Mashatu Tented Camp, Botswana, May 2010

whorty1970

Thanks for the trip report and great photos.

Day 7 finally added :(

Anyone have any questions or comments about this trip or Mashatu, please let me know.

Thanks for reading and the kind comments.

Whorty.

PeterGermany

Thank you very much for this amazing trip report! Great sightings and pictures, esp. like the ones of the Cheetahs and elephants. Have not heard much about Mashatu so far, but seems to be prime destination. Only felt somehow sad about the lion situation, hence lot of good sightings of lions anyway.

Only felt somehow sad about the lion situation, hence lot of good sightings of lions anyway.

It is currently a bad position with the lions - as the border is open with SA and Zim, the lions either get killed by SA farmers or baited by Zim hunters. The Mashatu/Tuli rerserves know they need more male lions to remove the risk of interbreading, but the risk is they bring in new males and these then wonder across one of the borders and get killed. It is very sad.

Great report.

Nice combination of pictures and text.

Thanks for sharing your fun.

You had owl-o-mania, different species, real and false eyes. I liked the eles "playing dead" along the water. Interesting that leopards were scarce prior to your visit as Mashatu is known for sightings of these. Way to go with the cheetah--maybe there will be more of a presence of these fine creatures.

Still more to come!

What silly US guests choosing sundowners over safari action. Not too many photos of that handsome ele! Great African wildcat shot.

What silly US guests choosing sundowners over safari action. Not too many photos of that handsome ele! Great African wildcat shot.

It was a shame, but more so for the South Africa couple who were sharing their vehicle. I think I would have been a little peeved to say the least! The one US couple also 'dressed up' for dinner in the evening - I think they should have done a bit of research on this site before going ;)

Thanks for the comments on the photos. I'm not a great photographer, but I do love to capture the beautiful animals.

• 1 month later...

A great report. thanks Whorty

I couldn't help noticing the odd male lion in your photos maybe the genes are a bit distorted due to hunting.

gallery_4095_50_54581.jpg

Really enjoyable report with lovely photographs. Thank you so much.

Dik Dik - thanks for your kind comments and highlighting the flaw in my photography!! I need to think more about composition :P Very funny - LOL

Wild Dog - thanks for the kind comments.

Really enjoyed your report, thanks for sharing!