B.Y. 2019. The Tortoise rules!

Dave Williams

Such beauties. The Cuckoo and The Pipit ... what a capture!

michael-ibk

Love the Dotterel, still have to see one. Actually an extremely rare breeding bird in our mountains but hardly ever found. 

Dave Williams

221) Garden Warbler

I spent far too much time waiting to try for a glimpse and a shot of this elusive bird singing away but unseen deep in the bush.

47680438552_71842287d4_b.jpgGarden Warbler  Sylvia borin by Dave Williams, on Flickr

I eventually got to see it as posted above and better still it popped out for just a moment making it 30 minutes worthwhile but at the expense of anything else as the weather turned really grim so i went home!

40766975813_69a0618020_b.jpgGarden Warbler  Sylvia borin by Dave Williams, on Flickr

8 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

the weather turned really grim so i went home!

Lovely day here. You got the birds and I got the sunburn!:D

Garden Warblers have a certain style I think.

Dave Williams

222) Common Redstart

Nothing beats a walk in a Bluebell wood in early spring.

40775735983_a63dc40428_k.jpgA walk in the woods by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Armed with my 100-400 plus a 1.4TC I did struggle to lock focus on my subjects which were all fairly distant.

47742284061_39ebc0a780_h.jpgCommon Redstart   Phoenicurus phoenicurus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Very nice. Take me walkies too please.

Beautiful walk, Dave, and nice birds.

Abslolutely cracking shot of the Cuckoo and Pipit, Dave and I can say the same thing of your Dotterel!  Envious of your Garden Warbler, haven't seen one for years.

Dave Williams

225) Bullfinch

The day started with a photo opportunity from our bathroom! The male Bullfinch munching on some hazel seed.

32808962367_85552de37f_b.jpgBullfinch   Pyrrhula pyrrhula by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

226) Tree Pipit

Having started the day with an addition to my BY I decided I was in the mood to carry on. The weather forecast was proven to be wrong, the expected rain wasn't happening so I headed back to the Bluebell woods to try for some better shots and with my biggest lens. A bonus bird turned out to be a Tree Pipit which are quite unusual compared to the many Meadow Pipits that are everywhere.

40785435293_00efd2c94b_b.jpgTree Pipit   Anthus trivialis by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Here's one for comparison.

32811881817_9c58c24b92_b.jpgMeadow Pipit  Anthus pratensis by Dave Williams, on Flickr

There was a Pied Wagtail hanging around in the same area of burnt heathland but as I have included a White Wagtail in my count already I'll exclude it as an addition.

47699703302_b2430548e5_b.jpgPied Wagtail   Motacilla alba by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Your bathroom window is nearly as good as @mvecht's sofa, Dave!!

Thanks for the pipit comparisons, I have some I am working on with id's.

Dave Williams

@Zim Girl I wish the windows opened fully though, very awkward and a small field of view to poke the lens through!

I guess the reason you think Tree Pipit is because that's where you tend to find them. They also take off and parachute down again. Looking at the bird the breast streaks are thicker than on the Meadow Pipit and the underbelly is cleaner and whiter than the yellowish seen on M.P. The best way is to take an expert birder out with you like I did yesterday!! He proved a good spotter, he found it.

Edited by Dave Williams

pedro maia
1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

@Zim Girl I wish the windows opened fully though, very awkward and a small field of view to poke the lens through!

I guess the reason you think Tree Pipit is because that's where you tend to find them. They also take off and parachute down again. Looking at the bird the breast streaks are thicker than on the Meadow Pipit and the underbelly is cleaner and whiter than the yellowish seen on M.P. The best way is to take an expert birder out with you like I did yesterday!! He proved a good spotter, he found it.

This made me go back to confirm that you hadn´t taken the picture of the Tree Pipit from your bathroom window...

Dave Williams
4 minutes ago, pedro maia said:

This made me go back to confirm that you hadn´t taken the picture of the Tree Pipit from your bathroom window...

We have a suitable  tree outside but no Pipit of any description!!!  Might get a Water Pipit in the bath one day though, that would be something else.:D

3 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

My windows are exactly the same - hence having to keep washing them instead!!

Thanks for the pipit tips.

Dave Williams

227) Great Cormorant

Earlier this afternoon I went and sat on the local cliff tops overlooking the sea, taking in the ozone mixed with a distinctly bird aroma from the Cormorants nesting below me! Unusually there was one sat at the very top near to my favoured spot so I got a sitting down shot as well as the flight shot I was after.

33911558418_300b16d118_b.jpgGreat Cormorant   Phalacrocorax carbo by Dave Williams, on Flickr

They are in full breeding plumage at the moment displaying a white patch above the leg. They were also busy bring in nesting materials too.

47736179162_cf1a6e41d7_b.jpgGreat Cormorant   Phalacrocorax carbo by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Peter Connan

Lovely shots of both!

michael-ibk

Great Peregrine, and I´m jealous about the Garden Warbler. Somewhat of a nemesis bird for me, I do hear them once in a while but have never managed to get a photo.

Great Peregrine - there may be some luck, but you put yourself in the right place to give the opportunity and then used considerable skill to produce such a superb shot.

Superb Peregrine shot, Dave!