Maiden safari for the city folks

Kitsafari

@@Kitsafari just found your report following your reference to Tarangire in my report - wonderful photos and details. You had some amazing sightings!

I also got the impression that you support LFC..........anyway YNWA :D

Thank you for the kind words. Yes, I've supported LFC since Ian Rush days, and my husband supports Leeds Utd, so thank goodness we don't compete at the same league!

africapurohit

I'm surprised you're still married :D

@@Kitsafari I forgot to ask.......when we were at Oliver's there were 2 guides from Zimbabwe (who were in charge of the walks and fly camping) - one was Lewis but can you remember the name of the other guide?

I forgot to write it in my notes.

Edited by africapurohit

LOL! Well, you know those vows on the wedding day, for good or for worse......

@@africapurohit - we had a private guide at Oliver's (which had just celebrated their 21st anniversary!). But i recall meeting another gentleman who was supposed to take us on the night drive, but in the end we got bundled up in another vehicle with a Mozambique family (lovely people) and Lewis guided us. i think the other gentleman was the other Zim guide you are referring to. unfortunately, i don't remember his name either. you could email justin/jackie to check - their email is olivers@asiliatanzania.com

@@Kitsafari I forgot to ask.......when we were at Oliver's there were 2 guides from Zimbabwe (who were in charge of the walks and fly camping) - one was Lewis but can you remember the name of the other guide?

I forgot to write it in my notes.

Should be Alex?

• 1 year later...

post-49296-0-68366600-1428489017_thumb.jpg

~ @Kitsafari:

That's the flamingo shot I've tried to make, but it's eluded me until now.

The intensely saturated rose and pink tones, but even more the reflectivity on the rippled water surface — Terrific!

That reflectivity is almost like mercury, which looks abnormally shiny on a tabletop.

post-49296-0-98900200-1428489191_thumb.jpg

Another shot that I've been looking for, and here you posted it a couple of years ago.

What I admire is the layered quality, yet the focus remains true out to the most distant wildebeests.

What a fine first trip report!

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie thanks much for reading my report! I love that shot of the flamingos too, and it was incredible for a first timer like me to see the flock, even if it is a tiny fraction of what they can be in those famous lakes. that was taken by my OH, but I'm accepting all the credit on his behalf! LOL!

It was pretty amazing to be surrounded by wildebeests and that was the start of my addiction.

@@Tom Kellie thanks much for reading my report! I love that shot of the flamingos too, and it was incredible for a first timer like me to see the flock, even if it is a tiny fraction of what they can be in those famous lakes. that was taken by my OH, but I'm accepting all the credit on his behalf! LOL!

It was pretty amazing to be surrounded by wildebeests and that was the start of my addiction.

~ @Kitsafari:

Your husband took the flamingo shot?

He did good!

In Kenya, my experience of their famous lakes has been more miss than hit. Nearly every visit to their shores had few to no flamingo sightings due to ongoing water rising in Lakes Baringo, Bogoria and Nakuru. I've been told that Lake Elementaita might be better.

Therefore the flamingo shots in your report was especially appreciated.

Eventually, after several safaris, Lake Nakuru had enough flamingos one morning for productive photography.

How your safari addiction started sounds all-too-familiar.

Are either of us making much of an effort to overcome it? Ha!

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie I'm not even trying to cure my addiction. I'm feeding it! I'm trying to go as much as I can before I retire and have no source of income. oh, that will be most dreadful even to think about it!

@@Tom Kellie I'm not even trying to cure my addiction. I'm feeding it! I'm trying to go as much as I can before I retire and have no source of income. oh, that will be most dreadful even to think about it!

~ @Kitsafari:

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto!

What you've written is word-for-word how I feel for identical reasons.

Thus every university vacation I'm on a flight to Abu Dhabi and points southwest.

What a pleasant addiction it is.

After we retire, are we signing on as camera, binoculars and cool drink carriers for affluent safaristas known to indulge in frequent two-week safaris?

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie haha Tom. Absolutely! I'll wash the toilets and wash the plates as well, just to be In the bush.

Hmm maybe I should start training for the hospitality industry.

@@Tom Kellie haha Tom. Absolutely! I'll wash the toilets and wash the plates as well, just to be In the bush.

Hmm maybe I should start training for the hospitality industry.

~ @Kitsafari:

Let's both specialize in the proverbial “discerning clients” who can't function in the field without someone to hand them the backup of their backup camera, or pour them another guava juice spiked with Red Bull, or the well-worn field guide to the fruit bats of the north central Ruwenzori.

Tom K.

I'm glad this was bumped! Luckily most of the pictures are still there.

The caracal must have been a huge reward for a maiden safari.

I really like the giraffe leaning on the tree on page 2 (post #21). Such a peaceful scene with the soothing greens & blues of the plains.

I'm glad this was bumped! Luckily most of the pictures are still there.

The caracal must have been a huge reward for a maiden safari.

I really like the giraffe leaning on the tree on page 2 (post #21). Such a peaceful scene with the soothing greens & blues of the plains.

~ @Marks:

Can you imagine?

Kicking off a life of safaris with no less than a caracal?

It seems that @@Kitsafari was destined for the rare beauty that one sees away from the hubbub of city life.

I've never even seen a caracal in a zoo, as a kid.

You're so right, these are nice photos!

Tom K.

@@Marks @@Tom Kellie thank you for the compliments. I also realised that some of the pictures have vanished. I'm not sure if it's because picasa wiped them out or I removed them by mistake! and i can't quite remember which photos they were. But i'm glad you both enjoyed my first trip report. I didn't even know how precious the caracals were until I saw the comments from everyone!

@@Marks @@Tom Kellie thank you for the compliments. I also realised that some of the pictures have vanished. I'm not sure if it's because picasa wiped them out or I removed them by mistake! and i can't quite remember which photos they were. But i'm glad you both enjoyed my first trip report. I didn't even know how precious the caracals were until I saw the comments from everyone!

~ @Kitsafari:

Yes, a caracal sighting is cause for celebration.

That yours came the first time on safari...well, that's a favorable portent for many happy safaris to come.

Tom K.