Tanzania: Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Ruaha and The Selous!

Guest kuduuu

Good to hear you saw wild dogs in Ruaha. I've been twice, once for 8 days in June this year, and once in Aug 2010 for 4 days, and I haven't seen dogs there. However the timing of your trip fits with what the guides told me, that Dec/Jan/Feb/March is the best time for dogs, but they hardly ever see them in the peak dry season (Jun-Oct). They think it's because at that time the lion activity in the central section of the park near the river is too much, and so the dogs stay away- they probably den at that time, and they make sure they den well away from the lions.

BlueLizardAdventures

Wow what an incredible trip, you did so much! And of course wonderful photos too!

Thanks for the extra info! The scale of those baobabs is truly astonishing, I would love to see them in person. Good luck popping the question!

I found the Selous to be a lot like The American Everglades, just sprinkled with African fauna, also instead of traveling by airboat you are traveling by small putt-putt boats. It was gorgeous and not to be missed, especially if you want a change from the vehicle type of safari. It was a TRUE African river safari. But don't be fooled, once you are in a vehicle you do get to experience something that is very rare to find in Tanzania. Again, The Selous is gorgeous, filled with wonder at every corner and every riverbank. Below are some extra highlights of my experience at the Selous.

post-17578-0-68193600-1351464000.jpg

post-17578-0-00729200-1351464007.jpg

post-17578-0-65889000-1351464011.jpg

post-17578-0-23845300-1351464018.jpg

post-17578-0-45015700-1351464025.jpg

post-17578-0-73607200-1351464030.jpg

post-17578-0-90506700-1351464035.jpg

post-17578-0-94192900-1351464040.jpg

post-17578-0-89946700-1351464044.jpg

post-17578-0-56668400-1351464106.jpg

post-17578-0-50162000-1351464110.jpg

post-17578-0-04947300-1351464116.jpg

post-17578-0-45234500-1351464121.jpg

post-17578-0-07088500-1351464126.jpg

post-17578-0-56640100-1351464131.jpg

post-17578-0-61071100-1351464136.jpg

post-17578-0-68672700-1351464140.jpg

• 11 months later...

@ Thanks very much for the great report and amazing photos! Ruaha seems to be really amazing, I am almost tempting to visit it in February. Can not believe that you had so much wildlife sightings during the rainy season. Were there any inaccessible roads in the park due to rain and mud?

It is quite obvious from the report, but still to confirm - would you recommend visiting Ruaha in January - February over Southwest Serengeti in terms of wildlife sightings? If you had to choose between combo of Ruaha + Selous or Ruaha + Southwest Serengeti in Jan-Feb which one would you choose?

The questions are open to all ST members, any reply would be appreciated :)

Cheers!

Thanks very much for the reply.

I do not feel that I am serious enough regarding this plans to start a new thread (already booked Kruger and Botswana for May/June), just investigating the possibilities... Would you go to Ruaha in Jan-Feb?

Thanks for the reply. You mean the Ruaha report of @@stokeygirl ? Yes, I read it, it is great, I just can not do another safari in the summer, otherwise I would also prefer to go to Ruaha during the dry season. Might possibly have time (about 10-12 days) in February, this is why my mind started wondering around :):) Green season is attracting me with the lush vegetation, as well. But I am greedy, I want it all - the lush vegetation, the wildlife, blue sky and possibly on a very low budget :):):):)

@@FlyTraveler

Would you go to Ruaha in Jan-Feb?

I’ve been twice in Feb so the short answer is yes, if you want a longer answer you’ll have to start another thread.

Hi Flytraveler

I did a campingtrip to Selous, Mikumi and Ruaha in feb.

Selous: Green, good wildlife viewing, saw wilddogs but very few elephants. Pleasant temperaturers . Fantastic place. Went back in sep. this year.

Ruaha: green, wildlife dispersed, Had to leave before time because of heavy rain and vind. Pleasant temperaturers . Fantastic place going back in sep. 2014.

Mikumi: Nice, good wildlife viewing, but too civilized for me.

Michael

Hi ....

In fact is was a bit cold at night.

Let me, at the same time thank you for sharing your huge knowledge of Africas wildlife, parks and so on. You are a Living Safari Encyclopedia :-)You have inspired me.

Michael

I've been to Selous in late Jan and it was very hot but not unbearably so. I seem to remember having late afternoon storms which seemed to cool things down at night. But it all depends what you are doing in the heat- I'm contemplating going back to take advantage of Beho Beho's 7-for-5 offer but I'd like to do more walking, and for walking the heat is more of a concern. I find in a vehicle, you always have moving air around you. One thing I enjoyed about Selous at that time of year was the carmines- I remember having a swarm of about 50 of them following the vehicle (they pick up the insects that jump up).

some people mentioned they'd had some rain in Selous just before we arrived.

@@FlyTraveler

I’ve been twice in Feb so the short answer is yes, if you want a longer answer you’ll have to start another thread.

Thanks very much inyathi, I opened a new thread regarding these plans, I would appreciate your opinion and advise - http://safaritalk.net/topic/11582-januaryfebruary-tanzania-safari/

Cheers!

@@FlyTraveler

Thanks very much inyathi, I opened a new thread regarding these plans, I would appreciate your opinion and advise - http://safaritalk.net/topic/11582-januaryfebruary-tanzania-safari/

Cheers!

Hi Flytraveler

I did a campingtrip to Selous, Mikumi and Ruaha in feb.

Selous: Green, good wildlife viewing, saw wilddogs but very few elephants. Pleasant temperaturers . Fantastic place. Went back in sep. this year.

Ruaha: green, wildlife dispersed, Had to leave before time because of heavy rain and vind. Pleasant temperaturers . Fantastic place going back in sep. 2014.

Mikumi: Nice, good wildlife viewing, but too civilized for me.

Michael

Thanks Michael,

According to your experience, would you prefer Selous over Ruaha in green season?

Cheers!

I am not sure, allthough Selous had better gameviewing, Ruaha was very green and we had a lot of rain which made the game dispered. But other may have visit in feb. and having better gameviewing. Ruaha is so beautifull and i will go back next year in sep. where game viewing i fantastic as you can read in other tripreports.