Lady Jane in Botswana

Lady Jane

At last! This is a short report on my very first safari. I was so excited to be invited to go to Botswana with my

very good friend Jan. I'd looked at so many of her photos in the past, and when I saw Schnauzi having such fun

on his trips to Africa I knew that I had to go too. So, I packed my camera and sunshade and set off!

We started off at DUMA TAU, a lovely camp near Zibalianja Lagoon. I was a bit shy, so I kept myself quietly in

the background. There were so many animals to see and I just loved it! I think that my favourites were the

lionesses and two cubs, which we saw a lot of. Jan liked the two packs of wild dogs, but they were just dogs to

me. I also saw two cheetahs, and two male lions, one with a milky eye which Jan said she'd seen a couple of

times before. There were plenty of elephants around, one big angry male chased us and came quite close. The

three days whizzed by and soon we were off to our next camp.

Little Kwara was our next stop, and we had a lovely tent there. Spencer was our special guide, and Jan had

been guided by him before, he's also going to be with us at Lebala in October. He worked very hard to find a

leopard for us, but no luck. We did see lions and cheetahs and a pair of wild dogs. By this time I was really

beginning to understand what this safari business is all about, and now realise what got Jan so excited in South

Africa all those years ago.

Once more we jumped into a small plane and flew all the way to JACK'S down on the Makgadigadi Pans. This

place is really Jan's home in Africa, she has been so many times, and never gets bored. I could see how

different it was to the Delta. I met Super and we went down to the salt pans for sundowners, a special part of

the safari day. A G.& T. goes down well at sunset!

The tents look very old fashioned, with lovely old furniture and interesting books to read. I certainly slept

here, the days are so long and every minute out on the vehicle is exciting because you just never know what

will appear next. I made sure that I was out with Jan and Super every day because I didn't want to miss

anything!

Raph, the owner, was there training some new young guides and he asked Jan to help. We took some of

them out with us to the National Park to follow the migration. After a delicious packed lunch I gave a lecture

on why there aren't any bears in Africa. They were so interested and had lots of questions. Jan had to act like

a new safari goer while we were driving about, and ask the guides questions, but I think that they thought

that my lecture was the best!

We all went to an interesting talk by a zebra researcher, James. In the coming months he will be studying

and following the zebras.

One morning we we went out with Peter Apps, who does research and writes books about animal behaviour.

His wife and Jan listened as he talked to the guides at the meerkat's home. I think that Jan learned a great

deal during this visit, it just shows that however old you are, and Jan is old, you are never too old to learn!

We were very lucky to see two brown hyenas at a distance one day They haven't been around for about

eighteen months, so Super was very pleased to see them. The next day we found the den, so it is all looking

good. On our last full day we went birding with the young guides. We went a long way from the camp and on

the way back we sped along the edge of the pans----exciting!

That night we had a full camp with lots of Americans. It was one of those evenings when the camp staff

come in to sing after dinner. The rest of the guests, and me, had no idea what was about to happen and

could hear singing in the distance. In they all came and sang a couple of songs in perfect harmony. They do

sing so beautifully. One of them, Dabe, a bushman, was in the front ,dancing. Well, he began to dance

over to Jan and he dragged her onto the floor. She was very reluctant, well, she is a rubbish dancer! The

funny thing was that Dabe didn't come up to her shoulders, so they really were an odd couple! Afterwards

people asked her if they had practised, as it was so good, and as they were old friends, but she said, no!

Unfortunately there are no photos, but the company enjoyed the spectacle, and Jan's face was red!

That was my last night at Jack's and we had had some wonderful days. I shall hope to be invited on more

safaris in the future.

The next day Super drove us to the plane and Ralph came to wave goodbye.

I am now completely hooked.

There are a few photos in my gallery if you are interested.

Lady Jane -

Thank you for the summary of yourfirst safari. I'm glad you had a good time, and that you are now "hooked".

Your talk about lack of bears in Africa must have been excellent. Maybe one day you'll tell us about your powers of speech.

Does Jan know that you consider her old and that you think she can't dance?

Pangolin, I am available for lectures on bears, and usually get terrific applause. You can see from the photo that

the young guides hung on my every word! Anyone who sees Jan dance knows that she's hopeless. I find it

funny, so encourage her whenever I get the chance. It was a pity that I'd left my camera in our tent.

Jane

madaboutcheetah

Lady Jane,

I will assure you, Spencer finds you and Jan a Leopard at Lebala later in the year.

Hari

Hari, yes, I'm pretty hopeful. He tried so hard at Little Kwara. I'm looking forward to Lebala,and I know that it's

one of your favourite places.

Lady Jane

Atravelynn

May you enjoy many more safaris, Lady Jane, with your dear friend, Jan!

Lady Jane, what a lovely report although I shall refrain from taking any bears with me on safari in the future as you never know what secrets they might tell! :angry:

Game Warden
Pangolin, I am available for lectures on beers

There, corrected it for you. Isn't that what you meant to say?

Pangolin, I am available for lectures on beers

There, corrected it for you. Isn't that what you meant to say?

G.W., I'm a Lady! I only drink champagne, white wine, and G&T. Beer is for the boys.

Lady Jane

madaboutcheetah

Big Thumbs Up for the Champagne!!!

Twaffle, bears have fun on safari, but it can be a risk to invite them. You must expect some revelations some

times, but I would never be really indiscreet. I would hate to be left at home in future!

Lady Jane

G.W., I'm a Lady! I only drink champagne, white wine, and G&T. Beer is for the boys.

Lady Jane

I guess bears don't know that wine is red.

Hari, champagne all round!

Pangolin, red wine gives me a headache!

madaboutcheetah
Hari, champagne all round!

Pangolin, red wine gives me a headache!

Lady Jane,

A nice glass of "bubbly" for people who have a "bubbly" attitude!!! Way to do it - yes, champagne all round!!!!

A nice glass of "bubbly" for people who have a "bubbly" attitude!!! Way to do it - yes, champagne all round!!!!

Hari, I'll drink to that!

Jan

I'll have to keep my eye on L.J.!!!