Birding in Uganda.

Game Warden

Game Warden

Who has been and what do you recommend? Best companies/guides to use, (specific for birding perhaps), best time of year, best locations etc.

What rarities might you be expected to see?

kittykat23uk

My friend Keith has been, I think he saw around 500 or so bird species. He is a keen birder, :)

Game Warden

Your friend Keith needs to be on ST: that number is almost a big year count ;)

kittykat23uk

Yeah I know, I keep trying to cajole him into joining, but he is hopeless!! :(

• 2 weeks later...
owenshaffer

Can anyone recommend a travel agency in Uganda which does birding safaris? I'm interested in going in a small group and staying medium and luxury accommodation. I can go in June,July, August and September.

Thank you for your kind regards,Owen

kittykat23uk

@@owenshaffer if you are looking at joining a birding group tour, maybe look at naturetrek, sunbird, rock jumper. I haven't been on trips with any of these companies, but am aware that they focus on such group tours.

• 4 months later...

Hello friends at safaritalk,

Yes, i love your topic about birding in Uganda. Uganda is one of the richest country in Africa concerning birding. Specific areas are well known for having rare species; Kibale forest national park is know for the Green breasted pitta, lake Albert and the Victoria delta in Murchison falls national park is known for the Shoe billstork, Semliki valley Np is known for the rare red billed dwarf hornbill, black dwarf hornbill, white crested hornbill among others. The Fox's weaver on the slopes of Mt Elgon. If one is interested, there are several birding expeditions including the "Mult-habitat" birding safaris. However, there are several companies; Kifaru African Expeditions, Birding Uganda and many others can serve you better. The choice is up to the guest to chose. Always rely on recommendation.

Edited by David-Baluku

@@David-Baluku Welcome aboard David. I do look forward to your contributions about Uganda.What is your own favourite area for birding? Matt.

Thanks for your compliment, I like birding in Semliki and kibale forest. However, Budongo forest is also lovely.

• 1 year later...

Am for , the best birding spot would be Buhoma, the last time I'v been there i saw about close to 100 birds in almost six hours. it was really great. of course it also depends on the luck of the day

On 7/6/2013 at 7:43 PM, Game Warden said:

Who has been and what do you recommend? Best companies/guides to use, (specific for birding perhaps), best time of year, best locations etc.

What rarities might you be expected to see?

~ @@Game Warden

This is a great topic, as it asks relevant questions.

My friend and guide, Anthony Gitau, has talked with me about a possible visit to Uganda, driving in from Kenya.

All that I've ever heard concerns shoebills. Our late @@graceland had looked forward to the possibility of sighting a shoebill had she visited Uganda.

I haven't heard much in the way of specifics about other birds, or rarities.

At times I've heard of certain scarce warblers, sunbirds and weavers being frequently sighted in Uganda.

I'd been interested in Bwindi Forest, thus the comment by @@yigajols about Buhoma Lodge, which is in Bwindi, having spotted 100 birds in six hours is remarkable!

The recommendations from @@David-Baluku are also highly useful.

It's great to read these suggestions from Safaritalk members who are Uganda residents. Many thanks for posting that!

I'm also interested in your question about best time of year. Are most Uganda birds more or less readily observable year-round, or is there a particular recommended season?

Thank you for this topic and to those who have replied.

Tom K.