Supermodels! Simply the best!

Dave Williams

What about this one, the Rufous-tailed jacamar (Pantanal) ?

_K4E0033.jpg.eff08b060417ae756c7a637afc68fc22.jpg

Dave Williams

Absolutely agree with Soukous, superb looking bird and lovely images too @Whyone?

Dave Williams

@Bush dog I have a feeling that I'm going to have a terrible attack of Hummingbird envy soon! I could spend weeks photographing them!

@Dave Williams

The jacamar is not a hummingbird.  It's much bigger, more than 20 centimeters from the tip of the beak to the end of the tail.

Dave Williams
2 minutes ago, Bush dog said:

@Dave Williams

The jacamar is not a hummingbird.  It's much bigger, more than 20 centimeters from the tip of the beak to the end of the tail.

@Bush dog I had a feeling I had jumped in with an uneducated assumption that they were all under one umbrella. I still have a feeling the Hummers will follow..... and I'm still feeling an attack of envy is imminent. Bring it on!

Peter Connan

The Bee-eater family has several stunners too. Here's a few European Bee-eaters:

EurofighterODP-3.jpg.4fbaef27a1f7b1d3509a5f5c53a1229a.jpg

Marakele National Park, December 2016

@Dave Williams

Sorry, as far as I'm concerned no hummingbirds but perhaps some macaws or toucans?

Dave Williams
27 minutes ago, Bush dog said:

@Dave Williams

Sorry, as far as I'm concerned no hummingbirds but perhaps some macaws or toucans?

@Bush dog Phew, I can handle them better...but only slightly!

offshorebirder

I will jump in with a Sunbird supermodel - Mr. Variable Sunbird.   In addition to being a supermodel, he is a pop singer (he was regaling us at the time in Nairobi NP).

24640007682_c879aa9faa_b.jpg

24462289410_e3d4b36c0b_b.jpg

24640005392_a5ac912ccc_b.jpg

Nice idea for a thread, and it gives us some opportunities to showcase birds outside of the usual safari destinations!

Since @Dave Williams is so desperate for hummingbirds, I can provide a few :)

How about this beauty;

goulds_jewelfront_6000a.jpg

Although this next one isn't the best angle for a portrait, it shows off one of his beauty marks ;)

goulds_jewelfront_6496a.jpg

These were taken at Wild Sumaco Lodge on the Eastern slope of the Andes in Ecuador. If you want hummingbirds, Ecuador is the place to go. I've got lots more where these came from :)

One more from the Pantanal, the Amazonian motmot

_MG_2200.thumb.jpg.143a0f51662a757279ccfd8f61d818ae.jpg

offshorebirder

Thanks @Peter Connan - but I think mine pale in comparison to @janzin's and @Bush dog's.

Your family portrait of the Bee-eaters is also choice!

@Peter Connan Yes, I usually am using flash for hummingbirds because a) I am always trying to get them in flight, when flash is necessary; and b- I am often shooting in dark understory in places like Ecuador or Colombia. But I am using a very low output fill-flash for these--from -1 to -1.7. (For stopping them in flight, its different.)

Here's another gorgeous hummer. You can see how he got his name!

golden_tailed_sapphire_6562a.jpg

@janzin

Your hummingbirds are gorgeous!

This one is more bigger, another Pantanal's star, the toco toucan.

_MG_2045.jpg.401406444d851410464c752b56096c5e.jpg

Peter Connan

Magnificent pictures everyone!

Thanks @janzin. Guess i need to get a flash sooner or later!

Indeed @Peter Connan you'll need a flash to get shots like this. (I promise this is the last hummer for now, don't want to hog the thread!)

This one is from Colombia.

gorgeted_woodstar_0461b.jpg

Peter Connan

@janzin, I think it will take a hell of a lot more than just a flash for me to get a magnificent image like that! 

Coming back down to earth for a moment, here is probably the most-photographed bird in Southern Africa:

lbr1ODP.thumb.jpg.dffbfe168998af19edcb59d8c42c076f.jpg

I guess it needs no introduction here?

Another Bornean kingfisher...this time the Stork-billed version...

29597500502_28a36654f4_h.jpg2R4C1098 by Whyone, on Flickr

Dave Williams

My next nomination might surprise as it's bird that is so often overlooked as they are often seen as a bit of a pest as they are noisy, hang around in groups, make a mess and are generally unwanted guests.. their Latin name says it all really

But hang on a minute and look again.

Common Starling   Sturnus vulgaris

17000922352_081e5f80fd_b.jpgStarling by Dave Williams, on Flickr

When in Bulgaria I was in a hide specifically to photograph European Bee-eaters but this particular bird was having none of it. It stomped and shouted and displayed defiance that the perch belonged to him and no one else. Annoyed at first I came to marvel the display that was put on. I would love to have posted the video but sadly that, along with all my foreign photo records have been accidentally deleted.

17942579720_e2c10f800d_b.jpgStarling   Bulgaria by Dave Williams, on Flickr

From a photographic point of few one of the greatest wild life spectacles in the world is provided by Starlings ( food for thought for another thread there too!). 

I'm lucky that this has happened on my doorstep several times in recent years when each evening tens of thousands of birds gather to perform amazing acrobatic displays before descending in to the reed beds to roost in huge numbers for protection from predation.

25614193376_7927dab47c_b.jpgStarling murmuration Conwy RSPB by Dave Williams, on Flickr

better still on a sunnier evening

25769871506_15b177a8a2_b.jpgStarlings at sundown by Dave Williams, on Flickr

There are more attractive Starlings as individuals but nothing that puts on a display like this.

Edited by Dave Williams
spilling mustakes

Dave Williams

@Whyone? Stunning Kingfisher and capture and this is no doubt just the start, like wise with the Roller @Peter Connan 

Oh and @janzin carry on and do your worst. I'll get over it!!!

Eventually

Edited by Dave Williams

Stunning birds, everyone - but very pleasing to see the Starling here. In good light they really are beautiful, and the murmuration is amazing.

(Sorry to hear about the loss of your photos Dave)

Fantastic shots @Dave Williams of the murmuration of starlings...we see that here in the USA too but not in as great numbers...still always impressive. And yes they can be beautiful birds in the right light! Thank you for sending us your European Starlings :)