Botswana: Kwando Concessions Jan. 2012

ice

As you review your photos and have time to think about your trip and to put in perspective with your other Africa trips, you may find your opinion of it all improves. I'm sure there were some unique moments or sights that have not happened before. For those of us lucky enough to have numerous safaris under our belts, there may be just a few truly stellar moments from each trip. The remaining time is more soaking up the general on safari atmosphere.

Reading Stokeygirl's comment, "if the dogs hadn't been around it could have been dire." That's what I was thinking as I read the report. And I was reminded of the Mombo guide who told us about a 2 week stretch of 0 cats for Mombo guests.

Anyway, thanks for your comments, ice, and for putting them in financial perspective. Appreciate it.

A very interesting report and I also appreciate it and your point of view.

Since it was the rainy season, I reckon you're whingeing a little bit ;) but that's your right and I can relate to some of your experiences. Thanks for this - it was a good read - and as a bonus, just the right length given that I have little free time today! :D

madaboutcheetah

Those cheetah boys can walk ...... If you don't find them in a couple of game drives, just throw your hands up!!!!

In august last year, I spent my entire safari between lagoon and lebala with the hope to spend my time with them entirely ..... This strategy worked the previous august. What happens ...... We find them on our second to last day (they were in inaccessible woodlands the entire time. That's where they are originally from during the reign of the blood brothers) ....... This just emphasises the fact that game viewing is all luck of the draw. Applies more in the linyanti certainly!!!!! That's why many of us are addicted to safaris?

That bug in the ear is odd. Good thing it did not cause more of a problem. Your 4:30 am starts are very impressive. Good thing you saw wild dogs a couple of times, at least. In the instance when you stopped for sundowners instead of following the dogs, was that what the majority of people wanted in the vehicle? How did that decision come about?

Were the Scottish/Welsh couple good sports? All the Scotts I've ever run into anywhere were great fun. Nice going with the roan!

Thanks for the comments and specifics. Hope you can post some more photos. Nice shots of the dogs.

I'm not sure if that (the sundowner) was what the majority wanted but none of them said "no, let's stay with the dogs" - I assume we all relied an Carlos' expertise

yeah, they were to be around with - although I hardly understood a word of what they saying - of all the other guest I travelled with on this trip, they were (Linda excluded) the most enjoyable

Thanks for the report. Can see where you are coming from wrt the experiences you had. Do you think in retrospect it might have been better to spend 10 days in Kwara and take one's chances with the dogs? You mentioned you regretted the switch (to 4 days Kwara in lieu of 10 days Lebala/Lagoon) so wondering why.

Any further comments on water levels and how much they restricted the drives?

I regretted it because had I not done it I would have seen the dogs killing ostrich chicks - of course, afterwards we are always smarter...but not knowing what I'd see it was the right thing to do - just nor much luck with the sightings

high water levels we only experienced while searching for cheetah at the western side of the Kwara concession - of course I don't know if there was a place we never went because of high water levels; however I do have a feeling we pretty much covered the entire concession

thanks for all of your comments - in fact I was rather expecting to be dissed, however, they were quite encouraging so I'd like to try and sum my overall feelings up once more

I certainly don't regret this trip, quite the opposite: being in such a remote place (it was the first time in the 8 1/2 years since my daughter's birth that I did not at least speak once a day with her) was a very special experience, as was the tracking and offroad driving experience...following the leopards and dogs through the thickets was amazing and worth the money alone

on the other hand stokeygirl has nailed it down: had I not seen the dogs, I would have regretted paying all this money so it was a "narrow escape"

my days in Lagoon were on par with the days at Kwara but only because I spent so much time with the dogs - personally, Bate was my favourite guide (I did not spend enough time with Spencer to want to "rate" him but I got a sense why a lot of people obviously specifially ask for him as a guide)

the lion sightings at kwara were good but not exceptional - pretty much all they did was sleep and sleeping lions in Kwando just look sleeping lions anywhere else in Africa; however, in many places they are easier (and in bigger numbers) to find

the two leopard sightings were excellent - but once again, I've had excellent leopard sightings in other parks as well, in 2006 in the Mara, there was a pride of lions eating from a buffalo carcass while less than a 100 m away a female leopard sat in a tree with her two cubs; last year in Kruger I spent almost an hour (most of it with no other cars) with a leopard rolling himself in elephant dung

so in the end it all comes down to the dogs - I've asked Carlos what the longest period was for which they did not see any dogs...his answer was "two months"! so I guess I was lucky to see them twice

I'd certainly return if dry season prices were like green season prices or if green season prices were half of what they are now - but being as it is, I'm not sure

Were the Scottish/Welsh couple good sports? All the Scotts I've ever run into anywhere were great fun. Nice going with the roan!

Thanks for the comments and specifics. Hope you can post some more photos. Nice shots of the dogs.

yeah, they were to be around with - although I hardly understood a word of what they saying - of all the other guest I travelled with on this trip, they were (Linda excluded) the most enjoyable

We share a language, but not really. Glad you enjoyed the Scottish visitors.Thanks for all your comments and observations, ice.

Edited by Atravelynn

I've only just had time to finish this report. Very interesting observations, thanks Ice.