Botswana - Moremi and Khwai

Vlad the Impala

So glad you finished this, really enjoyable. Would agree with Sangeeta ... does it get any better?

Where to next?

I spent a quiet afternoon reading this trip report in between various household chores. It sounds - and looks - as though you had an excellent time. Despite your disclaimer, your narrative skills are certainly up to snuff. I find it just as enjoyable to read about trips as to see the pictures, and I agree with you that sometimes it's nicer to simply be present for a wildlife encounter and really enjoy it, rather than trying to take pictures in poor light. Thanks for a great read.

Hi Vlad and thanks for the report. Makes it even more exciting to plan for our self drive in Moremi etc next year. Can you tell me the camera settings, lense used etc for the beautiful starry sky photograph. I would love to try to get the same if I can. Pen

Uh_oh busted

Just absolutely wonderful. Love the starry sky shot. Going nuts as we leave day after tomorrow for Zimbabwe.....

Back with the end of the report and a great new profile pic.

Great report - enjoyed it very much. You saw some remarkable things and have the pictures to prove it - glad you shared the little things as much as the "big".

Vlad the Impala

Thanks for all the comments everyone, much appreciated.

Twaffle - Re: where to next - that's always the big question! I'm actually going to take some time out next year and do some extended travelling around New Zealand, Australia and parts of Asia, so Africa will need to take a back seat for a while. Once back, Namibia is looking like a distinct possibility, and perhaps another trip with my Dad - maybe to East Africa or Zambia.

Penolva - I've looked back at the exif data for the photo of the stars, and I used a 17mm lens, an ISO of 3200, 105 seconds at f4.5. With a tripod I would have been able to go for a far longer exposure so would have used a much smaller aperture and lower ISO to get more sharpness and detail. Hope you enjoy your trip to Moremi as much as we did!

Uh_oh busted - hope you have a great time in Zimbabwe, it's top of my want list of future destinations at the moment. I look forward to seeing the trip report.

It was nice to become reacquainted with the aardwolf that started things off. Lion and calf--what a shot! Your single hippo shot captures the mischief in his eye very well, not to mention those sizeable tusks. Great perspective on the first water lily shot. I assume before you ate it. You're very adventurous in the gastronomic aspects of your safari.

You're also a pioneer of the stick wedgie technique by the looks of the starry night shot! Not sure if that's something to be proud of or to deny. Can't argue with the results, though.

Glad you finished the report. You are now free to travel again.

Edited by Atravelynn

Is that avatar photo of you a new one? Are you spraying iar freshener? If that's you? There is a story here that you must not deny us!

Vlad the Impala

Is that avatar photo of you a new one? Are you spraying iar freshener? If that's you? There is a story here that you must not deny us!

No, it's not me. It's a photo from a TV show. Thought it was about time I had an avatar, and went for something a bit different. :)

No, it's not me. It's a photo from a TV show. Thought it was about time I had an avatar, and went for something a bit different. :)

You succeeded.

Is that the guy from Big Bang Theory?

Vlad the Impala

That's the one! Sheldon Cooper - legend.

Great report!

Thanks for sharing.

madaboutcheetah

That's the one! Sheldon Cooper - legend.

Have you seen the episode with Lalitha Gupta? That's from a couple of seasons ago - quite one of the funniest episodes to date!

Edited by madaboutcheetah

Vlad the Impala

Yes! I've seen that one. Doesn't she go on a date with Raj, but he ends up getting drunk and offensive?

madaboutcheetah

Yup, that's the one! She leaves with Sheldon, after Raj gets obnoxious and offensive....

I'm following you regarding Moremi and Khwai, but Raj, Sheldon, and Lalitha Gupta leave me clueless. Now drunk and offensive, ok, I can relate to that.

• 4 weeks later...

Being a TBBT, safari and Botswana fan, I can relate to them all :D

• 4 weeks later...
Botswana Footprints

How lovely Vlad,

So glad you enjoyed Botswana. The wattled crane is a great sighting and honeybadger is elusive :)