B.Y. 2019. The Tortoise rules!

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

157)African Swamphen

Everyone needs an EBC now and again. I was delighted to get this grab shot of a distant  African Swamphen, the first i have seen in the Kotu area .

46768388004_f4e166a9f6_b.jpgAfrican Swamphen Porphyrio madagascariensis by Dave Williams, on Flickr

I have no idea that you can produce a viable EBC photo, @Dave Williams :D!

On a more serious note, I am really surprised how different the bird are, between South Africa and The Gambia. A quick look would say that our two lists might not have more then 25% of birds in common.

Dave Williams
14 minutes ago, xelas said:

On a more serious note, I am really surprised how different the bird are, between South Africa and The Gambia. A quick look would say that our two lists might not have more then 25% of birds in common.

I'm banking on it!!!!!

I had a rather strange attitude to TG this time,  but I just decided I wasn't prepared to throw money at guided trips just to increase my BY list. I have seen most of what there is to see, although I did pick up a couple of lifers. I guess it comes down to the difference between bird listers and photographers.Very few guides understand a photographers needs. They see you with what they think is a big lens and assume that the tiny dot in the distance makes a good photo which isn't the case of course. I was just as likely to get a decent shot of something without leaving the area we were staying in. The time of year makes a difference too and some previously common species were either not there or hardly seen. The reverse was true as well of course, but not to the same extent. Consequently my TG list is well down on last years.

I shall soon be sat back waiting for the Hare to pass!!