Occasional observations from the field

twaffle

This might be my only time with wifi and coverage because I'm having all sorts of trouble getting the sim to work.

3am, still in my Nairobi hotel and would be asleep if some other inmates weren't having a grand old time just below my window. Would it be un Australian or even against the principles of a good and loyal Safaritalk member to tip a bucket of water over their heads from a small height? Some advice on this matter would be gratefully received :P

I am beginning to think that airlines should start to hand out flight etiquette cards before someone behaves in a decidedly unpleasant manner on one of these 14 hour legs.

Why do some people have to sniff and hawk in public without a thought of their fellow travelers comfort? Disgusting.

Any ideas on an equally unpleasant comeback to use on my return flights?

There was an interesting change in how I felt when landing in Nairobi. Not the usual excitement, rather a detached and comfortable feeling of having arrived. Perhaps I've come here to Kenya too many times in the last few years and it is starting to feel normal. But that should never be, normal can't cost this much in time and money. I'm content to be here where I feel so much at home.

Interesting change on the mix of passengers on my flight. It has gone from a majority mix of Kenyan/Indian/Caucasian a few years ago to this flight which would have been around 30% Chinese/Korean (I was checking out passports ... Entertainment was slow!). Some looked like business travelers but some looked like tourists. Shame that I couldn't chat to them about wildlife conservation but we had a bit of a language barrier.

I wonder if the various airlines could broadcast a general conservation message on all flights to Africa, right after the safety briefing. That's something for Matt to work on!! :o

3, 5 and 11 are the numbers of rows of seats between me and the nearest exit.

The construction on the additions to the Nairobi airport or coming along nicely, but parking is a nightmare.

Maybe I'll be able to report on something more safari orientated later today. That is if I get any sleep, useless tourists. :angry:

Great to hear you've landed safe and sound in Nairobi and I'll be watching with much interest for suggestions about a "sniff & hawk" come back. Sheesh I hate that!!! Would asking, with a disgusted look on your face, if they need a tissue work?

Love your idea about the airlines showing an animal conservation film on all flights into Africa. Excellent!

hmmm it must be quite warm in Nairobi right about now so those raucous tourists might find a bit of cold water refreshing! :P

Thank you for your observations on flying primates, a unique species.

Kath, I'm a bit daunted by asking them, although I'm made suggestions in a voice that they might hear. Didn't need the water, everyone went about 3.30 am.

Lyn, all the flying primates behaved themselves apart from the sniffing ones. It was quite interesting seeing all the different books people were reading, especially the backwards ones.

Perfect sunrise over the airport.

In Thailand it is considered bad manners and rather disgusting to blow your nose, and much more polite to sniff and hawk. Very similar in some other Asian countries I would imagine - the etiquette of dealing with excess mucus! :rolleyes:

Perhaps if you offered them a tissue, they would offer back a spitoon, twaffle? :lol:

Hope to see you soon! Get the sim working, you have my number!

That was a hilarious observation, Paul! Reminds me of my grandmother in India who could never get over those 'firangis' who blew their noses into a hanky and then wrapped it all up neatly and put it back into their pockets, like it was "some precious object" she would say!!

And I have an aunt whose arranged marriage was cancelled because there wasn't a spitoon to be found in the fiance's house!

Now back to Twaffle :) Sorry, Twaffle, couldn't resist those stories.

Now back to Twaffle :) Sorry, Twaffle, couldn't resist those stories.

Wait, one more!

We were at a restaurant with pretty much the whole family, and my brother (then a little kid) blew his nose.

Grandma; "got a cold, dear?"

Brother; "yes, but it's all loosening up."

...and then shows the contents of his hankie to the whole table. "See?"

:rolleyes:

I suppose that's why we love to travel because it opens our minds. Just some things are hard to overcome. Noise cancelling headphones hold the key.

TZ, have just arrived at Shangazi House. Have yet to get organised. Decided to leave the larks for a time when they can be a focus as we took some time at the border. :rolleyes:

Our driver has to attend to 'matters' at the Arusha office so we are carless but tomorrow we are in the park early and back to Shangazi in the afternoon so as soon as I find that number I'll try and call. None of the local sim cards appear to work. I need the IT guru Jochen here to help.

Soft drink bottles are 300ml in Kenya but 350ml in Tanzania.

Just thought you should know.

Firangis! Nice comparison, Sangeeta.

Hope you got your sleep, Twaffle, and not too many sinus-related dreams.

I've had internet issues (recurring theme out here!) but my number is [no longer online!] if you get this. Karibu Tanzania! Pole for border issues - not unusual I'm afraid... If someone texts or buzzes me I'll call back!

Edited by TZBirder

Twaffle, you've got me hooked from the first sniff...(eww..hate that) and will be following your travels in TZ with great envy....If someone is heading to

the Serengeti, I am happy it is you!

TZ, pole sana. I can't get my sim to work but intended to ring from the lodge this afternoon. But I had the best time in Arusha NP and we didn't get back until 5 so far too late. Forgive me. I never leave enough time to meet people, but I didn't know before booking that I should have allowed extra time. Aargh! :(

Tourists apparently don't visit Arusha NP at gate opening. Also, our Arusha accommodation had never been asked to provide breakfasts for guests visiting the park before. So we eventually trundled up to the gate a little later than intended, at around 6.40am but had to wait for officials to get organised. We finally drove into the park just after 7am and had the place to ourselves until around 10am. Well, that was when we saw the first vehicles. Fun day, but more of that in my trip report.

Looking forward to the trip report but in the meantime don't leave us hanging.... keep the tid bits coming.

Zipped into the much maligned Lake Manyara NP on the way to Ngorongoro, interesting to say the least. So two small parks so far, low expectations but very happy with what we saw. Wish I could post a photo but it is all too hard. Huge surprise on the road to the lodge but don't want to spoil my trip report. Suffice to say that at this stage I won't have to fabricate anything. :D

Sorry to miss you the other day - but glad you managed the full day in Arusha NP, it's definitely one of my favourite places to hang out! I'll look forward to the full report... (Or if you pass back through Arusha, let me know!)

• 4 weeks later...

TZ, I've only just seen this and I do feel awful about not being able to spare the time to visit. I'm utterly hopeless you know, when planning as I always try to fit too much in.

Arusha NP is somewhere I would be happy to spend a couple of days in, despite what people seem to say and think. Beautiful.