Back from a family safari in Tanzania

Safaridude

Back from a great safari with my family and another family.

We hit Natron, northern Serengeti, Katavi and Mahale. Overall, a great family experience. Game viewing overall was only average (we were unlucky with certain sightings being very far away and such), but that's bound to happen when you've been on as many trips as I have.

Natron is sheer beauty. Went to the lake itself to view flamingoes. The migration at Serengeti was light and scattered (an unusual year)... though at one point we were amidst probaby 10,000 wildebeests... and at that moment, nothing looks "light". At Katavi, we had great lion, elephant, hippo and crocodile sightings, but plains game always seemed to be 500 meters away (not that they were skittish necessarily). Had incredible chimp action at Mahale. The famous "M" group of chimps were in turmoil as a female was in oestrus and the top males are jockeying for alpha male position.

Will report in full soon.

I forgot to mention that on my flight from Kilimanjaro to Amsterdam, I sat next to Mosquito (not a mosquito, but "Mosquito" the ST member). Mosquito told me that Twaffle offered great tips about his trip that were very helpful. Small world! Brushes with ST members on safari continue...

Good to have you back Safaridude.

Welcome back Safaridude. Also waiting for your Trip report or we could just have another GTG and you could give it in person!

Safaritalk - making the world smaller one safari at a time :)

Welcome back, Safaridude! Who got the bugsuit in Katavi?

miguelkatavi

Hi Safaridude, next year I'll visit chada & Greystoke could you show us pictures of these camps? I'm waiting your answer and your full report :). Miguel

africapurohit

Welcome back Safaridude. Eagerly awaiting your detailed thoughts and views, especially regarding Katavi.

And I am eagerly awaiting a photo of the entire bugsuit clad Safaridude clan in Katavi :lol:

Hi Safaridude, next year I'll visit chada & Greystoke could you show us pictures of these camps? I'm waiting your answer and your full report :). Miguel

Will do... though I don't have any of Chada Katavi...

Mosquito says it was wonderful and a coincidence to be sitting next to the Safari Dude and clan. What a small world it can be?

Do want to see the bugsuits though?

Welcome back! Especially looking forward to hearing about Natron.

Mosquito says it was wonderful and a coincidence to be sitting next to the Safari Dude and clan. What a small world it can be?

Do want to see the bugsuits though?

Apparently the bugsuits don't repel mosquitos <_<

Not sure if Safaridude will respond before we leave, but how were the tsetses in Katavi?

Hi Orca Fan,

The tsetses were not bad. As you know, they are basically absent out on the open plains. The main road at Katavi goes through some thick woodland, but TANAPA has put up some tsetse traps. I brought a bug suit, but I didn't wear it half the time.

Edited by Safaridude

Thanks SD., that will put my wife at ease somewhat.

Hi Orca Fan,

The tsetses were not bad. As you know, they are basically absent out on the open plains. The main road at Katavi goes through some thick woodland, but TANAPA has put up some tsetse traps. I brought a bug suit, but I didn't wear it half the time.

Oh c'mon SD, show us a picture of the bugsuit. :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: