SAMBURU, MAASAI MARA, MOMBASA

samburumags

Hi SM

Thanks for sharing. Great pics and report. Hope we have similar luck when we go in June - the missus loves cubs!!

I keep telling myself that I should go back to some of the places I've loved, but never do. Next time when I'm dithering, I'll read your reports and Jan's reports and Hari's reports, Mags. Very heartwarming.

What is it about Samburu that makes it so special in your eyes? I have never been, so would love to read your thoughts about the park, the wildlife and the people. Does it draw you to it more than the Mara?

Sangeeta, Samburu was my very first experience of Africa in 2000. I have loved it ever since. Maybe it has something to do with the landscape which, in my opinion, is much more varied then the Maasai Mara, there are areas which are almost Jurassic. Each location has its own delights of course and animals vary from place to place, but if I could choose where to live from now to eternity it would be in Samburu.

SAMBURU was my first african game park, it together with tsavo I find to have wonderfully wild scenery

Who is this woman with the cherries in her cocktail leading the Jambo Bwana chorus around the dining room?

I believe you about the birds and the Appaloosas. Your product placement of Tony Park books is ingenious.

That scar on the lioness looks nasty. Goes to show what tough creatures they are and their amazing recuperative powers. The wildes and the balloon is a Kenya postcard.

If you enlarge the photo of the possibly pregnant cheetah does it show her nipples? If they are pronounced that might provide a clue.

We're all going to be trying underwater sunsets now if our cameras allow.

You managed another fantastic trip and report and you're developing a celebrity status! What plans did the brain engage during the London fog for 2013?

Thoroughly enjoyed your humourous report and photos so thanks for taking the time!

Samburu is also my favourite place and I so hope to make it back there some day.

I had a similar situation at a rhino sighting in the Crater with vehicles jockeying for a better spot while blocking others . It really puts a damper on the experience for everyone. Didn't those vehicles look to be too close to the leopard?? Glad to hear at least some were fined.

Will have to check out the Tony Parks books (still a newbie with all this safari stuff) as Zimbabwe is a strong contender for my 2nd safari.

One vehicle almost ran over the leopard's tail! Glad to have you on the forum and good luck with the books :rolleyes:

I've just been reading your report, and loving it! I know that I haven't done mine yet but seem to be going over

the same ground each time and think that people won't be interested. I have spent many weeks over the years at the

Serena Beach Hotel after safaris in Kenya. In the 70's we would do a safari and then a week at the beach when my

children were teenagers. It was always a good place to spend Christmas and New Year, but we never saw such huge

amounts of rain!

I've been expecting to have G.W. after me and making me feel guilty!

You should feel guilty! I am glad you enjoyed my report. If only I could take photos like some other STers gosh do I get jealous :angry: Yes I thought it would be lovely to end the trip at the Serena but I should have stayed in the bush with the animals. Hopefully in 2013 when I hope to return I will avoid the sea and stick to the rivers and the camp pools. Come on lets have that report :rolleyes:

Live and learn Samburumags. What's going on in 2012 for you, since you mention your next safari is 2013? Travel somewhere else or reading Tony Park books and saving up?

Taking other half back to Greece our old stomping ground and at our age probably a farewell visit (dont cry!! but you never know) With overnight stays in London etc will probably cost almost as much as a safari, but good to see old friends etc and eat cold Greek food and drink Mataxa brandy etc etc ad nauseum!! I cant keep going away without taking OH he already thinks I have a Kenyan lover ( I wish!!!! :lol: )

Edited by samburumags