Photos of my various travels, Tanzania,Botswana etc..

Swahealy 43

http://www.flickr.com/photos/swahealy43/

Hi All,

Mea culpa on not posting a trip report so far on my trip to Ruaha and Selous!! But in mitigation I attach my photos from various recent trips!! Some do have info and others I like to let stand alone... I hope you enjoy!!

What's the story on the genet in the tree? Great catch. The rainbow on the pond with the lounging lions looks like you made that up. To help alleviate your mea culpas, just state your dates and lodging for Ruaha & Selous, also your transport. Thanks for the photo links.

Wonderful photo's and nice to see a human in there. So many of us forget to include photo's of us!

Atravelynn,

oh ye of little faith!! lol!! The genet was just "there" lucky for us!! Usually see the ones in Ndutu lodge but this was in the same vicinity but was wild!! I have never "photoshopped" any of my photos or cropped them for good or ill!! Just in the right place with the rainbow, again at Ndutu between the small and big marsh last March!! I was in Selous from 2/5 at Selous hippo camp for 2 nights and then bush camp for 4. Supposed to stay beside lake Tagalala but road was impassable so camped in bush near Beho Beho. Did not meet another soul!! stayed one night in Morogoro before driving and staying 5 nights in Ruaha in the HQ Bandas right beside the Ruaha river 1/2 a mile from park HQ. Again all on my lonesome!!

I hope to see the report soon, especially as I'm interested in checking out Ruaha/Selous next time, but the pictures were a wonderful diversion for me today. Thought-provoking what one of your captions said, about feeling safer in the bush than in any city. You certainly had many excellent sightings. What a lucky striped hyena spotting!

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

Firstly an apology for not getting round to doing any trip reports yet!!! I know it is remiss of me!! As a " mea culpa" I have just spent this weekend updating photos from my May trip to Ruaha, Selous and Mikumi and my November safari to Ndutu, to the attached Flickr site. I will get round to giving them a sense of place and a description of the circumstances of the photos. For now I quite like the fact that they can stand alone. Ndutu was just incredible and I was just so lucky to see so much. I hope to give a more in depth trip report soon!! I have not cropped, touched up or generally "holywoodised" any of the photos! I am sure that someone out there could give me tips on how to and I would be open to suggestions of mild pfaffing with them! But I do like the fact that they are " as seen"!!

Well if you do dip a toe into the site I hope that you find it worthwhile. It is a window to Africa through my eyes. And of course my heart.......http://www.flickr.com/photos/swahealy43/

Hi Simba,

One of the Males of the Marsh pride at Ndutu had been injured in a fight about three weeks previously (Youg Mr Tom!). The NCAA decided to treat him and put a collar on him. As my colleague and I were there for ten days and have a knowledge of the prides around Ndutu,(Marsh,Triangle and Masek) they thought we would like to check him out in the mornings to make sure he was doing ok. I have seen those programs where they track various species and was totally kmocked out to be able to do it myself!!

Many thanks. Jackals chasing wildcat must be special. Collared lion from marsh you call young tom. Do the lions at ndutu have names as in the mara? Really enjoyed photos. Asante.

The Wildcat was special! We first saw the Jackals with Hyena and then the Wildcat just popped up!! They chased it and did "tree" it but it was never in danger and was just more "miffed" at having to run!! The Jackals had a den near by we think hence the Hyena being seen of as well.

My colleague has very meticulous photos going back 10 years of the Lions at Ndutu and has named a lot of the pride members just so he and I knew who was who, whisker spots etc. He has being going to the Lodge every 6 months and the names have stuck. Added bonus is that the Serengeti lion project have become interested in the Ndutu lions and as Brian had left one of the guides there his photos they have " adopted" the names as well. The antannae was theirs and left at the lodge. They came to meet Brian and I when we were there and spent time going over his records to get a " feel" for the prides. They came out with us for a couple of days and it was great to feel that we had contributed to the whole thing!!

Whenever you do feel like sharing your Selous Ruaha trip, I'd be interested. How about just the itinerary for starters, including your transportation within Africa?

Whenever you do feel like sharing your Selous Ruaha trip, I'd be interested. How about just the itinerary for starters, including your transportation within Africa?

Yes, baby-steps first Swahealy - and you can also write it up as a series of vignettes rather than going blow-by-blow and day-by-day. Then you can be "finished" when you feel like it and it isn't such a big undertaking as your vignette can be anything from a couple of paragraphs to a detailed historical record depending on your mood and available time.

Selous haiku maybe?

Actually I prefer the specifics, but it could get the trip report juices flowing.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like the upcoming reports could become very creative.