PC's 2019: a lazy year

Peter Connan

Peter Connan

I only have this one shot of that bird, but the previous photo is of a mature Stilt, taken just over a minute earlier...

So, number 20) becomes Black-winged Stilt, Rooipootelsie,    

Himantopus himantopus

Thanks for the assistance everyone!

Edited by Peter Connan

Dave Williams
4 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

I only have this one shot of that bird, but the previous photo is of a mature Stilt, taken just over a minute earlier...

So, 20) Black-winged Stilt, Rooipootelsie,    

Himantopus himantopus

Thanks for the assistance everyone!

Do you have a sound track to go with this even better EBC!!

Glad that is sorted! @Dave Williams

Soundtracks are all very well but how do we play them on here?

Peter Connan

Sorry @Dave Williams, that was a re-naming of the previous bird posted. Should have been more clear hey?

Peter Connan

21) Yellow-billed Duck

Geelbekeend Anas undulata

ybdODP-2.jpg.72f76811d7ec4ac171859c4f53dd4402.jpg

Zibulo, 17 February

Dave Williams

Great POV on the duck!

@Peter Connan Do you use a tripod for your birds in flight pictures?

Peter Connan

Thanks @xelas and @Dave Williams.

@pedro maia, no. Most of my BIF are shot hand-held. In a hide I may use a ground pod and gimbal head, or a sandbag. I think this particular one was off a sandbag.

I firmly believe that for BIF you ne3d shutter speeds that are so high that one can hand-hold the longest lenses without fear of motion blur, but the super-telephoto primes are so heavy that it is difficult to impossible to hand-hold them for any length of time.

I  can point my 500 f4 for just a few minutes. The new long zooms are much lighter. And of course there is now the new Nikkor 500 f5.6 which I think is a game-changing lens.

3 hours ago, Peter Connan said:

I  can point my 500 f4 for just a few minutes.

That is because you are young and fit. I could point your 500 f/4 for just a few seconds :blink:

Peter Connan

Not feeling particularly young or fit @xelas. There is a trick. Elbow in the side, lens foot resting on the fingertips. This technique makes it possible to hold it up for a couple of minutes...

But it is not controllable enough for birds flying by, I use it for perching birds that look like they are about to take off. 

Normally, they then sit dead still until I lower the camera, and then immediately fly off...

Peter Connan

22) Egyptian Goose

Kolgans Alopochen aegyptiacus

EgyptianODP.jpg.b3b72168c08585aab8e3be3eee830e4f.jpg

12 January, Marievale

Peter Connan

23) Pied Avocet

Bontelsie Recurvirostra avosetta

AvocetODP.jpg.4e70c50619afcdea8d87d85eb57b8e06.jpg

12 January, Marievale

Peter Connan

24) African Marsh Harrier

Afrikaanse Vleivalk Circus ranivorus

MarshHarrierODP.jpg.e02728efe25a4219060c32d38936fdba.jpg

12 January, Marievale

Peter Connan

25) Fulvous Duck

Fluiteend Dendrocygna bicolor

FulvousDucksODP-3.jpg.025aa22e78f7403f8ea09cb95d1b2295.jpg
12 January, Marievale

Peter Connan

26) Pied Kingfisher

Bontvisvanger Ceryle rudis

pkODP-2.jpg.864b37fba34870da263482fb1bc51481.jpg

Zibulo, 17 February

Peter Connan

27) Sacred Ibis

Skoorsteenveer Threskiornis aethiopicus

SacredIbisODP.jpg.12bd3edd4396be6f7034d83e821e0ab1.jpg

12 January, Marievale

And sorry @Dave Williams, but this one's too good to pass up.

SacredODP.jpg.e89c6f0b90278a93988db6866f0f1c67.jpg

17 February, Zibulo

i'm glad you didn't pass up on the second pic of the sacred ibis - it's lovely with the wind ruffling up its feathers!

interesting that you took the shot at such a low level - were you in a hide? 

Edited by Kitsafari

Dave Williams

Great shot and POV Peter.

I only just got around to checking out your Big Year @Peter Connan some terrific shots in there. I particularly like the high percentage of in flight shots.

I decided to re-evaluate my approach to Big Year in 2019. I found that the irresistible pull of competing meant that I was posting some shots just to get the numbers up; shots I would not normally have bothered sharing.

I also found that, as almost all my travels are in Africa, I was shooting the same birds every year and that because we can only post each species once I would post a shot in February and then find I got many better shots of the same bird later in the year.

So, I'm keeping a tally and will only start positing when I see how my year in panning out. I'd like to be able to post some different species too. We'll see. 

@Soukous Each to their own but I would have thought that despite the 'pressure' to get the numbers rolling up one can still be selective. I am not sure if 'quality counts' in this thread and one can always post a "Product improvement" picture later. As to being confined to Africa I seem to recall you posted some good stuff from UK another year.  I have not left Europe yet and yes, there are some rubbish shots  in my score but that's how it goes!

So come on. Share the spoils and the fun.

While numbers are important, as a photographer I am always trying to get a "new" perspective on a well known species (back home only). Some photos are put into "hold" folder, waiting if a better one could be taken. After a while, this folder needs to be "cleared", yet, if a better one is taken after posting the "original", why not sharing also that one?! This Big Year is about having fun, from both sides.

What a great Ibis shot with this low angle!

Peter Connan

Thanks everyone. @Kitsafari, yes, this was from a water-level hide.

@Soukous, last year I tried to post only good pictures, although a couple of rough ones did slip through. I also run a list, which has a second portion for EBC's which I may or may not use to reach a particular target towards the end of the year if I don't manage something better during the year.

I suspect next year my goal will be to post only BIF shots...

Peter Connan

28) Little Grebe

Kleindobbertjie Tachybaptus ruficollis

DobbertjieODP.jpg.cf1936e10c7c76a40a859f6f993104a1.jpg

12 January, Marievale