Duba Boys, Duba Plains

africapurohit

I'm sure a few members here will be familiar with the legendary Duba Boys from Duba Plains. They had an extremely long and successful reign as the pride males of the Tsaro pride. When I visited in 2006 their reign was nearing its end, mainly due to their age. One of the boys was still quite healthy and active but the second was carrying an injury and was always on periphery of the pride. Sadly I never managed to get a photo of both boys together, so hopefully some other members may be able to post their photos from when the boys were in their prime.

gallery_14527_496_27688.jpg

gallery_14527_496_28804.jpg

gallery_14527_496_57757.jpg

gallery_14527_496_1815.jpg

gallery_14527_496_52190.jpg

gallery_14527_496_49772.jpg

Great memories ;)

Got several pictures of the boys together.

- a great set of José Cortes. Hava also a look at his other sets. Fantastic stuff.

Awesome shots. Johan db, what is the link to your images of the boys?

Matt

Johan, you must have some great photos of the boys together when they were in their prime. Even the healthy Duba Boy looks quite scruffy in my photos. I think one of them eventually slowed down and died from his injuries and the other one got killed by buffalo.

By the time I got there in 2010 the Duba Boys were long gone, and the Skimmer Male was the only fellow around. He has a tough life, splitting his time between two prides.

Hi Pangolin

Back in 2006, the Skimmer male was already bossing the Skimmer Pride. Here's a few photos of him with the Skimmer Pride on a buffalo kill. I was lucky enough to film this hunt and kill in HD - I'll have to edit this footage and premier it on SafariTalk :)

gallery_14527_496_39203.jpg

gallery_14527_496_62035.jpg

gallery_14527_496_85288.jpg

gallery_14527_496_14705.jpg

The Skimmer Male four years later in 2010. Still looking pretty good.

gallery_5746_288_50842.jpg

Edited by Pangolin

Lovely photo Pangolin.

Mrs. Pangolin, of course.........

Marlene & John

We have visited Duba Plains 6 times over the last 10 years.

During that time we have seen the fortunes (and misfortunes) of the Tsaro pride, first with the Duba Boys in their prime and when they were no more, and lastly with the Skimmer Male this past May.

We have taken endless videos of this pride, and particularly emotional was being only 12 feet in front of one of the Duba Boys in his prime when he was roaring for his brother. Both the vehicle and ourselves (guide included) were shaken and were so emotionally moved. We captured this event on film.

Through all of this, we have been seeing the lioness "Silver Eye"

One of our most amusing experiences, which we captured on film, was when the 18 cubs were being "coaxed" by one of the lionesses to take their first swim, one moonlit evening. Unfortunately, all of the cubs were killed, some say by one of the grandmothers.

Even though the Duba Boys are no more, we always return to Duba Plains.

Welcome to Safaritalk: look forward to reading more of your input, and seeing some of those videos.

Matt

I was told that Silver Eye has been the culprit in recent years.....

• 4 years later...
Game Warden

Perhaps other members have images of the Duba Boys they'd like to share?