Show us your butterflies...

Game Warden

This small copper was trying to warm up...

_MH17871.jpg.83fb40323a5b0f92265bbaa5b379dde9.jpg

The buddleja bush in the garden attracts some of the more showy butterflies but they often prefer the upper branches providing some photographic challenges as these peacocks demonstrate.

_MH17735.jpg.88c9181bbf58f875b7df5ae4d53ffdac.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Towlersonsafari

When i was supposed to be gardening on saturday i was distracted- very easily done- by what I think were several Small Purple & Gold micro-moths (Pyrausta aurata) having never heard of such things until this year and seeing  the common Purple and Gold in August-the "small" is a whole 2 mm smaller, but it does have amore  broken yellow line across the fore-wing

_8284954_DxO.jpg

Towlersonsafari

And forgive my indulgence but I really liked this photo of a comma butterfly

_8194800_DxO.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Towlersonsafari

a new-for me- moth! the red Underwing (Catacala nupta)

_9044983_DxO.jpg

• 7 months later...
Towlersonsafari

Lots of butterflies are about nnow and i managed to photograph the Holly Blue  Celastrina argiolus- it is the first of the "blue" butterflies in the uk to fly (so if you see a blue butterfly in April it is a holly blue0 and has, to me , a somewhat manic flight-also it has no brown on its underside. the first Spring brood lays eggs on holly the second summer brood on ivy These were taken in the garden

_5072886_DxO.jpg

_5072935_DxO.jpg

Towlersonsafari

we were wandering round our local nature reserve and saw some small black looking moth like creatures with very long antenna- apparently they are micro moths the green longhorn Adela reaumurella

_5052837_DxO.jpg

_5052850_DxO.jpg

Towlersonsafari

and today we went to dunstable downs in serach of the Duke of Burgandy butterfly-very local distrubution in the uk and second time lucky. it is a member of the metalmark family-the only one in the uk and nobody knows why it is called the Duke of Burgandy. the scientific name is Hamearis  lucina- a small low flyying butterfly with the males very keen to chase any other butterfly that comes near its perch.this was a first for us and there were a lot about.In france i undertsand they call it La Lucerne and in germany perlbinde- because of the 2 bands on its underwing- and in Sweden and Holland the primrose butterfly after its food plant (it also uses cowslips)

_5083111_DxO.jpg

_5083022_DxO.jpg

Towlersonsafari

And finally one of my favourites, the Green Hairstreak  Callophrys  rubi

_5083057_DxO.jpg

Orange Tip butterflies mating (and the first successful capture I've managed of a butterfly in flight). Taken with my Nikon D500 and PF500 lens as getting close enough to use a macro lens was not an option here.

DSC_9051-Edit-2.jpg.cc5a92e1e5ab88e5875d125dd92cdf8c.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
Towlersonsafari

It seemed rude not to go on the guided walks to see possibly Englands rarest butterfly, the Chequered skipper, Carterocephalus palaemon reintroduced to a wood in Northamptonshire from Belgium stock as the butterflies inhabit the same habitat as found here- there is a population in te west of Scotland but they  are found in grassland/moor and use different food plants. it was last seen in the same wood in 1976 prior to the reintroduction. it is a small fast flying butterfly

_6020943_DxO.jpg

Towlersonsafari

vry excited this morning as had just got into the car to go to the office when noticed this just outside the front door- a humminbird hawk Moth  Macroglossum stellatarum  so got out of car rushed back into house got camera fired off a lot of shots- and some were not bad! very fast moving- was only there for about 2 minutes after i got the camera and even 1/5000th did not freeze wings

_6071029_DxO.jpg

_6071032_DxO.jpg

Excellent @Towlersonsafari!  I see those in my lilacs here in Alberta (I think it is the same or very similar), but I have unfortunately never had camera to hand when I've seen them.  Have taken lots of pretty pictures of swallowtails in the lilacs, but the hummingbird moth must have known I had my camera out and stayed away :lol:

Towlersonsafari

Thank you @MMMim-yes i think it is the same species-although there is also the Hummingbird clearwing moth in Canada- i was very surprised mine waited around long enough for me to photograph it!

• 2 weeks later...
Towlersonsafari

it is Black Hairstreak  ( satyrium pruni ) time in Northamptonshire- and it is a very obliging butterfly-regularly feeding on bramble flowers. The hairstreak family were named for the white lines seen on the underwings possibly first recorded by Mr james Petiver (1665-1718)

_6111319_DxO.jpg

Towlersonsafari

and the first of my favourite butterfly, the Marbled White (Melanargia galathea)  are emerging- we found some for the first time in our local nature reserve although that may be because we are not very observant

_6151368_DxO.jpg

_6151395_DxO.jpg

• 1 month later...
Towlersonsafari

there has been second broods of similar looking butterfles-at least from some angles- the brown argus Aricia agestis, and common blue polyommatus icarus. the female common blue looks a lot like the brown argus save for a bluish tinge near the body and with the wings closed the brown arus has a thin black line as a border the white edges. apparently both species second broods are very small in size- the hot weather has accelerated their race to maturity but without the energy to get to their normal size. here are a selection of both species.

_8061001_DxO.jpg

_8040839_DxO.jpg

_8040887_DxO.jpg

_8060986_DxO.jpg

Small tortoiseshell from a trip to Lincolnshire, UK a few weeks ago.

butterfly1.jpg

• 1 month later...
Towlersonsafari

probably the last uk butterfly I will photograph this year- 2 weeks ago a small copper late brood

_1010601_DxO.jpg

• 4 months later...
Towlersonsafari

if the brimstone is your yfirst butterfly you see in any year than that year is lucky according to old wives-sadly this was the second as a tortioshell woke up in the conservatory

_2201937_DxO.jpg

• 2 months later...
Towlersonsafari

more butterflies are emerging for the new season, including this Grizzled skipper (Pyrgus malvae)

_5074774_DxO.jpg

_5074808_DxO.jpg

• 1 month later...
Towlersonsafari

a new species for us, the Wood White  (Leptidea sinapis) the smallest white butterfly in the Uk and found in woodland rides in the midlands and south West- there are some woods near Silverstone that are strongholds. It is also fund in aprts of ireland where it acn only be told from the Crptic wood white bu looking at its genitalia through a micrscope! the Cryptic wood white was only "discovered" as a new species in 2011- not suprising really.  it has since been found in quite a few places in Europe.

_6250725_DxO.jpg

_6250756_DxO.jpg

Common Crow, Undara Lava Tubes, Queensland, May 2023

757-Commoncrow.JPG.4afae4091ae0bd2532c3514e4927e2cc.JPG

758-Commoncrow.JPG.93edf512bf8d3fef0011f81d39ae76b7.JPG

Ulysses Butterfly, Atherton Tableland, Queensland, May 2023.

553-UlyssesButterfly.JPG.f3e62a3f0edbc4cd12b47b2c9044b7f5.JPG

554-UlyssesButterfly.JPG.35e33edf7ed5e0fce346acf6d1dc5358.JPG