B.Y. 2019. The Tortoise rules!

Dave Williams

Dave Williams

345) Common Linnet

I got a call inviting me to see a rarity over on the Isle of Anglesey yesterday and the day provided me with three BY additions including the Linnet. It's a common bird but very flighty and I didn't include one last year so I'm grabbing this one, a female, whilst the goings good!

48071689117_414bee02c8_b.jpgCommon Linnet  Linaria cannabina by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

346) Sandwich Tern

There's a breeding colony on the north coast where I was 100% guaranteed I'd be able to photograph them coming back to the nest with fish.

48071563136_8dc85561fa_b.jpgSandwich Tern  Sterna sanvicensis by Dave Williams, on Flickr

I could spend hours sat on the shingle beach taking in the sea air and just doing what I enjoy...some birding photography!

48071611688_cbaaebbea5_b.jpgSandwich Tern  Sterna sanvicensis by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

347) Savi's Warbler

This one's bit special. For starters it's a lifer for me. The UK is on the very edge of it's range, and then they are most likely seen in the south and not up here where it was only the second record of one. We waited 30 minutes, hearing it occasionally from deep in the reed bed.Then, for a very brief 20 seconds or so it flew up on to a dead tree branch.

48071583371_59124a1559_b.jpgSavi's Warbler  Locustella luscinioides by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Luckily for me someone was at hand to point out which branch or I might have missed it. Typically, once you have the shot you regret not having got a better one. I had left my longest lens in the car and this is a big crop!

48071584291_8b11e93164_b.jpgSavi's Warbler  Locustella luscinioides by Dave Williams, on Flickr

michael-ibk

An unusual perch for a Savi´s, congratulations on your lifer! Great Tern shots.

Peter Connan

Lovely Terns!

344) Spotted Flycatcher -> You've almost gave a heart attack to poor ol' hare, @Dave Williams I must have missed all those birds between #243 and #344 ...

Edited by xelas

Dave Williams

A Tortoise maybe but cunning as a Fox! @xelas

43098443202_d54b8052a8_b.jpgFox by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

17 hours ago, xelas said:

344) Spotted Flycatcher -> You've almost gave a heart attack to poor ol' hare, @Dave Williams I must have missed all those birds between #243 and #344 ...

Now why didn't I think of that?

Dave Williams

248) Little Tern

I didn't get away with my little leap but never mind here's a Little Tern from a colony on the North Wales Coast.

48081940736_8770419fac_b.jpgLittle Tern  Sterna albifrons by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Never mind the counting when the quality is there. Great shots throughout my catch up viewing today.

So the trick must be to fool the birds by heading to one destination and then racing back in the other? I must try that! (Try anything!)

@Dave Williams with a month in Kruger and 3 weeks in India, there is no need for such leaps :D, you will easily pass by #500 this year.

Beautiful Skylark, I can see your back is back (to support the heavy but oh so grat gear).

A wonderful skylark shot for No.250

17 minutes ago, TonyQ said:

A wonderful skylark shot for No.250

It is indeed

Peter Connan
19 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

250) Eurasian Skylark

Another from the same area as the Little Tern colony. Turned in to a good trip today!

Eurasian Skylark  Alauda arvensis by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Wow!

Dave Williams

251) Yellowhammer

My birding pal of many trips,Mike, invited me along to share the spoils of his research in to achieving a decent  Yellowhammer image.He'd done the ground work, worked out where to see one and I got the benefit of the best views and photographs I have ever had...not too difficult as it's the first I have managed in nearly 9 years and I only had one image then.. 

Yellowhammers apparently were very common in the UK not that many years ago but are far less so nowadays...hence my long wait, but what a wonderful bird it is, Stunningly beautiful, a Bunting to match any!

48099610021_71a0d7063c_b.jpgYellowhammer   Emberiza citrinella by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Lovely bird. Extraordinary coincidence. As you say much scarcer now than they used to be. Now believed to be extinct on IOM. Farming methods. A good reliable site is the RSPB Mersehead Reserve where they come to the feeders.

Stunning shots of the Skylark and the Yellowhammer, @Dave Williams !

• 3 weeks later...
Dave Williams

252) Egyptian Goose

A quick visit to the River Cam,Cambridgeshire and a new reserve called Kingfisher Bridge whilst staying in the area last weekend.

48238932847_3599e8a164_b.jpgEgyptian Goose  Alopochen aegyptiaca by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Dave Williams

253) Great Crested Grebe

Another from the River Cam, whilst Egyptian Geese don't occur in North Wales, GCG do but might as well post one whilst I have the opportunity.

48238845176_dc4ec6451c_b.jpgGreat Crested Grebe   Podiceps cristatus by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Well done. A much nicer Grebe than mine, and I have not managed to find a Godwit yet this year.

Dave Williams

255)Arctic Tern

I had a week away on my favourite island retreat, the Isle of May in Scotland, the week before last. I managed to collect a few additions for my BY, all of which were expected prior to going.

48173674642_fc013ae252_b.jpgArctic Tern  Sterna paradisaea by Dave Williams, on Flickr