Safari Cal

Hi all,

I've just joined and thought I'd post a trip report from my recent Easter trip to Borneo by way of an introduction. I'll post in sections with photos from each... the first instalment isn't too exciting but sets the scene for the next few.

My 2 week safari to was to Sabah in Northern Borneo. 7 nights of it were spent on Safari with 3 in Kota Kinabalu (1 night at the start and 2 at the end).

Borneo is so different from Africa where I've travelled to regularly since 2001. The heat and humidity of the rainforest is so different from the dry heat of the savannah and the changing light conditions have spoilt many a shot I've taken, but it's well worth the effort for the amazing flora and fauna that abounds on the island.

Kota Kinabalu

My safari started, as all do, in Kota Kinabalu, otherwise known as KK. I arrived in KK on an afternoon flight from Hong Kong. The thing you notice most upon arrival is that there are no queues in the immigration hall, it's straight through with no fuss at all. Within minutes you've picked up your bag and are outside looking for your transfer to the hotel for an overnight stay. I normally stop at a cash point here and pick up local currency for the stay which I use mostly for tips, using my card in hotels whenever possible.

I stay at the Hyatt Regency in KK on my first evening as it's only 15-20 minutes from the airport and it's always an early start whether flying to Sandakan or as I was this time flying to Lahad Datu. I had a 5am start the next day so being fairly close gave me a little more sleep time. The hotel is fantastic, located right by the sea and has all the amenities you could wish for, you can check it out here http://www.kinabalu.regency.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels-kinabalu-regency/index.jsp?null

The food is buffet style with a good selection on offer from European to local dishes and has a piano bar adjacent to the dining area where you can relax with a beer. There is a supermarket located outside if you forget anything and numerous bars and restaurants in the local area. The rooms are spacious and modern and I couldn't pick fault with the one I had. Wifi is free. It's really only a bed for the night so there isn't much to add except I'd have been happy to stay for longer had I wanted to see more of KK.

The sunsets are really exceptional looking over the South China Sea:

Part 2 is the trip from KK to Lahad Datu and on to Tabin Wildlife Reserve.

post-23619-0-45475100-1366069551_thumb.jpg

Really looking forward to your TR as Borneo is on my wishlist and there isn't much written by recent travelers to this area.

kittykat23uk

@@Treepol, looking to go next late winter/spring 2014 if you are interested, drop me a line as looking to get a small group together to save costs. :)

Edited by kittykat23uk

My first day on safari started with a 5am transfer back to the airport for a 45 minute internal Maswings flight to Lahad Datu for my first safari in Tabin (Secondary Rainforest). The hold baggage allowance on this flight is 20kg, which was less than the international flight in, remember to put heavy items in your carry on bag.

Tabin Wildlife Reserve. www.tabinwildlife.com.my/

Upon arrival at Lahad Datu you pick up your bag from a counter, it's too small to have a carousel, and go next door to the Tabin office where you complete documentation before setting off to the rainforest. The trip from Lahad Datu to Tabin takes around 20 minutes on good roads and then another hour and a half on murram roads, on route you'll see Munia, Kingfishers, Hornbills and numerous other birds, keep your eyes peeled though as there are snakes, lizards and the opportunity to see almost anything on the route in which straddles the dividing line between rainforest and oil palm plantation. My guide in Tabin was called Wangkon, he has an incredible knowledge of the birds in the reserve and an encyclopaedia of bird calls on his phone.

The heat begins to ramp up in the rainforest and I was at best slightly sweaty during my stay, whilst out trekking I was wet, extremely wet or looked like I had been dunked in a swimming pool :D . But you get used to it and forget about it as you're so involved in your surroundings and the noises and smells that surround you.

The accommodation was rustic but nice given the location. Rooms had air conditioning and a ceiling fan as well as a balcony with views into the rainforest... so not much of a view haha! Having said that I spotted Bornean Gibbons from the balcony within minutes of my arrival. The food was also good with a light breakfast served prior to early morning trek and a full breakfast served upon your return. Lunch and Dinner were both basic but excellent and there was always plenty to eat. I'm not a fussy eater though, but I doubt many people would have trouble here and I'm sure they'd cater for any special requirements if known about in advance.

Bornean Gibbon taken from my balcony

Bornean Gibbon Waiting

Adolescent Bornean Gibbon

Adolescent Bornean Gibbon

It's obviously hit and miss what you see on any safari but I came away from Tabin thinking that you just had to see something of note during any stay there. Tabin is superb for birding and I also had amazing encounters with Flying Squirrels as well as a fleeting glimpse of a Slow Loris; but sadly no photos of it. I also had a fantastic close up encounter with a Paradise Tree Snake which was hunting lizards and saw but didn't get too close to a spitting Sumatran Cobra was crossing the road from/to the reserve.

Paradise Tree Snake

Paradise Tree Snake

You'll trek through the rainforest in search of large primates, various species of birds, pygmy elephant, Clouded Leopard, Leopard Cat, Civet etc as well as Mouse Deer, Sambar Deer and various types of squirrel and not to mention the reptiles. It's never dull and there was always something to see. The Lipad Mud Vlcano is also on the list of places to visit and during my visit I saw a Falconet, lots of Bearded Pig and some Macaques.

The biggest surprise here is how much wildlife you see in the Palm Oil Plantations rather than the rainforest, Civets and Leopard cats as well as Kingfishers, owls and various raptors (I lost count of how many Crested Serpent Eagles I saw). The night drive and night walk really afford you the chance to see the animals and birds from close range and to see a flying squirrel glide from the top of a high dipterocarp tree is really something.

Leopard Cat

Leopard Cat

Being Scottish and not too used to the heat and humidity of the rainforest I found it very tiring. Throw in the early starts and late finishes and I was literally falling into bed each evening after a beer and a review of the days photos. Also remember to wear mosquito repellant to keep not only the mosquitos but also the sand flies at bay. I got leach here, on my nipple of all places... remember to tuck in your top when you go trekking, and take some sachets of salt as they drop off immediately when you apply it to the bite area.

I spent 2 nights here and for me it was enough for me as I was really excited to be moving on to Danum Valley, but I would love to go back.

Feel free to ask questions as I'm sure I'm omitting lot's of detail.

Part 3...

Danum Valley.

Danum Valley (Primary Rainforest) is simply stunning. The first thing I'd recommend is that you book, or upgrade to, a Deluxe Cabin if you can afford. The views alone are well worth the extra cost, and you get an outside tub to cool off in between rainforest treks.

View of the lodge from the viewpoint

Borneo Rainforest Lodge

The view from the lodge to my cabin

Danum Deluxe Cabin

In front of my cabin I had around 15 Blue Throated Bee-eaters hunting as well as good views of Woodpeckers, Prinia, Spider Hunters and Munia... amongst others. The view across the meadow and river leads up to the rainforest proper and is stunning.

The view across the meadow

Danum View

Blue Throated Bee-eater

Blue Throated Bee eaters

The thing that surprised me about Danum is the amount of trekking I did as part of a group. The rainforest was an amazing environment, but I felt like it always seemed to be about getting from A to B rather than enjoying the journey itself and having time to explore the different types of flora and fauna in any detail. I shouldn't grumble as I had an amazing experience here, but I felt that I'd have had a better time had I organised my own guide to suit my specific requirements.

Having said that I did have close encounters with Mother and Baby Orangutans and Red Leaf Monkeys as well as being chased by Pygmy Elephants... and seeing a rare Black Headed Pitta and a couple of Paradise Flycatchers. I could have spent twice as long here, but these 3 nights cost as much as the other 7 nights did added together! It isn't cheap at the Borneo Rainforest Lodge but the place is fantastic and the staff can't do enough to help you.

Orangutan Mother and Baby encountered on the first trek

Danum Orangutans

Red Leaf Monkey or Maroon Langur

Maroon Langur Baby Sleeping

As well as the flora and fauna of the rainforest the sounds are incredible, especially the Cicadas, which make an evil high pitched sound when you're up close and personal with them! There are different times for different groups, it's almost like an alarm call, 6am... 3pm... 6pm... But the other sounds, like the trumpet of a far off Pygmy Elephant, or the call of an unknown bird or primate make the evenings a fantastic experience. You know you're somewhere special.

Pygmy Elephant Calf

Pygmy Elephant

I was only there for 3 nights and felt that I could have easily spent another 2 or 3 nights there, but as it cost the same for those 3 nights as the other 7 nights of my trip added together I'm not sure my wallet could have stood it. I'm already thinking of going back next year to do it justice, There is just so much on offer that I think it's just one of those places you have to return to. Spending an evening sitting at a viewpoint on the Danum River listening to Pygmy Elephants eating across the water and waiting for them to appear as the sun goes down was such a wonderful experience.

The sun goes down on the Danum River

Damum Evening

The three nights passed so quickly that it seemed like I was only there for the blink of an eye, but the photos remind me of all the amazing things I saw. My top tip if you go is to take good, broken in, walking boots and a decent poncho as well, you'll need them. As well as that a hat and some sweat rags are also handy.

Next instalment is the journey down the Kinabatangan River

I've been to Sabah twice and both times were at Easter... and both times have been amazing experiences. I don't think it matters when you go as the climate is pretty much the same all year round in the 'land beneath the wind'. Temperatures range from 27 - 32 deg C and humidity from around 70% - 100%(in the rainforest). I think it's more important to have an itinerary that suits your needs and good guides, Borneo will provide the rest whatever time of the year you visit.

Sadly, there are many areas where the oil palm plantations stretch for as far as the eye can see, but in Danum Valley I'm glad to say that it's the exact opposite, it's lowland Dipterocarp rainforest as far as you can see. An organisation called Infrapro is implementing a reforestation programme to regenerate the rainforest in the wider Danum area with great success.

@ Safari Cal.... Even if you are used to the humidity it is really, really tiring. Some outstanding sightings and really makes me regret I had to cancel plans to go this week (since I have to be here, at work, today :angry:). I've heard lots of good things about both these locations and there are a couple more to explore but rather more difficult to travel in due to lack of accommodation.

It'll generally be wetter (and possibly some days troublesome) during May to November due to the more frequent and heavier rain then, but Safari Cal is right that travel is possible all year and there isn't a general seasonality to the wildlife. Personally I'd try to go December to April but I'm a sissy and that is based on comfort rather than the wildlfie.

I travelled around Sabah during a September and it only rained twice during 2 weeks, once overnight and a heavy shower during one morning.

If we do not go to Africa in 2014, we will probably go to Borneo next September. However, this time we will be going to the Kalimantan area in Indonesian Borneo specifically for Orangutan.

Edited by Zim Girl

@@Safari Cal the Danum Valley and Borneo Rainforest Lodge look and sound fantastic. How delightful to see pygmy elephants, do you if there are regular sightings of these animals from the Lodge? Red leaf monkeys and orang-utans too, what a great stay. The blue-throated bee-eaters are like jewels.

When you did the game walks, did the scouts leave the lodge well before you and radio sightings in to the lodge guides? I read somewhere a while ago that BRL had changed its guiding policy and that groups went out in response to a spotter's alert rather than setting out on a game walk and seeing what nature sends.

Were the leeches a real problem around the lodge?

I have to be honest, I'm really not sure about the weather patterns personally, however, having checked online I don't believe there is a great difference in temperature or precipitation in this part of Borneo throughout the year.

@@Treepol

I think it's just the luck of the draw if you see Elephants or not, but I can say that I saw them last year on the Kinabatangan and was lucky enough to see them on foot in Danum Valley this year and on the Kinabatangan from a boat. My girlfriend Laura saw them on both these occasions and in October where she was lucky enough to see them playing in the river; she got some marvellous photos.

You are correct in that the guides do all have radios, but we headed out in different directions each morning and if any of the groups spotted anything they would alert the others who would come running. There do seem to be spotters out through the night or early morning, but when we spotted the elephants it was just luck as they came very very close to the site power station (generator house) and were spotted by one of the electrical engineers who alerted everyone... so the spotters were a bit slow on that one haha. There is loads to see though, you won't be disappointed I'm sure. But as I said in my trip report, I'd recommend you book your own guide if you don't want to be trudging after a group and would rather concentrate on a specific area such as birds, primates, reptiles etc. It will make your stay much more enjoyable.

Leeches weren't a problem, I got leeched once during the trip at Tabin by a tiger leech... you can feel those bite you! It was my own fault as I hadn't tucked my t-shirt in, but it was a one off and I didn't hear of anyone else being bitten during my stay. It was very dry in Danum Valley though, so it may be different when it's wet. I did flick a leech off my girlfriends leech socks on a couple of occasions as well, but that wasn't an issue. Good leech socks are essential and give you a little bit of reassurance.

@@Zim Girl

We must have seen Orangutan on 9 different occasions during our Easter trip. At Danum Valley we got a mother and baby from very close range, although it was a bit dark in the rainforest for decent photography and again just south of the Abai Jungle Lodge we struck gold with a clutch of them over the space of a morning, including one descending from a tree to the ground, another mother and baby, and a female picking fruit from the riverbank in front of us... amazing. I hope your trip is as lucky as ours was :)

Final instalment...

Kinabatangan River

From Danum we went back to the Kinabatangan River, which we had visited at Easter 2012. The lodge consists of a main building surrounded by the rooms accessed along a boardwalk; which is pretty standard at every lodge. Everywhere you go there are boardwalks to keep you off the ground and away from leeches. In the main buildings you have to go barefoot to keep these areas clean.

On your first night at Sukau you're asked to wear a sarong, it isn't compulsory, but it is custom and there is a brief training session on how to put it on. There is also a video show on the Proboscis monkey which is worth viewing... and not only because it's in the only air conditioned room in the lodge.

We met our guide Basri at Sukau, and our boat operator, Sabran. At Abai our boat operator was Anwar, who has eyes like a hawk on steroids! Between him and Basri there isn’t a lot that goes unnoticed.

The first sighting at Sukau during the afternoon boat safari was a Wagler's Pit Viper, a beautiful green pit viper with darker green stripes along it’s body (these are red edged cream stripes in juveniles). After this came a succession of primates and birds as we cruised along the river, Dollar Birds. Green Pigeons, Macaques, a Hornbill flying overhead…

Wagler's Pit Viper

Coiled Spring 2 1

After the trekking in Danum Valley and Tabin it was also a joy to have the chance to rest my legs and let the cool river air take the heat off my body, I think I may have had a permanent smile on my face during this safari!

The afternoon boat safari takes you to one of the many small tributaries of the Kinabatangan; the one we travelled up can be seen at the start of Attenborough: 60 Years in the Wild. You're almost guaranteed to see Macaques and Proboscis Monkeys, as well as Oriental Darters and the odd Kingfisher here.

I was lucky enough to see and photograph Proboscis Monkeys coming down to the river to drink on this trip, I was so chuffed at seeing that, for me the Pit Viper and the Proboscis Monkey were the highlights of a great first safari.

It was wonderful to see the Proboscis Monkey drinking from the river

Drinking Proboscis Monkey

It's such a magical experience you just don't want it to end, but eventually they turn the boat around and head back to the lodge as the light starts to fade.

Time for a shower before heading to the main building in our Sarongs for dinner and some initial photo processing… and a bottle of their finest white wine.

Because we'd gone out as part of a group the previous evening we hadn't got the shots of the Wagler's Pit Viper that we’d wanted so Laura asked Basri if there was any chance of going back out in the morning before the other guests were awake to take some more shots. Both he and Sabran were only too happy to take us across the river whilst it was still dark and to let us get off the boat to get some great close up shots, albeit they were at ISO 3200. We got back in time for breakfast with the others and to watch them head off on their morning safari.

We were moving on to Abai today and had packed our gear away and were ready to go by 7am. The beauty of being on the river is that when you move locations it’s always a safari along the river to the next location. During our transfer we saw more Macaques, Proboscis Monkeys, Oriental Pied Hornbills and a Stork Billed Kingfisher. It’s just such a brilliant place.

Once at Abai we had time to put our bags down and have a breather, there was even time to explore the boardwalk which extends a decent distance into the rainforest and from which you can sight all manner of animals and birds, although the humidity starts to rise as you move further from the river, time to start sweating again!

Lantern bugs, more Proboscis Monkeys, hairy caterpillars and Dragonflies to try out my macro lens on before heading back out on a river safari after lunch.

Heading down river we came across a male Pygmy Elephant feeding and drinking by the riverside and a really close encounter with 7 Orangutans as well as a Brahminy Kite, Lesser Adjutant, Dollar Birds and more Proboscis Monkeys.

Orangutan picking fruit from a tree Oriental Pied Hornbill flying overhead

Orangutan Foraging On The Kinabatangan River

Oriental Pied Hornbill

We stayed out into the evening for a night time boat ride as the fire flies started their dance and the birds perched for their night time rest; which is incredible really given the noise generated by the Cicadas.

Scanning the riverbanks the guides look for the reflection of the torch in the eyes of whatever they can see. This evening we were very lucky to find a perched Black Capped Kingfisher, a very rare spot these days. Thankfully I managed to get a few shots before it flew off when another boat arrived.

Lucky us to see this little gem: Black Capped Kingfisher

Black Capped Kingfisher

After this we were lucky to see Blue Flycatchers, numerous spiders, Praying Mantis, Stick Insects, Buffy Fish Owl and a Brown Hawk Owl.

An amazing afternoon and night safari, we celebrated back at the Lodge with another bottle of white whilst we transferred the photos to our laptops and external hard drives. A lovely dinner followed, the food was much improved since the previous years visit thanks to a new chef. After dinner it was definitely time for bed ready for the final early morning safari to the Pittas Oxbow Lake.

It was morning before we knew it and our final safari beckoned.

Setting off on the safari

Last Morning

This morning we headed out half an hour before everyone else. Basri suggested this as he thought there was more chance of catching a few animals and birds by the riverbank just before the sun rises above the tops of the trees and before there’s too much noise to scare them away.

It was such a wonderful start to the day to be the only ones on safari and to see the sun rise across the tops of the trees and envelop the riverbank in its rich warm glow.

The sun breaks the horizon

Kinabatangan Boat Trip

We had a magical last morning with Silver Leaf Monkeys, Herons, Oriental Darters, Macaques – who tried to wee on us, Stork Billed Kingfishers, Lesser Adjutant, Proboscis Monkeys, Lesser Fish Eagle and Silver Leaf Monkeys to name but a few.

A stork Billed Kingfisher takes off

Stork Billed Kingfisher

The highlight for me though was the Long Tailed Macaques who were just so full of character. We watched them mating, playing, screaming, weeing and generally getting up to mischief.

Macaque

Look Of Surprise

Baby Macaque On Way To The Pittas Oxbow

Sadly, before we knew it we were back at the lodge and found ourselves with next to no time at all to pack our things for the journey back to civilization – Sandakan, for our flight across the island to Kota Kinabalu for our 2 nights at the Shangri La Rasa Ria Resort. I won’t post that part of the holiday as it was just a chance for us to kick back and relax after 7 days on safari and to enjoy some time with each other rather than with our cameras!!!

Please let me know if you have any specific questions about our trip and I’ll do my best to add some extra detail.

Thanks for reading,

Cal

Excellent again. Really this looks like a very successful trip.

You mentioned about having your own guide - is that just an option on booking (that you didn't take at Danum Valley because it was already expensive) or would you have to arrange someonw to come with you to some places?

kitefarrago

Thanks very much for this report. Great pictures you have there too! I particularly like the viper and the flight picture of the hornbill. That part of the world has been on my `maybe some time in the future' list, but you're making me think again!

@@pault

It was something we didn't think we'd need as our time at Tabin had been focused very much on wildlife, upon arrival at Danum we didn't realise it would be different, especially after such a wonderful start with a mother and baby Orangutan, I guess it was on the second day when we had an afternoon climb to the view point instead of the planned early morning walk with the misty views that we realised this wasn't ideal for us... on the way up after spotting a Paradise Flycatcher and having to route march after the group instead of waiting for a better photo opportunity was a bit annoying. But that was heading into the second night and there was only one day left... I did feel like I was carrying my cameras just for the exercise at times though.

You can book specialist guides at Danum Valley for which there is an extra cost, possibly in the region of £50 per trek. Having been there we'd definitely do that next time.

@@kitefarrago

Many thanks, glad you found it enjoyable and liked the photos. If you need any contacts let me know, we used Naturalis based in Kota Kinabalu and they were fantastic, producing a bespoke itinerary for us to suit our preferred route.

This all sounds wonderful, definitely something to think about for 2015 onwards. Could you provide some details about booking?

Did you book everything direct with the lodges, or did you use a Malaysia/UK agent? How did you arrange the transfers between each of the accommodations?

@@Treepol

All international flights were self booked. For everything else we went through an agent in KK for everything else. My girlfriend is a Biology teacher living in Hong Kong and luckily goes to Borneo at least once every year - as she organises a school trip for around 20 kids - and has used one agent in particular each time.

We worked out where we wanted to go and in what order and then handed over our rough itinerary to our agent, Luca, an expat Italian who has lived in KK for the last few years, and let him flesh out the details for us. He booked all accommodation, transfers and internal flights on our behalf. It all went like clockwork throughout the whole journey.

Luca met us on the first evening at the Hyatt to give us an update on the security situation and to welcome us to Borneo before we set off on our adventure which was a nice personal touch, and everyone we met along the way whether they were guides or drivers transferring us from one location to another were really helpful talkative people. On one occasion, as we were leaving Danum our driver, Riswan, pulled over and took us into an area where he could show us flying lizards and a Black and Yellow Broadbill, he wasn't a guide, but wanted to add something to our experience. He had so many anecdotes and really made the transfer an adventure in its own right. That's the type of people we dealt with wherever we went.

Our agents details are:

Luca Viola

Travel Consultant

Naturalis Expeditions | Web: http://www.naturalis-expeditions.com

Blog: http://www.naturalis-expeditions.blogspot.com

Phone: +60 88232749 | Mobile: +60 172116749, skype: kuala22905

Lot 16-2 Block B, Damai Point, Luyang 88300 Kota Kinabalu, Borneo, Malaysia

Hope this helps. I'm sure there are lots of agents out there, and I'm also sure they all offer similar itineraries and standards of quality, so shop around and I'm sure you'll find something that fits your exact requirements.

Great report Cal!!!

It was always on my somewhere to visit list ......your report has pushed it well up the list! B)

@@Rainbirder

Cheers Steve, you would love it in Borneo mate, it's getting shots like this that keeps dragging me back

Proboscis Monkey

It's so different to Africa, but in a really good way. However, it's still Africa that gets me more excited when I think of going on Safari :D But there's still more for me to see and do in Borneo, so maybe another trip to be organised in 2014. I really want to see the Pantanal and Amazon as well though! Choices choices!!!

However, first things first, I'm looking forward to our Kenya Safari in the summer, going back to Samburu after a decade and spending 7 nights in the Mara is going to be awesome :D

kittykat23uk

Pantanal is simply amazing! Borneo is definitely looking like a possibility for next year though.

@@kittykat23uk

I may have to pick your brains on the Pantanal, as well as reading a few trip reports. My girlfriend Laura just joined ST (@@laurab from Hong Kong) and we're still trying to work out next years adventures. Africa keeps calling me back and Borneo/Asia keeps calling her back. So it's difficult to drag ourselves away from our regular safari destinations, but we really should make the effort to try somewhere new :D

Thanks, I'll check it out now.

• 2 weeks later...

Cal,

Thanks for this informative trip report. I went to Sukau and was on the Kinabatangan. Being chicken, that's about all I did. It was done up as a photo safari, with a boat that could take our tripods and it only had our party of 3. There was also a boatman, a guide (Hamit) and pro-photographer/owner Cede Prudente on board. If you've seen the BBC documentary (Borneo Expedition I think it was called), Cede is the guy who was bitten by a snake and nearly had to be flown out by helicopter to a hospital (fortunately he was all right and did not need further medical attention).

Doing the river and tributaries on a boat is the closest to a safari game drive I can think of. I've posted lots of pictures of this on my flickr site but I probably should write up a trip report for ST. I can empathise about the tough shooting conditions - bright sunlight, followed in quick succession by shade, dappled light - the subjects don't always cooperate :-)

Knowing that I would be on a boat and not trekking, and I could bring a tripod, I brought my big bazooka (400/2.8) as my main weapon of choice, and had a 70-200/2.8 on a another camera body.

Your TR has made me think of doing some actual trekking. Like you, I very quickly look like I've just climbed out of a swimming pool (this happened to me at the orangutan sanctuary outside Sandakan).

If you were out trekking again through the rainforest, what would be your lens choices? I always agonise over what lenses to leave at home.

John

Hi John

I am so sorry about my very late response. I am not naturally a techy and often tend to avoid my computer after work which doesn't help. I have, however, just taken the time to upload my very first album on Borneo 2013, the trip I took with @@Safari Cal which was amazing. He did a great job of reviewing our trip and the contact he suggested i.e. Luca at Naturalis is excellent. I may have been a little tongue in cheek about my introductory comment on HK wildlife. It's not Borneo or Kenya that is for sure!!! I do try and do a few things though such as plan my trips elsewhere (joke!), go to the Geographical Society lectures, get into macro (an ongoing challenge) and try and find a few activities e.g. the night walks being offered at Mai Po marshes by WWF is next on the agenda. It would be great to meet up with you, your wife at some point soon so we can compare notes. @@Safari Cal wishes he could come too as he is a great photographer and I am sure the pair of you would have a lot to discuss. Luckily, he will be moving here next year so there will be another addition to the HK party. While I am on here and having finally upoaded my album, I am also going to get on with writing a small review of the Richard Knocker lecture I went to see at the end of last month.

Hope to hear from you soon

Best wishes

Laura