Super LEEDS in Kenya 2012

Super LEEDS

View Autosave? I have to remember that - brings reports back from the dead - although I think some of my posts are honestly better off lost...

Not your report though Leeds - more happy reading and viewing.

Did you ask them why it is Royal? I can't say I have lost sleep over it but I can't even guess what it could be in Kenya.

Good point, pault. I never asked. I'm guessing someone had to use that title.

Patrick did say on arriving, "this place really is Royal". Suppose I should have asked him what he meant but I guess is how they perceive their offerings to guests - drives, walks, food etc. Other than that, the place is owned by a Greek father and son from New York - George sr and jr - so I can't see any real, obvious Royal links. There were no pictures of the Queen there either :P

• 2 weeks later...

Having just arrived on this forum I've read the whole TR in one go. Great stuff SL and humorous.

That shot of the 40 vans though shakes my confidence in returning to Kenya. Someone please tell me that's not normal.

But then I've also just read .... recent TR with many sightings and often no other vehicles. Someone please tell me that is normal.

Rob

Thanks, graynomad! I've not finished yet and maybe our experiences at Royal Mara in the Mara North Conservancy will be easier for you.

I'm afraid it was that bad - on a few occasions with lions and cheetah, and this was the 'quiet', low season too. However, this was the Mara (main), the conservancies are better.

I looked at the MNC website but there's no mention of camping. I know you've asked about the Mara Triangle and I take it you've been through all the info on there.

maybe our experiences at Royal Mara in the Mara North Conservancy will be easier for you.

I hope so :)

I know you've asked about the Mara Triangle and I take it you've been through all the info on there.

Pretty much. Camping is allowed for either $40 or $30pppn depending on the camp type, plus the cost of guards (about $44 but spread over the group). Many of the campsites are right on the river.

I spent half of last night scanning every inch of the triangle on Google earth, I tagged all the campsites and crossing sites and think I'm getting a good feel for the place. Last time I was in the Keekorok/Talek area but this time somehow the triangle seems right. Maybe it's because it's further away from the city and I (probably naively) think that will reduce the people numbers.

Rob

Edited by graynomad

Thanks ..... I figured that may be the case but I'm also happy with the public campsites. They aren't as well situated in the sense of being on the river but they do allow a more ad-hoc approach and unless I delay for a year there's no way I'll be in a position to book in time for the other sites.

The "public" sites are also nice and central which may be good for someone who doesn't know the lay of the land.

Anyway I'll start my own thread about this soon, I don't want to derail this one any more.

Rob