David Lindo The "urban Birder" Comes To "kenyeah!"

armchair bushman

armchair bushman

Sounds like a fun, eccentric person to go birding with.

Wish I still had the time to go for NatureKenya's Wednesday Morning Birdwalks.

Article here.

“I think l started birding in my mother’s womb,” jokes Lindo. Born with an innate interest in nature in the intensely urban brick jungle of north London, where nobody around him had any interest in birds or nature, Lindo was nicknamed “Bird Brain” at school.

Where any other eight-year-old would have been embarrassed by the title, Lindo used it to his advantage and was soon taking his mates on guided bird walks around the school woods. By the time he was nine, he had an almost encyclopedic memory of the birds of Europe, Asia and North Africa from a tome he had borrowed from the library (and to date hasn’t returned!)

After the bird book, the eight-year-old’s next step was to visit the London Zoo, the nearest he would come to seeing some of the birds in the book alive. He and his friends had no money to buy zoo tickets, so they crawled through a hole in the fence; Lindo headed straight for the bird section. “It was like meeting old friends,” he recalls.

Yes he is a lovely guy! :D He's usually at Bird Fair, I've known him for quite a few years.

• 11 months later...

I met him in Newcastle earlier this year at a wildlife photography awards night. He's lovely guy whose enthusiasm is infectious and his personality brightened up the event. He has so many great stories and anecdotes. Top bloke.

Edited by Safari Cal