Show Us Your Honey Badgers...

Game Warden

Who can start us off? Where, when, camera and lens details etc. Thanks, Matt.

armchair bushman

*fingers tap tap tap impatiently* Hurry up people.

The only honey badgers I've seen have been dead ones. See their tracks all the time, but have yet to see a live one with my own eyes.

I know it's probably been posted here before, but I can't help it. let the hilarity consume you:

• 3 weeks later...

I posted this before but as there seem to be no other images:

We were in Tsavo East, Kenya (July 2012) heading towards the Aruba dam area having passed through the Sala gate.

We saw a perched Tawny Eagle in a small tree not far from the road. These raptors are two-a-penny here but as this one was behaving strangely we stopped. The Eagle was intently watching something below and on following his gaze we saw dirt being flung into the air -as if some hidden creature was violently digging.
Ben manoeuvred the vehicle to get a better look and a boar Honey Badger broke cover and trundled off.
Bizarrely, as he ran off the Eagle began to give a rather plaintive call, the Honey Badger stopped briefly and looked back at the Eagle before heading off into dense scrub. Within about 30 seconds of the Honey Badger disappearing the Eagle flew off low in the same direction.

Curiosity got the better of us and so we had a quick look at the area where the Honey Badger was digging; an (Unstriped) Ground Squirrel bolted from an adjacent burrow and we wondered whether the Honey Badger was trying to dig out a squirrel nest whilst the Eagle was waiting for any squirrels that bolted. This is all conjecture on our part but the Honey Badger and the Eagle were up to something -who knows they may have been working together as Honey Badgers are known to co-operate with Greater Honeyguides when raiding wild beehives.7825317678_bbe316b2eb_o.jpg

7825318086_8b56f34bc3_o.jpg

7825317280_4c23c0f247_o.jpg

Edited by Rainbirder

Now I am jealous.

Having seen a honey badger (also this year) several times but always on a rush.

You need to leave something for your next safari, WD :)

• 9 months later...

Encountered this Honey Badger when on a night drive in the SNLP, Zambia last year. Although it ran and took refuge under a bush we were able to get close enough for me to get this shot. Technical details : Nikon D800, 80-400 lens at 400mm f8, flash at 1/250sec, ISO 3200.

post-25523-0-51127100-1378726733_thumb.jpg

Sorted. Now, let's see some more Honey Badgers because the Game Warden does care :)

Looks like you need more Honey Badgers. Here's a couple from Ndutu, February 2013. Nikon D800, 200-400VR. Mom with two little ones (didn't get a decent shot of the little ones other than their butts running away!)

honey_badger_8234a.jpg

honey_badger_8238a.jpg

I've seen honey badgers in Etosha National Park, Serengeti National Park, and Chobe National Park during the daytime. At Little Kwara I saw two honey badgers running on the road in front of the vehicle. I had a great sighting of a pair of them just recently in South Luangwa National Park on a night drive. They are truly awesome animals in every way.

• 2 years later...
Game Warden

Let's see your honey badger photos...

~ First, I need to actually see a honey badger!

That's a species which has never been mentioned on any game drive I've been on, nor has any guide or ranger ever alluded to a recent honey badger sighting.

I've looked at this thread before, to get a sense of what a honey badger's appearance is, for the unlikely event that I might encounter one on safari.

Looking forward to anyone's honey badger images, no matter how dated or sepia-toned.

Tom K.

Until 2014 we had never seen honey badgers, either. Since then, we came across them on each of the following six or seven trips trip, sometimes up to five different animals, both in South and in East Africa

post-6901-0-53304000-1459225063_thumb.jpg

post-6901-0-16006200-1459225086_thumb.jpg

~ @@ice

Wow! Great honey badger shots!

Thanks for posting these.

It's encouraging to know that you, too, hadn't seen them...then starting seeing them.

Great sightings, which inspire me to keep my eyes open on any future safaris.

Tom K.

michael-ibk

My best sighting where I least expected it - last March in India, Tadoba National Park. Super lucky - even some of the guides there had never seen one.

gallery_19319_1252_12476222.jpg

• 4 months later...
Morkel Erasmus

Great sightings, folks!

We had an epic sighting in January in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, one morning next to our vehicle.

Check this photo, then you can read the whole account here (with more photos): http://bit.ly/BadgerTortoise

Video to come soon!

post-14617-0-03251300-1470218019_thumb.jpg

I have been fortunate to have seen H/B' in Serengeti, Tsavo.E & W, Masai mara twice.

No photo's, but here's a bit of film from the Masai Mara early October 2010.

It was late evening and the light was going and thankfully this guy was up & about early.

He had been digging for about 5 mins or so before this clip.

He knew there was something there, and he was rewarded with a juicy dung ball.

Honey Badger (13).mpg

Edited by PHALANX

• 6 months later...
theplainswanderer

Honey Badgers

Etosha National Park'

Saw these on three occasions in Etosha which was amazing - at halal Camp area they do scavenge around the camp - I managed to follow a couple and got a few shots.

David Taylor

post-47774-0-03450700-1488197109_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-79163600-1488197126_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-70552400-1488197139_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-36824900-1488197149_thumb.jpgpost-47774-0-39744000-1488197166_thumb.jpg

theplainswanderer

typo! ........on my post above that should read Halali Camp

The first and last are really outstanding!

theplainswanderer

Honey Badger mayhem! .........Such characters these animals!

In image one he looks like he's in the middle of a hangover - too much camp wine! Haha!

post-47774-0-70956000-1488274738_thumb.jpg

In image two " I'm just a sun kickin, dirt lovin badger boy putting my feet up ya'll " ........ haha!

post-47774-0-44546200-1488274748_thumb.jpg

Honey Badgers

Halali Camp, Etosha

Namibia 2016

Canon 7D mark 2

Canon 100-400 mark 2

David Taylor

Brisbane, Australia