Zambia - Selection

Tassilo

Hi there,

some of my friends say, that my new gallery "Kafue-Luangwa-Zambezi" has really !! to much photos.

So for the less enthusiastic which are not willing to click through some 400 pictures I added a new gallery with some of my personal favourites:

"Best of Zambia 2010"

Cheers and enjoy

Tassilo

101122_173929_7929_canon%20eos%201dmkii_std.jpg

PS: Thanks to Tommy from Kanyemba for the awesome boat trips !

Great stuff!

Love the snake.

Great stuff!

Love the snake.

Thanks Pangolin.

Your nickname remains me, that I havn't seen any pangolin in more than 10 years travelling in the southern part of africa :( :( :( :(

Tasillo,

That 2nd leopard short is... :o

J.

Great pictures...enjoyed a lot! TFS

@Jochen & Shreyas: thank you both !

Wonderful!

Really great pics!

Why don´t you write a trip report?

For my possibly coming trip to Kafue and South Luangwa I would like to know:

- where you stayed

- your impressions of the two parks

- time of the year

- where the photos were taken

- tsetse abundance

etc ...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sverker,

thank you for your comment.

Sorry for my late reply, but I was on a trip in the Bavarian Forest National Park for one week and internet was very !!!! slow (slower than most of the satellite access in Zambia).

As a non-native-speaker english is not one of my best skills, so a trip report would be very difficult to write for me.

But to answer your questions:

Kafue: stay at Mukambi Safari Lodge

South Luangwa: stay at Kafunta River Lodge

Lower Zambezi: stay at Kanyemba Lodge

Lusaka: stay at Pioneer Camp

Time of the year: I know Kafue only from this trip in November. Rain was a bit late in 2010, so many of the migrant birds are not there. First rains came in end of october/beginning of november, not really heavy, but heavy enough that you could not drive in all parts. Most of the camps in Busanga are closed end of october.

Next time when I visit Kafue NP I will definetly go to Busanga Plains and I would recommend this to you.

From the photographic part this time of the year was not the best to photograph animals.

South Luangwa NP I know from different visits in september, november, and even march/april. Last visit the rains are really late in SLNP, so middle of november it was more end of dry season than beginning of rainy season. In 2008 in november it was raining nearly every day.

SLNP is my preferred destination, most of the pics are from SLNP.

At Lower Zambezi the park itself was closed in reasons of the heavy rains (end of november), but you could go with a boat on the zambezi. It's great for taking photos from a low angle of view and for birds.

Tsetse: only a few at SLNP, at least at the region I stay, may be more in the north ?

In Kafue more Tsetses, but not as bad as I suspect. But for Kafue you should ask one of the members with more Kafue-experience.

Cheers

Tassilo

Wonderful!

Thank you Kavey :)