That's reassuring news Ken, as we have him booked for our 8 (yes, that's right....8) nights, 6 of which will be with a private vehicle in Sept.

My wife and I are going all out this time in Botswana, as we reached our 40th and my 50th year! So in addition to this trip we are also doing a 10 night mobile Masson camp and 3 nights in Deception Valley Lodge- CKGR. 21 nights in camp total. Most assuredly a trip report & images will follow. :lol:

Cheers

Marc