Unusual Kenya trip

lone wolf

I have just returned from a short trip to Kenya.I went to visit some relatives in the north and while i was there i went to stay with a friend in Kibera.Now Kibera is not the usual place tourists would visit,it is one of if not the biggest slum area in Nairobi.Thousands of tin shacks are crowded together and it is one of the most disgusting places i have ever seen.My friend moved there from Nanyuki to find work in Nairobi,he did infact get a job but that didn't last long,he now goes about on a bike looking for odd jobs but mostly sits at home,his three kids have been sent home from school because he cant afford the school fees.George wont allow his children outside for fear they will join other youngsters in stealing and glue sniffing.It soon got round that Mzungu were about and we were followed about by boys wanting money and young girls offering sex.The second night we were there some one came into the house and stole some of our belongings,George was heartbroken about that.It is hard to imagine that in this modern era such places excist.

This is such a sad story and surely shows the side of Kenya/Africa that many of us, as tourists, rarely see or hear about in reality. I feel particularly for your friend George who was only trying to do his best for his family in moving from Nanyuki, and it has not worked the way he hoped.

I hope the other part of your trip in the North was more satisfactory

samburumags

How brave of you to stay in Kibera and what a sad story regarding your friend, It is the most awful place I have ever seen and I cannot imagine how any government can allow it to continue.

How brave of you to stay in Kibera and what a sad story regarding your friend, It is the most awful place I have ever seen and I cannot imagine how any government can allow it to continue.

Yes it is indead a sad place,it was not one of my most pleasurable trips,but away from Kibera the rest of our stay was great.

Thanks for the info. There are so many people like George and his family that are easy to overlook. Thank you for the reminder. I'll be thinking about your account and George and his family for a long time.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. There are so many people like George and his family that are easy to overlook. Thank you for the reminder. I'll be thinking about your account and George and his family for a long time.

Thank you,George is a very proud man and does his best to support his family.In this modern age people shouldn't have to live like this.