Show us your butterflies...

pomkiwi

I've been trying to get out to see butterflies locally but the weather has not been particularly helpful with lots of cool cloudy days and when the sun appears it is often windy. However a few have been around locally.

This is a common blue although I find it uncommonly beautiful...

_MH17347.jpg.4313d1b6745e46fb8246bab759e65bfe.jpg

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Towlersonsafari

• inyathi

• offshorebirder

• Game Warden

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's one to get us started: From my holiday in India. Taken outside Tadoba NP in the lodge grounds.   This one's a plain tiger. A fairly common species in Central India.     The owners of the

This one we did see a specimen of but I didn't get a shot on this occasion, so here is an older one taken with the Panasonic FZ18   swallowtail butterfly by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

Continuing this vague voyage among butterflies that last year I had never heard of, we wnent to see the Black Hairstreak butterfly yesterday-this is what Butterfly Conservation say about it-  

Posted Images

pomkiwi

This small copper was trying to warm up...

_MH17871.jpg.83fb40323a5b0f92265bbaa5b379dde9.jpg

pomkiwi

The buddleja bush in the garden attracts some of the more showy butterflies but they often prefer the upper branches providing some photographic challenges as these peacocks demonstrate.

_MH17735.jpg.88c9181bbf58f875b7df5ae4d53ffdac.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Towlersonsafari

When i was supposed to be gardening on saturday i was distracted- very easily done- by what I think were several Small Purple & Gold micro-moths (Pyrausta aurata) having never heard of such things until this year and seeing  the common Purple and Gold in August-the "small" is a whole 2 mm smaller, but it does have amore  broken yellow line across the fore-wing

_8284954_DxO.jpg

Towlersonsafari

And forgive my indulgence but I really liked this photo of a comma butterfly

_8194800_DxO.jpg