Lower Zambezi National Park, Zambia

safaribr

I have posted the text below in another topic, but decided it may be worth creating a new Trip Report just for it. The photos are in the Gallery.

I have just posted a few photos in a new album called Lower Zambezi National Park. As a matter of fact, some of the photos, especially of elephants and hippos, were taken outside of the National Park, where the Chiawa Community Park is being created.

This was my fourth trip to Southern Africa. Before I had been to the Kruger Park, the Madwike Reserve is South Africa, Okavango River Panhandle region and Central Kalahari National Park in Botswana.

Each of them was a different experience, all of them good in their own ways.

The Lower Zambezi National Park is one of the most beautiful, being framed by the Zambezi Escarpment. The park itself is stunning, with some higher dry portions and other parts closer to the river that are very green.

Lots of elephants, hippo, crocs, and lions. We also saw a beautiful female leopard in our first night out (but the photo is not very good). Apart from that, lots of beautiful impalas, kudu, buffalo, some nice zebra, warthogs, baboons, vervet monkeys, civets, mongoose (dwarf and slender), chacal and others.

The birds were also great, with the special treat of seeing a Pel's Fishing Owl standing with its legs in the water trying to get some food (the photo also is not very good, but I can post it if anyone is interested).

I will have to check your photos later but thanks for the report.

Any photo of a Pel's Fishing Owl is a good photo. You saw it hunting, how exciting!

I liked the flying monkey. Nice side striped jackal. You just got back from LZ?

Any photo of a Pel's Fishing Owl is a good photo. You saw it hunting, how exciting!

I will upload the photo of the Owl. As I said, the photo is not good (it was too dark!), but I have to say that I enjoyed seeing the Pel's for the first time.

You just got back from LZ?

Yes. I was there 2 weeks ago. Another great thing was to hear the lions through the night in the Mana Pools Park across the Zambezi River and spotting also in the Mana Pools Park some eland from the varanda of my room in Zambia.

I saw the owl photo. Did you see it at night?

I was in the Lower Zambezi in September, 2006, and one of my greatest experiences was hearing a Pell's at night, well before locating it. Talk about a haunting sound........I will never forget it.

I saw the owl photo. Did you see it at night?

Yes. I saw it at about 7 pm. Unfortunately it was dark and not very near. But seeing it was very exciting.

By the way, I like very much night safaris. It is great to see those nocturnal animals, like the civets, mongoose and hyenas. That without mentioning the thrill of making a turn in the road and finding a leopard sitting there just waiting for us.

• 3 weeks later...

Twaffle, This is outstanding! When are you going to write a book?

Thanks Dot, and welcome, but did you mean to post on this thread? B)