Off-season in the Masai Mara - The fabulous Mara Plains Camp in the OMC.

madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Dear All,

Just returned from a fabulous stay at Mara Plains in the OMC conservancy. Off-season really is the time to be in the Mara..... Quiet in terms of visitors on the ground, fabulous game viewing including the Loita migration and just a bloody good time!!! The new Mara Plains is awesome in every aspect from a service stand point.................

This is going to be a Picture report so here goes ........ will start with one.

post-308-0-45187900-1396632656_thumb.jpg

Welcome back Hari , good to see you had a great time in the Mara , i have seen your pictures in FB , really nice shots and great game viewing !

Looking forward to see them here at bigger size , this silhouette has a great mood !!!

Paco

I am looking forward to the report! And more pictures please :)! It is the only way to survive between safaris :)

Welcome back and looking forward to your report, Hari. Brings back fond memories of time spent with Richard & Lorna last year, incidentally when Mara Plains was in the midst of construction. Waiting to hear all about the magnificent new Mara Plains. As someone who has seen both the old and new you will be able to compare the two well. Hope Richard & Lorna are well.

Looking forward to this one Hari..Had a bit of a tease on FB but cannot wait to see the larger images and perhaps a few of the new Mara Plains! Sounds like an awesome time.

Welcome back Hari, looking forward to more of the photos.

madaboutcheetah

Thanks, all ....... Sure will do!

@@AKR1 - Richard and Lorna are doing very well ...... Richard is now conservancy manager for OMC, so very much around and they were both very nice to come join us for dinner one evening. Sean and Amy are doing a great job running Mara Plains. Yes, the camp is glamorized and they have wifi etc etc (in the rooms) but still very tastefully done. They still have a great ethos there, if you want to stay out for lunch they send it to you etc etc., I get the feeling that they are only busy during the peak periods (so was the rest of the Mara for that matter) very quiet ....... never really had the jamboree of vehicles.

Will also have a report from Mara Entim where I spent 6 nights. Game in the reserve this time of the year was rather quiet........ hardly any plains game (although the plains area around Rekero was really phenomenal).

madaboutcheetah

Portrait of Malika (she was on the edge of the reserve) and making her way into the conservancy from the looks of things. Frustrating as it was - spent the entire day hanging out with her and she probably made the kill after sundown. She was on a full stomach when we found her very early the next morning.

post-308-0-00842700-1396664562_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Amani and Cub (I spent most of my time at Mara Plains with these two)

post-308-0-06579600-1396664704_thumb.jpg

In!

We'll just pepper you with questions to make this more than a photographic report, Hari.

Come on everyone...... @@madaboutcheetah wants questions!

Nice start anyway. You found your cheetahs - very much looking forward to seeing what they got up to! What a lovely picture of Malika.

madaboutcheetah

Patterns in mist ........ A nice start to the day!

post-308-0-49632700-1396683074_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

More from that misty morning.........

post-308-0-74510200-1396683191_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Quickly found a lone topi before the fog would quickly lift .......

post-308-0-07497200-1396683360_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

A recent safaritalk obsession ;) .......... A big Eland bull.

post-308-0-37779400-1396683491_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

After wanting a Giraffe silhouette every morning (no giraffe for miles) - suddenly one appears!!!

post-308-0-17490900-1396689980_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Malaika the super-model (again!!!)

(not to take away any attention from her - any safaritalkers seen Shingo lately in their visits to the Mara???)

post-308-0-02680900-1396690078_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Okay will squeeze in another portrait ........... Spent all day with her. Lunch brought out for us...... She really is a super-model - look at the background she provided me (crisp and clean)

post-308-0-88234200-1396690243_thumb.jpg

Great start Hari and I love the cheetah cub! Pen

marvellous pix of the lady cheetahs. love the #18 image with the tongue just curled up as she yawns. cheetahs still my most fav cat in africa and you captured them so well.

when were u specifically in mara plains please? pardon my ignorance (!), but what does the OMC stand for please?

madaboutcheetah

Thanks, all ......

@@Kitsafari - just got home yesterday ;) ........ March 29-April 3. OMC stands for Olare Motogori conservancy; formerly Olare Orok conservancy which merged with Motogori subsequently ..........

I met with guests from Porini (at a coffee break) and they were raving very highly of the sightings at the Ol Kinyei conservancy where Porini holds exclusive rights to traversing the conservancy. Apparently phenomenal viewing of cheetah and Lions, plus a very varied landscape (on my list) .......... Naibosho is another conservancy quickly developing a strong cheetah reputation. That I heard from my guide Daniel of Mara Plains.....

Edited by madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Fig; the Leopardess ............. (I rushed from Amani and Cub to this sighting only to find her in a lugga below ground). I did have awesome Leopard and cub while at Entim (to come later when I edit those images). Updates on Fig's mum Acacia; She has two cubs currently between Mara Plains and Porini somewhere (seen by Askaris; but keeping clear from us :) ) ........... Did you guys know Bow and Yellow are the same???? he's the big guy on the block ..........

post-308-0-48101000-1396694116_thumb.jpg

Great start, Hari. How long were you in the Mara altogether? Beautiful giraffe silhouette. 'Patterns in the mist' is very poetic - both the image as well as the name :)

Ol Kinyei is very worth the visit, I totally agree.

Edited by Sangeeta

madaboutcheetah

Thanks, sangeeta ..... Was with friends at Entim for 6 nights and then Mara plains for 5 nights. The future for the Mara strictly lies in the hands of the conservancies ..... Can you tell me more about ol kinyei?