SaFaRi InDiA

Brian's Art for Animals

Brian's Art for Animals

This video acts as a prequel to my trip in hopes that it gives you an idea on how tigers can mean so much to me.

I spent 9 drives in Tala Zone in Bandhavgarh, this past March and the video series will cover each drive.

The trip was through Wild World India and after the 15 hour flight on Air India I was ready to finally see wild tigers. I don't want to explain much as not a lot is featured in this video other than my past. I did enjopy the flight as I had heard horror stories about Air India, but it was ok..the 15 hours from Chicago to Delhi goes by if you watch movies and zone out.

Brian - thank you so much for posting such a personal story. It drew me right in.

Great video Brian, ...quite engaging.

Look forward to more!

As you know Brian, I just love your video presentations and this one is a great intro for the safari to come. Can't wait.

madaboutcheetah

Thanks so much, Brian .... brilliant stuff!!! and that's an amazing story of how one finds their calling in life ......... Can hardly wait to see your presentation from the trip to India. Good news that Air India didn't live upto their reputation -

kittykat23uk

What a touching video! Thanks you for posting, so sad about Enshalla though. :(

Edited by kittykat23uk

Super LEEDS

Great start, Brian. Can't wait for the rest! So politely get a move on :lol:

We visited Tampa a few years ago but were unfortunate to miss out on a visit to the Big Cat Rescue - I would have been interested to determine what kind of 'joint' it really was, if you don't mind me saying, as there are a few places that are marketed similarly. From your video and several others on YouTube, the sanctuary really does seem to make a positive impact on the lives of the 'retirees'.

Brian's Art for Animals

Thanks for all the kind words! It means a lot since this was indeed a personal type video. I am working on The first Safari India video, but I am also trying to do some spring cleaning in the condo (wife has a new rule that when I buy stuff (records, dvd's) I should sell back an equal amount to make room. Oh well :)

Enshalla was a beautiful girl, and yes Big Cat Rescue is a good place for cats, some don't like how commercial the sanctuary is but from what I can tell they still are doing great work to provide a decent home to those that have no where else to go along with educating the public about the various situations these cats like tigers live here in the US. But yes, no matter what kind of animal place you visit always look into them, as there are some really poor places out there that try to pass off as something good for animals.

Brian's Art for Animals

oh yeah, as for my calling..well i sure would have loved to be a rich rock star! I could have owned a house near Lewa in Kenya and also a place in India and also marry Natalie Portman and live in a big house with plenty of room for records and dvs..oh well. I will dream on :)

Cheers.

Edited by Brian's Art for Animals

I enjoyed your video/ personal connection with the cats. Looking forward to your India trip.

Thanks for sharing,

Tracker

PS who is Natalie Portman

Brian's Art for Animals

Natalie Portman is a 30 yr old Jerusalem born actress (mostly known for playing the Queen in the 3 most recent Star Wars films) who has appeared recently in THOR, BLACK SWAN, and was in V for Vendetta..a celebrity crush I have had for a while.

I think my crush is better as my wife likes Justin Timberlake :) anyways..back to wildlife talk. I hope to have the first episode up next week sometime.

Game Warden

Yes, we don't want to know about your wildlife... Who is Justin Timberlake ;)

Brian's Art for Animals

Finally... well I probably pronounced everything wrong in the video, but oh well. I said world wide india instead of WILD WORLD INDIA. (i guess from all those wide world of sports episodes in my head..who knows.) They were great and I would suggest to anyone to use them. This was my first trip so the luxury side was a little higher than my norm. Both the Amarya Haveli in Delhi and The Retreat in Agra were excellent with very nice staff. What can one say about the Taj Mahal. amazing. And the sloth bear rescue facility was top notch for those animals. I hope they do start letting people post photos as I know the internet exposure helps Sheldricks in Kenya a lot. The bears go from having a chain driving through their noses to perform a "dance" to being rescued and having the chance to live out their life with some kind of dignity and welfare. The Chambal river was interesting and the two croc species there are well worth the trip. I am not even a big reptile person, but I still had a great time cruising around the river. The Chambal river is also home to those rare pink dolphins. We did see a dead one floating at the end of our boat ride, but I didn't include that in the video. And the traffic in India is something video can't do justice to. With all the editing and re watching my footage, I can't wait to go back again..but we've only just begun...

I didn't know that the gharial grew so large. Lovely photos of the Taj Mahal. Looking forward to the train trip.

Game Warden

Another great video presentation, both travelogue and educational at the same time. Did someone mention trains? Hope you had a buffet car on yours...

Totally loving it, Brian! True, the traffic in India is quite hectic, but it's amazing to see that it all works out without as many casualties of both man and machine, as one may imagine :)

Nice sightings of the shy Gharial. Wish we had stricter laws to help conserving them.

Atravelynn

I can understand Natalie Portman. But Justin Timberlake?! Really? Your title font is very cool. Looking forward to reliving India with the videos tomorrow.

"the luxury side was a little higher"--a free upgrade no less, that's luxury at it's best.

It is sometimes hard for me to believe that India has 1.2 billion people! Had a friend over for lunch today and was showing her your video. Turns out that the turquoise room hotel belongs to her uncle and she has also stayed in that exact room or something very similar. How crazy is that?

Great gharial sightings. You saw the same human-wildlife proximity in India as I did.

Brian's Art for Animals

I loved that turquoise room. It was a perfect location to finally rest after the flight, and get caught up on some world news. The gharial was very interesting to see and I was glad to come away from a few pictures and minutes of video that wasn't too blurry due to the boat shaking, and my limited skills behind the camera. Part 2 will indeed feature the train- minus the buffet car :)

Atravelynn

Air India...the 15 hours from Chicago to Delhi goes by if you watch movies and zone out.

Or watch the Bollywood Dancing Videos!

Your biography and flight video were a great intro.

Atravelynn

I laughed out loud at your own hand breaking, not normally a humorous subject. Thank you for the boat ride on the Chambal River again. You really caught the diverse uses of the river by humans and other creatures.

The sloth bear clip is my favorite!

Brian's Art for Animals

After seeing the Tomb with its resident Rhesus Monkeys in Agra, we took of to take a 10 hour train ride and then a 2 hour drive to Tiger Lagoon Resort which is about 10-15 minutes from the Tala Zone gates for Bandhavgarh National Park. Come along on my first of 9 safari drives. Right away I noticed some differences from African Safari drives. One being the line up of jeeps waiting for the gates to open for the 3 hour pm drive. Second, the fact that the guides know you are here for tigers, so if you want to stop for other animals, you have to ask. And third, the strict routes you are allowed to drive on.

Namaste, Brian. The suspense is building... :)

The monkey business was fun too!

Atravelynn

Loved those funny monkeys.

I recognize the Little Green Bee Eaters! And Mr. Tall Antlers Sambur Deer.

"The mission is clear." Good description of Bandhavgarh tiger hunting. Without spoiling the ending, it was mission accomplished. Your intro tiger shots indicate it was as well.

• 2 weeks later...
Brian's Art for Animals

On only my second drive in Bandhavgarh I saw 8 tigers (2 mother tigers with 3 cubs each). One was one eyed Kankati and the other whos territory is next to hers was Banbayee. I was so excited I kept forgetting to breathe as well as hold the camera steady. We also saw some birds and bees, but really nothing compares to a tiger :)

As well documented here and on other sites her eye was lost in a territory fight in which she killed and consumed some of the losing female tiger. Best of luck to both mothers as India and Bandhavgarh needs all the tigers it can get. I hope they will remain protected throughout their lives.