Rhino Camp for Christmas

Guest Nappa

I was not sure where to post this As I am still editing my trip report but I thought you would like to see these two clips.

For those that don't know Rhino Safari Camp, Mvuru a female Black Rhino was bred at Imire ranch & released into the wild in a designated Rhino conservation area.

Unfortunately ? She still enjoys human contact & visits Rhino camp every couple of weeks.

Her first calf, a male, is now living alone in the park, he has been seen by the foot patrols with Mvuru & her second calf & also with his father.

I have been very lucky & I have had to good fortune to meet up with her each visit.

She was dehorned in May prior to the birth of her female calf.

Clip 2 is from camera traps placed on the main path that links the Boma to the individual guest houses.

For privacy reasons I informed guests at the camp of the cameras & offered to remove them if required.

The video tells the story!

I think that you could have done without the last couple of minutes. I was rather hoping that something large would

jump out.

I think that you could have done without the last couple of minutes. I was rather hoping that something large would

jump out.

My video's are originally for my own memories & not specifically edited for others I post to YouTube for friends to see what I've been up to

In this case the playing up to the camera traps was all part of the fun of Christmas by a family from Zimbabwe, Granny, a Botanist Her son, a Geologist, his family & her daughter who works in Hong Kong.

I learn't a lot from them & i'm glad to say they had a great spirit of fun when in camp.

Thank you for sharing your Christmas with us. I have been to Rhino but not at that time of the year.

The rhino encounter was pretty special: it seemed that she was enjoying the old familiar scent of a human being. Let's hope they can keep her safe. So far so good

Thanks fro sharing Nappa. We had a great time at the camp too. We didn't get to see Mvuru, but the elephants were always there.

Where was the water level while you were there. Could you drive on and off the island?

Thanks fro sharing Nappa. We had a great time at the camp too. We didn't get to see Mvuru, but the elephants were always there.

Where was the water level while you were there. Could you drive on and off the island?

The water was fairly low this visit, I have seen it lower & a couple of years back it was very high almost to the camp line, the camp fire had to be moved but the causeway was still well clear.

BTW - I am impressed at the camera traps. My old camera traps are rather outdated now. At the moment I have them installed to see to try and catch a cable thief. They are too bulky and big to take with on holiday.

BTW - I am impressed at the camera traps. My old camera traps are rather outdated now. At the moment I have them installed to see to try and catch a cable thief. They are too bulky and big to take with on holiday.

A few years back when I first started with the cameras I picked your brains here on SafariTalk, Dikdik, when I bought my first one.

And I've been trying to catch an Aardvark ever since!!smile.gif

Nothing available in the UK at that time so I set up a small business selling them here!

Never makes money but I do have a number of "Demo Cameras" cool.gif

You may like this, I'm not sure where to post video's as most are not trip reports. I hope Matt will point me the right way if I'm in the wrong!

What an up close and personal encounter. First the foot and then the camera. Great rhino breathing background "music."

• 4 weeks later...

Enjoyed the videos, gives a nice feel of the places you visited.